If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server Beta Builds Repo (Now with Docker!)

dynomite567dynomite567 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Introduction

I own a raspberry pi, and when looking on google for how to make it into a Plex Media Server, I was redirected to this forum. It was a great setup and easy to install! When I wanted to do the beta builds I saw that they were in deb packages that had no repo and you had to install manually. That gave me an idea to create this repo. I created it to help with easy installation and automatic updates through apt-get.

Repo

If you are interested in the repo I made for the beta builds, here is the link:
https://pmsb.dynodev.ga

Instructions on how to setup is in the repo page. Any updates to the page will be posted here.

Docker

There is a Docker image available for these beta builds, check it out here: https://hub.docker.com/r/dynomitecentral/plex-beta-armhf/

Disclaimer

This repo is made to be for those who want an easy installation or automatic updates of the beta builds of the Plex Media Server. Also, as mentioned below by uglymagoo, these packages must not be used to get the beta links to supported releases.

Questions?

If you have questions, feel free to ask them here. I will help out with any request stated in here the best I can.

Note to uglymagoo (the birth of this thread)

Hello uglymagoo,
As the beta builds thread is now officially locked to moderators, I am posting my response here. I completely understand why you would think I am packing malicious content as I am just a community member posting about this, and I completely understand that this is not personal. Honestly, if I was in your spot, I would do the same thing. The whole reason I wanted to create the beta repo was that I wanted to make installing beta builds of Plex Media Servers on an armhf or arm64 device a bit simpler. I didn't want any donations or any recognition but I just wanted to help the community out by doing this. Thanks for everything you do.

-Dynomite567

Repo Maintainer for Plex Media Server Beta Builds for armhf devices: PMS Beta for armhf/arm64

Comments

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 977Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited April 16

I do not say that you are packaging malicious content. It's enough that you could and therefore I believe it's not a good idea to steer users in the announcement thread directly to your repo or the repo of anybody else. At least at the moment.

It's also a problem to support Plex on the RPis if I do not have a little control over the package scripts / installation procedure. Most threads here in the RPi section are about fixing the problems that have been created by broken / stupid tutorials or SD card images on the internet :( That's why we have this category and the two announcement threads now :)

Why don't you just change the title of this thread and make it the home base / support thread of your Beta repo? The RPis are still not officially supported, so I was told it's not a problem to post user created packages of Betas for unsupported devices. Just don't post the links to Betas of supported devices somewhere ;)

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• ImCoKeMaNImCoKeMaN Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

Awesome news, I'm sure that would help a few people keep their pi up to date. Please keep your repo going @dynomite567 I'm still on a super old version with the beta DVR that records to MKV, but having the beta builds was awesome before DVR was built into the standard, and I'm sure will have a few early fixes or other features for people. Thanks for your support @uglymagoo glad to see this forum!

• dynomite567dynomite567 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@uglymagoo said:
    Why don't you just change the title of this thread and make it the home base / support thread of your Beta repo?

You know, that's not a bad idea, changing!

@ImCoKeMaN said:
    Awesome news, I'm sure that would help a few people keep their pi up to date. Please keep your repo going @dynomite567

Thank you! I will keep the repo up of course :)

Repo Maintainer for Plex Media Server Beta Builds for armhf devices: PMS Beta for armhf/arm64

Updated the post above to include the repo link. Enjoy!

edited May 8

Updated repo to version 1.13.0.5003
    Please run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to get the update!

I have created a docker image to support beta updates for armhf devices! The link can be found here: https://hub.docker.com/r/dynomitecentral/plex-beta-armhf/

edited May 8

Plex update on the same version. Repo updated to compensate.
    Please run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to get the update!

Docker also updated, bugs found in the updater. Make sure to pull the latest image!

edited May 15

Repo updated to 1.13.1.5063.
    Update your server by running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Repo Updated to 1.13.2.5102
    Update your server by running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade