If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

iOS Plex App doesn't play movies anymore

KlaaasiKlaaasi Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey there,

I've got a problem with the iOS app of Plex.
A few months ago it randomly stopped playing movies... I keep getting the "connection to server is too slow, please check your connection"... TV Shows with the same 1080p resolution play just fine though.

I've tested it via Infuse 5 and it all works flawlessly. There are also no problems via Safari on my MacBook Pro. So it's definitely not a server nor internet connection problem.

Is this an known issue? Are there any fixes planned? this draws my complete experience useless....

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• KlaaasiKlaaasi Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@sa2000 said:
    Thanks for trying

Will need a file that fails - the smallest file you can provide

But lets first (if you have not done already) try to re-analyse the media file in case that resolves the issue

See https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289336-analyze-media/

Nope, does not fix it.
    It has to do something with the app handling large files... Infuse has no problems with the files and the same movie worked just fine before new year...

I'm uploading the failing file and will send it to you as soon as its done.

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,286Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,620Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The iOS app has been broken with different issues for a long time.
    They ask for logs and never fix it. Then they ask for more logs and never fix it. Then they ask for more logs ...
    I don't think they know how to fix it. Or, an equally likely scenario - they don't care.
    Just use Infuse. I have been using for a week now, works great.
    It even allows you to download movies to your device in a small fraction of the time it takes Plex to fail at the sync.

R Sava

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,286Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited April 23

@rsava said:
    They ask for logs and never fix it. Then they ask for more logs and never fix it. Then they ask for more logs ...
    I don't think they know how to fix it. Or, an equally likely scenario - they don't care.
    It even allows you to download movies to your device in a small fraction of the time it takes Plex to fail at the sync.

Please point me to recent posts where logs are being ignored and I will look into it

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

@rsava said:

Well, it’s clearly the app that’s broken. But it’s just movies for me. TV shows play flawlesslly.
    Infuse works without any buffering, downloading starts right away.... does infuse support the DVR feature? I’d like to add an antenna.

Which brings me to my next problem. My NVIDIA shield doesn’t show the latest PMS update. It’s stuck on 1.4..... and google play says 1.12..... is the latest. Do i have to wait for the update to show up or can I fix that somehow? It’s not possible to activate DVR with this server version yet.

@Klaaasi said:

@rsava said:

Well, it’s clearly the app that’s broken. But it’s just movies for me. TV shows play flawlesslly.
    Infuse works without any buffering, downloading starts right away.... does infuse support the DVR feature? I’d like to add an antenna.

Which brings me to my next problem. My NVIDIA shield doesn’t show the latest PMS update. It’s stuck on 1.4..... and google play says 1.12..... is the latest. Do i have to wait for the update to show up or can I fix that somehow? It’s not possible to activate DVR with this server version yet.

PMS 1.12.3.4973 is the current version to install and you should be able to get that from Google Play

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

@rsava said:

PMS 1.12.3.4973 is the current version to install and you should be able to get that from Google Play

After 2 days of waiting. The update finally showed up on google play.

What do I do with the logs then?

It's clearly something with the app since it works with Infuse 5, via Safari on my MacBook and iPhone. Not a single buffering.
    It's just movies somehow..... Would love to fix that... It's not useable at this point.

Any help would be really appreciated.

@Klaaasi said:

It's clearly something with the app since it works with Infuse 5, via Safari on my MacBook and iPhone. Not a single buffering.
    It's just movies somehow..... Would love to fix that... It's not useable at this point.

Please attach the two zips here plus details of what was being played and the time

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,620Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sa2000 said:

@rsava said:

Please point me to recent posts where logs are being ignored and I will look into it

I never said logs were ignored.
    I said they ask for logs and nothing gets fixed.
    You guys (most of the ones who used to be just users but are now "Plex Team Members") do a great job in working in the forums and looking at logs.
    The problems still exist for a large majority of the users of both the iOS and the tvOS apps.

R Sava

edited April 23

@rsava said:

@sa2000 said:

@rsava said:

I never said logs were ignored.
    I said they ask for logs and nothing gets fixed.
    You guys (most of the ones who used to be just users but are now "Plex Team Members") do a great job in working in the forums and looking at logs.
    The problems still exist for a large majority of the users of both the iOS and the tvOS apps.

Without logs problems cannot be investigated.

With logs they have a chance of getting fixed and most issues do get fixed.

The only big issue on tvOS affecting many users that I am aware of, is the one here http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/301672/eac3-dd-dolby-digital-plus-is-direct-playing-but-silent-on-tvos-and-ios#latest and user tests of a beta candidate release have been successful and this is coming out in version 1.13.0 of Plex Media Server which will be out as beta very soon

You can see the release notes for Plex for iOS and Plex for Apple TV and Plex Media Server - I am surprised you say they ask for logs and nothing gets fixed
    http://forums.plex.tv/categories/release-announcements

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

Please attach the two zips here plus details of what was being played and the time

I’ll try to do that tomorrow.
    Thank you in advance. I’d love to get this fixed. It worked flawless few months ago. Also downloading content doesn’t work quiet well via the plex app. It just doesn’t work and gives an error instantly. While using the infuse app, downloads start right away without any problems.

• MacLindaMacLinda Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@Klaaasi said:

tested it via Infuse 5 and it all works flawlessly.

Thanks for the mention of an alternate media server! Plex has worn out their welcome with me...

@MacLinda said:

@Klaaasi said:

tested it via Infuse 5 and it all works flawlessly.

Thanks for the mention of an alternate media server! Plex has worn out their welcome with me...

I am sorry but the app cannot forever support all old versions of Plex Media Server.
    Advance warning was given with the preceding release - in March 2018 in release note for 4.27

Note: In an upcoming release, the minimum supported version of Plex Media Server will be increased to 1.3.0. Please upgrade your servers.

Version 0.9.16.x of Plex Media Server go back to 2016

edited April 30

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

I'm sorry it took me so long, but I've been busy all week.
    I'll attach log files from the iOS app. Somehow I don't get a zip file when downloading the log files from the server, and i can not attach the whole folder....
    I'm running PMS on NVIDIA Shield (latest version) with PMS with Version 1.12.3.4973

Times:
    14:15 - movie via the iOS app
    14:16 - TV Seres via the iOS app

It started to happen since January I'd say. I've been running PMS on a Raspberry Pi before and did upgrade to the NVIDIA SHIELD tv in hope that this fixes the issue. But it didn't...

any help would be appreciated....

with regards,

EDIT 1:
    Finally got the zip file of the server logs.
    all data below for today, 30th April 2018. I've used the same movie and TV Show for every test.

14:13 - movie via Safari on my Mac __ works
    14:14 - TV Show via Safari on my Mac __ works

14:15 - movie via iOS App (Plex) __ does not work
    14:16 - TV Show via iOS App (Plex) __ works

14:17 - movie via Infuse 5 iOS App __ works
    14:17 - TV Show via Infuse 5 iOS App __ works

@Klaaasi said:

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

I'll attach log files from the iOS app. Somehow I don't get a zip file when downloading the log files from the server, and i can not attach the whole folder....
    I'm running PMS on NVIDIA Shield (latest version) with PMS with Version 1.12.3.4973

Times:

It started to happen since January I'd say. I've been running PMS on a Raspberry Pi before and did upgrade to the NVIDIA SHIELD tv in hope that this fixes the issue. But it didn't...

with regards,

EDIT 1:
    all data below for today, 30th April 2018. I've used the same movie and TV Show for every test.

Thank you - could you get me the media info xml please for both of these items
    See https://support.plex.tv/articles/201998867-investigate-media-information-and-formats/

Could you produce a 5-minute clip from the movie file and see if that goes into buffering and stops as well on iOS when direct playing

We can then use the sample to get the problem looked into
    If it does fail in same way, please could you get me fresh logs zip as well as the media info xml and the clip - may need to upload to dropbox or similar service and share link - which can be sent by Private Message

edited April 30

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

Times:

with regards,

EDIT 1:

See https://support.plex.tv/articles/201998867-investigate-media-information-and-formats/

Could you produce a 5-minute clip from the movie file and see if that goes into buffering and stops as well on iOS when direct playing

If it does fail in same way, please could you get me fresh logs zip as well as the media info xml and the clip - may need to upload to dropbox or similar service and share link - which can be sent by Private Message

I’ll try my best and will upload the new data when I find the time for it.

edited May 1

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

@sa2000 said:

@Klaaasi said:

Times:

with regards,

EDIT 1:

Okay, here we go:

I've made a 5 minute clip of the movie and it works perfectly - no buffering.
    I've also happened to find a 720p version of the movie on my PC and tried that too... with no success.

Details for my new testings (1st May 2018):

• 13:08 long movie (1080p) via Safari on Mac __ works
    • 13:07/08 short movie (5 min, 1080p) via Safari on Mac __ works

• 13:10 short movie via iOS App (Plex, 1080p, 5 min) __ works

• 13:11 long movie via iOS App (Plex, 1080p) __ does not work

• 13:14 long movie via iOS App (Infuse 5, 1080p) __ works

• 13:13 short movie via iOS App (Infuse 5, 1080p) __ works

• 13:25 long movie via Safari on Mac (720p) __ works

• 13:27 long movie via iOS App (Infuse 5, 720p) __ works
    • 13:28 long movie via iOS App (Plex, 720p) __ does not work

Attached are all logs and files you asked for.
    There seems to be something wrong with big files... other movies in 720p with lower quality and less size play perfectly.

Thanks for trying

But lets first (if you have not done already) try to re-analyse the media file in case that resolves the issue

Accepted Answer

@sa2000 said:
    Thanks for trying

Nope, does not fix it.
    It has to do something with the app handling large files... Infuse has no problems with the files and the same movie worked just fine before new year...

I'm uploading the failing file and will send it to you as soon as its done.

edited May 1

I've also got the same exact problems with the Plex app on my Samsung tv (running tizon). The big sized movies don't load at all... they give a direct error message "something went wrong with the media". All other media play just fine with no buffering at all. All those movies played just fine few months ago.

I'd love to fix that... I was really enjoying Plex until that point and invested a lot of money in Hardware for the server and a lifetime Plex pass :(