If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BUG: Nvidia Shield remote model P2575/P2920 causing Plex to crash when scrolling

FrostyWolfFrostyWolf Posts: 249Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited April 25 in NVIDIA SHIELD

This is a weird one.
Shield Model: P2571
Shield Version: 6.3 (24.32.406.472)
Remote Model: P2575, P2920

Plex Version: 6.16.0.4271 (0bedfc04)
Plex Server Version: 1.12.3.4973

I have the Shield remote that has the headphone jack with the rechargeable battery. I can 100% duplicate this error by scrolling through On Deck on the plex home screen 1-3 times. It will crash.

If I use my TV remote (via CEC) it does not crash. It only crashes when I hold the button to scroll, if I tap it, it is fine.

I notice the remote (while holding down a button to scroll) scrolls VERY quickly. The TV (CEC) remote scrolls 1/3~1/4 the speed. My best guess is Plex is just getting overloaded and crashing. This is the remote that came with my Shield, and it only effects Plex, the other apps I have on the Shield handle the faster scrolling fine.

Best Answer

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,255Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

do you have the game controller? does it do it with that?

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • FrostyWolfFrostyWolf Posts: 249Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 25

4 1/2 scrolls with the controllers D-pad lead to the same crash. Just scrolling left and right on my On Deck.

EDIT: A second test, it crashed before finishing one complete scroll.

EDIT2: I've had this bug since I got my Shield. (Along with the 1 second then skip to next episode bug https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/308666/shield-tv-playback-stopping-and-queuing-next-item/p1)

Since getting my shield, I have switched my PMS from windows to unraid (a complete overhaul to a new system), two system updates for the shield, and countless plex client and plex server upgrades. If there is anything you need to help track it down, just let me know, it's annoying as hell to have to remember (and tell everyone else) to not hold down the button to scroll.

Listen, I've been using plex and these forums for a long time, the fact that you told me you filed a bug report is like spotting a unicorn already, if you gave me a ETA I might just have a heart attack from the shock.

Joking aside, thank you! It's been one of those "annoying but not annoying enough to report" bugs but I had a handful today that I needed to report (or chime in on some other persons report) so I figured I would include this one as well.

• LevictusLevictus Posts: 6Members ✭✭

I have the exact same problem with same specs. I am using my phone to navigate now which seem to work without issue. Hope this gets fixed.

@Levictus said:
    I have the exact same problem with same specs. I am using my phone to navigate now which seem to work without issue. Hope this gets fixed.

I found that if I only tapped buttons on the remote, and didn't hold any down for longer then a second, it works fine, but yeah, it's super annoying.

• ProfitCProfitC Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the info. Do you think replacing the battery might change anything?

Plex Media Server - Synology DS215+
    Storage/NAS - Dual 4TB in Raid 1
    LiveTV DVR - HDHomeRun Prime with Fios/ Hauppauge WinTV DualHD USB TV Tuner (works with NVidia shield)
    Clients - Apple TV 4 / Nvidia Shield (2017) 16GB / HTPC/Game Desktop / Apple TV 3

• LevictusLevictus Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@ProfitC said:

I don't see how a battery causes plex to crash. And this is the old model where the battery is usb charged, can't be changed.

You are right, FrostyWolf. Just tapping buttons works. But as soon as you hold it down to scroll, plex freeze up and crashes.

@ProfitC said:

The remote has a a USB charge battery. I got a replacement remote from nvidia that didn't change the issue.

• JabberwockieJabberwockie Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@FrostyWolf said:
    This is a weird one.
    Shield Model: P2571
    Shield Version: 6.3 (24.32.406.472)
    Remote Model: P2575, P2920

Plex Version: 6.16.0.4271 (0bedfc04)
    Plex Server Version: 1.12.3.4973

I have the Shield remote that has the headphone jack with the rechargeable battery. I can 100% duplicate this error by scrolling through On Deck on the plex home screen 1-3 times. It will crash.

If I use my TV remote (via CEC) it does not crash. It only crashes when I hold the button to scroll, if I tap it, it is fine.

I notice the remote (while holding down a button to scroll) scrolls VERY quickly. The TV (CEC) remote scrolls 1/3~1/4 the speed. My best guess is Plex is just getting overloaded and crashing. This is the remote that came with my Shield, and it only effects Plex, the other apps I have on the Shield handle the faster scrolling fine.

Same thing is happening for me. Scrolling at high speed with the controller can crash Plex everytime.

edited May 11

Reporting this bug is still happening on:
    Plex for Android 6.17.0
    Plex Media Server 1.13.0.5023