If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Hardware transcoding on N2810

Jay PatrickJay Patrick Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all. First time post here :)
Does anyone have any experience of how the N2810 performs with hardware transcoding? Here in the UK this is by far the cheapest nas which supports this.

Also it would be great to know if the dvr feature works well too?

I love the idea of having pms working smoothly on a nas rather than leaving my laptop on constantly.

Answers

• gregoryperkinsgregoryperkins Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would expect pretty badly. I have the w2000 with windows server, but it is limited to 4g of memory. Any transcoding kills the system, it's just a little slower than the n3050. It works fine if I can direct play.

• Jay PatrickJay Patrick Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks Gregory.

Does the w2000 support hardware transcoding? Or is it the ram which is the bottleneck?
    If so I think I might be better off just buying a cheapo nas and making sure all the media is converted for direct play.

Cheers