If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K HDR transcoding

Magnav0xTGMagnav0xTG Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would really like for Plex to finally be able to transcode 4K HDR files to lower qualities with EITHER tonemapping OR without losing HDR - it would be sick if both things where to happen bot one of them needs to happen asap because I really like Plex and it would be a shame if I had to go with another program just because Plex doesn't keep up with the current technology.

What do you guys think about that? How many of you already have a big 4K library and are missing this feature as bad as I do? And does anybody have a workaround till Plex gets this implemented that does not include having 1080p copies of every movie?

Comments

• johneszkajohneszka Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd like that a lot

• Zombie TechieZombie Techie Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 3

Post deleted.

• wilson yuwilson yu Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is this the reason why my 4k transcode looks so grey and lack of color?!

• Magnav0xTGMagnav0xTG Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wilson yu said:

Yes thats the reason and it is annoying. I have no problem if plex says that one loses the HDR when transcoding but at least do tonemapping so that the colors are not washed out. I have an extensive library and enough power to transcode 4K movies so I would like to be able to watch these movies at a friends house or when I am at my college dorm like 5 days a week!

• wilson yuwilson yu Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Magnav0xTG said:

@wilson yu said:

Yes thats the reason and it is annoying. I have no problem if plex says that one loses the HDR when transcoding but at least do tonemapping so that the colors are not washed out. I have an extensive library and enough power to transcode 4K movies so I would like to be able to watch these movies at a friends house or when I am at my college dorm like 5 days a week!

Wow that is really bad... Can I get a refund for my lifetime membership? :/