If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Issue with new refresh rate switching feature. Possible bug? 720p24 content outputs at 50hz

DJ CallymanDJ Callyman Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Best I can tell, anytime I play any of my 720p movies, the TV's mode will change to 50hz. If I go into the xbox settings and disable 50hz mode, the videos will successfully change the display mode and play in 24hz. The problem with doing this is that all of my PAL tv content will then be displayed using 60hz which causes judder.

1080p movies seem to correctly change to display mode to 24hz even with the 50hz option enabled in the xbox's settings.

Any thoughts? Before the display mode switching feature was introduced I never payed much attention to this but now I'd like to make sure it's working as intended. Anyone else notice this?

Answers

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,630Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hi there. To answer why this is happening we'd need to know which display modes the Xbox One can switch to and and the resolution/framerate of the media you're playing. You can grab this information by enabling logging in the app, playing the affected media, and then posting server logs here. I can give a better answer as to why it's picking a particular display mode over others with that information.

• DJ CallymanDJ Callyman Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for you help Moussa. Here are the logs.

I played a couple of different files. Some 1080p ones that correctly select the 24hz mode and a couple of 720p files that played at 50hz.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,630Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@DJ Callyman Thanks for the logs. From them I can glean that your TV supports 7 display modes. Excluding the 3D ones, there are 4:

1920x1080 @ 23.976023976023977Hz
    1280x720 @ 50Hz
    1920x1080 @ 50Hz
    1920x1080 @ 59.94005994005994Hz

Could you post the media info XML for one of the files affected?

@Moussa said:
    @DJ Callyman Thanks for the logs. From them I can glean that your TV supports 7 display modes. Excluding the 3D ones, there are 4:

1920x1080 @ 23.976023976023977Hz
    1280x720 @ 50Hz
    1920x1080 @ 50Hz
    1920x1080 @ 59.94005994005994Hz

Could you post the media info XML for one of the files affected?

I've included the xml for one of my 720p videos. Thanks again for your time with this, though now I think I know what's going on.

I rechecked and sure enough - if I disable the 50hz mode in xbox settings then 720p videos will successfully switch to 24hz - but at 1920x1080.

I guess since my tv doesn't support 1280x720 @ 24Hz it prioritises 1280x720 @ 50Hz first and then 1920x1080 @ 24Hz. I'm just not sure what is making this decision. Is it Plex?

@DJ Callyman Thanks for the logs and media info. Indeed as you have deduced a matching resolution is higher prioritised than a matching frame rate in some circumstances. And yes, it is our app that decides which display mode is best suited. I think in this instance it makes more sense to match the frame rate than the resolution. I'll look into this.

That's great, thanks for looking at it Moussa.

• PartyMarvPartyMarv Posts: 1Members

Hi Moussa, I believe I may be having the same issue. Recently many of my 720p files have appeared choppy on playback. I was only able to fix this by unchecking the "Allow Display Mode Switching" option on my Xbox one app. I was unsure how to check the framerate in my attached log files.

• brendanmcdevittbrendanmcdevitt Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. I’m not sure if this a bug or a feature. For me it comes across as an annoyance, but I could be missing the benefit of it.

@brendanmcdevitt said:
    Same issue here. I’m not sure if this a bug or a feature. For me it comes across as an annoyance, but I could be missing the benefit of it.

Moussa has already conceded that it would make more sense for the app to be prioritising frame rate over resolution and play 720p files at 1080p@24hz.

Can confirm that after buying a new tv (no not just because of this) I'm still having exactly the same issue.