If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

NVIDIA SHIELD Plex Player not working anymore - Issue after update

Samuele2723Samuele2723 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Dear all, my name is Samuele and i'm a Plex user since a year and more. I've bought a Nvidia shield to have both a Plex Player and server.

In general the Plex app for Shield has been little bit buggy since beginning but now i'm not able anymore to play any video file since a month.

here my setup:

PLEX MEDIA SERVER: 1.12.3.4973
PLEX MEDIA PLAYER: last version available on PlayStore Android
SHIELD UPDATE: 6.3
PLEX IPHONE APP: last version available on App store
TIME CAPSULE connected via ethernet with Nvidia Shield.

• Any time i try to play a video i get my loading buffer going endless. The media is available (on a shared network) but seems it get stuck in the loading.
  • The movie plays fine from Mac web app.
  • The movie is stuck when trying play in Plex Shield Player.
  • The movie is stuck when trying play in IPhone plex App.

I can't understand if my issue is the player or the server. I get the stream fine only from my web app in my laptop.
In the past everything was going fine from any player.

Please can any support me?

Thanks

Comments

• kentemplinkentemplin Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I second this. Same issue here. What’s going on lately? Everything was smooth sailing for months with my Plex and now it’s rapidly falling apart to the point where I’m almost ready to bail on the whole platform.

• MrBeardyManMrBeardyMan Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting the same.

I'm using the Shield as the Plex server, I can't seem to get more than ~20mins into a show without the playback getting stuck. Usual message is that the server is not fast enough, but it is clearly not a server issue as playback via the web interface works fine.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,417Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Please provide logs from BOTH the app and the server after recreating this issue.

• vibbanvibban Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me.... Its unusable

• aeroweb340aeroweb340 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Thinking to switch to an Intel NUC. Both server and player are a joke on that Nvidia shield! So unstable. When I am away from home I cannot even reboot the server. So frustrating !!!

• Samuele2723Samuele2723 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Please provide logs from BOTH the app and the server after recreating this issue.

Please, could you tell me which log do you want to see?

These are the ones in PLEX MEDIA SERVER folder

Where to find the Plex Player one in shield internal memory?

Thanks

• donyzzdonyzz Posts: 170Members ✭✭
    edited May 12

My issue is the the app play button doesn't register. It just doesn't do anything. I have to go to more and play version then it plays fine. This is only affects the watch later feature(plex queue) for me. This is on 2 nexus player so perhaps similar issues to the shield.

My guess is its something to do with the Exoplayer V2 .

I've direct message the log and image of issue to plex.

edited May 13

UPDATE: I've tried to full reset my shield TV and Plex Server\App.

After full reset i keep the same situation, when i play from PLEX SHIELD APP all videos are stuck loading (only 1 is playing). This happens also if video is internal memory of shield so is not a network issue.

The same video player from a Macbook connected to the same PLEX SHIELD SERVE works fine. Seems therefore a PLEX PLAYER SHIELD issue.

Any tips? any error report that can help? here the SERVER log when i try to play a file:

• stuartf1stuartf1 Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    Does disabling auto frame switching help? I've had issues with that in the
    past.

@stuartf1 said:
    Does disabling auto frame switching help? I've had issues with that in the
    past.

How do you do that?

• stuartf1stuartf1 Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    In player app, settings, advanced
  • sylvainsfsylvainsf Posts: 21Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was having this issue this morning and the only thing that worked for me was to uninstall all updates to the plex app and re-apply them. Now things are working fine.

• sylvainsfsylvainsf Posts: 21Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I spoke too soon. Now even though everything is verified as direct play the plex app on the Nvidia Shield is no longer triggering my TV to go into HDR mode so all my HDR content is washed out.

• MercMDownMercMDown Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I second that. I'm having similar issues. When I search for meta data, its choppy, only finds certain TV shows. I have to "Fix Match" . Also, I use to be able to play 4k with no issues and 1080p clips, I get endless buffering ring. This just started to happen this week. I think they broke something. I pay for this software so they need to put out a statement or something. This sucks.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,417Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Samuele2723 said:
    UPDATE: I've tried to full reset my shield TV and Plex Server\App.

After full reset i keep the same situation, when i play from PLEX SHIELD APP all videos are stuck loading (only 1 is playing). This happens also if video is internal memory of shield so is not a network issue.

How did you play this file from the local storage? Did you use a file explorer and then use "Open with" and choose Plex?