If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Subtitles

dalowedalowe Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Read through several posts but have not yet found the answer, and am still confused. Is there a way to use Plex but optionally with subtitles? In other words, to have the ability during a movie to turn on or off, dynamically, subtitles?

If so, I imagine that depends on how a movie is brought into Plex. I have a purchased DVD. When I rip it to my server, I have the option of including subtitles or not. But if I include subtitles in the rip, it appears that I am stuck and they are always on when I play in Plex--no way to turn it off. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 2,047Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

when ripping a disk, subtitles are usually included in an image-based format (e.g. VOBsub for DVDs or PGS for Blu-Rays). This is basically a sequence of pictures where each picture represents one subtitle -- each of them with a timecode when to appear/disappear.

There's a lot of clients which cannot deal with those picture based subtitles. Also... formats like e.g. mp4/m4v don't support embedding them.

Therefore, many apps interpret "including" a subtitle as "burning them in" -- what this does is basically it merges the subtitle picture with the video and outputs 1 combined video. This is usually called hard subtitles (because they're hard-coded and cannot be switched off).

To allow turning subtitle on/off, you need to get them into the movie container as a separate stream (same as video or audio tracks). This is called soft subtitles.

• Option 1: use a container which accepts image-based subtitles (e.g. MKV) -- assuming your client can deal with them. You can do this e.g. with MakeMKV (which will directly create a soft subtitle while ripping it) or MKVToolNix (which can mux the subtitle file into an existing MKV file)
    • Option 2: get a text-based version of the subtitles and mux it into your existing video (MKV but also MP4/M4V, others) -- many clients can deal with those. You can use a service such as SubZero or subtitles.org to download the right files for your movie... alternatively you can use an app to convert the image-based original subtitles into plain text (like a scanning app which recognizes the letters) -- there's a number of apps which can do this with varying quality results. On my Mac I used to use Subler which automatically converts the image based subtitles to text based ones (SRT) when adding them to a movie.