If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Getting original quality streaming - 1080i

joelshortjoelshort Posts: 94Members ✭✭

I could use a little guidance on how to get PMS to stream original quality full 1080p content without buffering. What I'm doing is recording OTA HD TV broadcasts and streaming to an Xbox One via gigabit ethernet connections.
My equipment:
AMD Ryzen 5 3.0GHZ PC with 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD
HDHomerun
Linksys Gigabit router
Xbox One

The videos are recorded by NPVR as uncompressed .ts files. When I try to stream at original quality the stream buffers. I need to set the quality to the highest 720p for smooth playback, and even then when skipping through commercials it takes a while to buffer.

It seems to me that with my equipment and direct ethernet connections I ought to be able to stream full 1080p content without any trouble.

If someone has any suggestions or point me to some reading on the subject I would appreciate it.

Best Answer

• joelshortjoelshort Posts: 94Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks to a tip by someone, it appears as though the problem was my recordings were done in .ts format which was forcing transcoding vs. direct play. Now my recordings are automatically saved as mp4 files and so far streaming has been smoother and at full HD resolution. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The thing I don't get is that for probably three years I've been saving recordings as .ts files and streaming them over Xbox One without problems. Then a few weeks ago something changed I started getting buffering and streaming failures.

Answers

Anyone? This is starting to get on my nerves.

In the Xbox plex app I disabled direct stream and direct play, and for a bit I thought the issue was fixed. Video streamed at original quality with little buffering. I watched a couple of shows and all worked well. The next show stopped about 2/3 of the way through buffering and never recovered. Even stopping and restarting the show didn't work. This has now happened in half of the shows I watch. I re-enabled direct play and direct stream and I'm back to 720p resolution. Frustrating.

Accepted Answer

Thanks to a tip by someone, it appears as though the problem was my recordings were done in .ts format which was forcing transcoding vs. direct play. Now my recordings are automatically saved as mp4 files and so far streaming has been smoother and at full HD resolution. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The thing I don't get is that for probably three years I've been saving recordings as .ts files and streaming them over Xbox One without problems. Then a few weeks ago something changed I started getting buffering and streaming failures.

• Tdawg410Tdawg410 Posts: 60Members ✭✭
    edited May 18

Xbox One?

Dude they've fubar'd the app so much you never know what's going to play and what's not... And if it does play you'll probably run into and endless cycle of buffering every 3 to 5 minutes.

It's an absolute disaster since last October and the fixes are seemingly never coming. I still just want regular FF and RWD that we lost almost 9 months ago.

Yes, Xbox One. And so far streaming is going well. I can skip through 3min of commercials and it buffers for maybe 5-10 seconds before the recording starts playing again. That's FAR better than I was seeing before and I can live with it. I'm playing 1920x1080 15mb/s AC3 content.