If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Please devs release Roku Plex outside the proprietary store! Some of us cannot access it!

Jarrod_Jarrod_ Posts: 2Members

I recently got a free rebranded Roku device from my ISP. Unfortunately some faceless suit at the company thought Plex would hurt the bottom line and they do not offer it on their app store.

I can access dev mode and 'sideload' an old version of Plex from github but the version is quite dated and is missing all of development work from at least the last two years that has made the user experience a lot more palatable.

Could we get a version from outside the Official Roku Store? If you were releasing the source code only two years ago in 2016 I don't see why we can't have at least an official build available somewhere else in 2018 -- unless there has been a considerable change in policy and philosophy at Plex...

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,981Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since the developer mode uses a version of the code that can be directly read and even changed and Plex considers the code for the new version(s) proprietary they will never release the new Plex app in a manner that can be side loaded.

The new version of Plex has little or none of the code from two years ago so the ability to side load the old code in no way implies that the new code will also be able to be side loaded.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

• Jarrod_Jarrod_ Posts: 2Members

Hmm, that's what I suspected.

What a combo of bad luck that:
    1. Roku dev mode reads plaintext source files (only?)
    2. Plex goes proprietary
    3. Telstra doesn't support Plex

The consumer screwed again by closed source systems. Particularly the Australian consumer.