If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex library keeps on updating unless disconnected from network drive

clarkmahyclarkmahy Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My library will constantly update if I am connected to my synology drives within finder. The only way it stops is if I go and disconnect the network drives within finder. I have updated to the latest server version (64 bit) and am using a 918+ with 4 WD 8TB red drives with double redundancy. The behavior is that it will scan for a few seconds, finish the scan and wait a few seconds and then scans it again.

I have gone through a painstaking process of renaming every single media file to be consistent as well as removing all extraneous files that don't serve a purpose. All that is left is actual movie files and srt subtitle files. I have logs available if needed to troubleshoot. Thank you in advance for the help.

Best Answers

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,309Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

What did you use to name and structure your media? FileBot?

This sounds more like a MAC issue as Synology doesn't have 'Finder'.

Can you give an example of your naming including type of media? Move, TV, Music

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• clarkmahyclarkmahy Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 16

I did use Filebot - and since I am a novice tech-head I bought the mac version. My files are name with the following scheme: {n} - {y} ({vf {vc}) - so Avatar - 2009 (1080p x265). The folders are just named with the name and year so Avatar - 2009.

Naming structure for TV is {n} - {S00E00} - {t}, so Firefly - S01E01 - Serenity

Correct that I am using my iMac to manage the file folders, but just that the synology has a connection to a computer should not trigger a scan every 2 seconds, imo.

Thanks for helping on this!

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,309Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited May 16

I see what's happening.

Your naming convention for movies isn't quite correct.

{n} - {y} ({vf {vc})

Should be:

{n} ({y}) [{vf {vc})]/{n} ({y}) [{vf {vc}]

The year goes inside the parentheses ( ). Information which is informative to you goes inside brackets [ ]

Episodes are as you have named then: {n}/Season {s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Oh boy - let's start the renaming of over 1000 movies....

Thank you for the diagnosis. I'll start on that and get back here and report when it's done. Can you tell me why there's two of the same formats in your "should be"? It repeats after the "/" - also I don't need the last parenthesis before the last bracket, right and there should be a close bracket after the "f", right?

Given how filebot works, I can rename 700+ movies in a few minutes over the LAN. With everything matched and names good, It should be able to drop 50-100 at a time, spin a second to verify , then boom., done :)

Thank you for catching my typo! I've corrected the post.

Useful links

I finished up with renaming everything (it wasn't a nightmare like I had imagined) and waited for it to update everything in the library and for it to download everything - but it still basically continuously scans - one right after another.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,300Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Apparently, some software on your Mac is changing your media folders continuously, thus triggering a library update.
    I'd look for anti virus or some search indexer.

Try to disable automatic library updates in Plex.
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289526-library/
    It might be a viable workaround until you have found the culprit.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

I know about disabling automatic library updates - but I'd really like to avoid that if possible. I figured that it might show up in the logs and we could spot the culprit, but I'm not all that knowledgeable.

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,848Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Are you sure, that the Mac when looking at your medias, doesn't create hidden files/dirs with like tumbs etc?

And not a Mac nor Syno dude here, so pure guessing ;)

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

When enabling view hidden files, I see one hidden file but it is outside of the movie folder structure. It's called .apdisk but its at the same level as the movies folder in the hierarchy.

Open terminal on your Mac and enter this command:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Done

You should probably use File Station on the NAS to delete the .DS_Store files and folders as well.

I don't see these at all under either file station or finder

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 10,901Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited May 16

You wont see them in finder, but you should see them with File Station I think. Do a search for .DS_Store in File Station. I certainly see them in Windows at least.

Don't forget the . when you search.

Of course your Mac may not have finished indexing and may not have had time to write them to disk yet.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

I don't see them - I may have already deleted them when I tried to fix this a few weeks back before going through the Filebot process. I also stopped the Plex package from synology and restarted it before doing everything.

What else can we check?

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 10,901Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If you don't see them, that's a good thing, nothing for you to clean up.

Has Plex stopped indexing and are you sure it is Plex that is indexing?

If you have Video Station or Audio Station installed, they may also be indexing.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Can you clarify when you mean when you say indexing? I do have Video station installed and I'm uninstalling it now.

Uninstalled video station and no change, library continues to scan every 5-10 seconds

Ah the magical reboot for the settings to take effect. Looks to be resolved now. Thanks all for the help in diagnosing and fixing this. Much appreciated.

Nevermind, I hadn't yet connected to the shared drive in finder. Once I clicked into the drive, the updates kept rolling. Here are the logs.