If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How much internet data is used when all streaming is done on a local wifi network?

dtoldtol Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I have limited data from my internet provider. There are no such things as unlimited data plans in Alaska. How much data is used if the server and all the streaming devices are on the local WiFi network? When streaming to a device off net, whose data is used, the owner of the offnet device downloading the content or data from the owner of the server? I am wondering just how expensive this system would be if massive amounts of data are used as content are streamed to multiple users.

Best Answers

Answers

• dtoldtol Posts: 3Members ✭✭

adamskoog, Thank you for your answer. Tells me Plex isn't necessarily the do all I was hoping it would be. I have a 250 gb plan and regularly use 100 gb per month on average. Occasionally if I have a bunch to upload or download, or, binge watch something I will use the rest. You said that if the server and the mobile device were both mine, the bandwidth used is mine. What if the mobile device is on someone else's internet account but streaming from mine? Are the usage charges still all mine?

• dtoldtol Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Thank you again. Well, I guess it would be nice to serve our movie library, videos and pictures at home, but, the rest of the family won't have access to them nor will we while travelling. Looks like this would be a better answer to getting the media on our new Samsung TV than SmartView or an hdmi cable to a laptop. Then could sync media onto our laptop we want to take along while travelling. Am I on the right beam here?