Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Updating Plex On Raspberry Pi B3+

MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Im running the plex server on a raspberry Pi. Ive followed this write up: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=214655&p=1321050#p1321050

though it does not cover updating. How would I go about updating plex on the RPi?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I do not believe that they pull from the plex updates.

Any info on how to update plex server this way would be fantastic

«1

Answers

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    Should I just use this then?

    sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver-installer -y

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja
    edited May 29

    Please read this notice and just forget about this "tutorial". It's wrong in many aspects.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/320440/important-advice-avoid-any-tutorial-that-mentions-the-etc-default-plexmediaserver-prev-file

    Regarding the update: you did install my Debian repository so just update your Debian and PMS with sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:
    Please read this notice and just forget about this "tutorial". It's wrong in many aspects.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/320440/important-advice-avoid-any-tutorial-that-mentions-the-etc-default-plexmediaserver-prev-file

    Regarding the update: you did install my Debian repository so just update your Debian and PMS with sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

    How is it wrong? This is how I figured out how to make it work.

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:
    Please read this notice and just forget about this "tutorial". It's wrong in many aspects.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/320440/important-advice-avoid-any-tutorial-that-mentions-the-etc-default-plexmediaserver-prev-file

    Regarding the update: you did install my Debian repository so just update your Debian and PMS with sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

    wget -O - https://dev2day.de/pms/dev2day-pms.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
    echo "deb https://dev2day.de/pms/ jessie main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list
    sudo apt-get update

    This is what I have done previoussly. are these the repository you were talking about?

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    How is it wrong? This is how I figured out how to make it work.

    It's described in the discussed thread. E.g. the instructions provided to tell Plex to use user pi are completely wrong. The instructions do NOT work at all. Plex is still using user plex. So you will have permission issues sooner or later.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/320440/important-advice-avoid-any-tutorial-that-mentions-the-etc-default-plexmediaserver-prev-file

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    This is what I have done previoussly. are these the repository you were talking about?
    echo "deb https://dev2day.de/pms/ jessie main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list

    https://dev2day.de/pms/ is my repository. You have told your local package manager apt to access my repo by creating the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list.

    Now when you use apt to update your Debian (that's what Raspbian essentially is) apt will also check my repository for new Plex updates and install them.

    Please read the debian manual to learn more about apt.

    https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    How is it wrong? This is how I figured out how to make it work.

    It's described in the discussed thread. E.g. the instructions provided to tell Plex to use user pi are completely wrong. The instructions do NOT work at all. Plex is still using user plex. So you will have permission issues sooner or later.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/320440/important-advice-avoid-any-tutorial-that-mentions-the-etc-default-plexmediaserver-prev-file

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    This is what I have done previoussly. are these the repository you were talking about?
    echo "deb https://dev2day.de/pms/ jessie main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list

    https://dev2day.de/pms/ is my repository. You have told your local package manager apt to access my repo by creating the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list.

    Now when you use apt to update your Debian (that's what Raspbian essentially is) apt will also check my repository for new Plex updates and install them.

    Please read the debian manual to learn more about apt.

    https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html

    I apologize. I was confused because you said it would not work and It's been working for 3-4 days now. Either way, I'll double check my configuration with your repository when I get home tonight.

    Thank you! I wasnt super sure if the apt-get update would work or not with the way I had it set up.

    You have any idea how to make streaming buffer less? Is it a plex server issue or are the movies too high of quality to stream from a pi?

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja
    edited May 29

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    You have any idea how to make streaming buffer less? Is it a plex server issue or are the movies too high of quality to stream from a pi?

    Please read our official setup instructions. Especially the "Manage Expectations" section ;)

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/309553/plex-media-server-for-armhf-and-arm64-using-debian-or-ubuntu

    And please read up on the terms "Direct Play" and "Direct Stream". With an RPi your Plex clients always have to use one of these two playback modes. The RPi does not have the power to really support live Video transcoding.

    https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250387-streaming-media-direct-play-and-direct-stream/

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    You have any idea how to make streaming buffer less? Is it a plex server issue or are the movies too high of quality to stream from a pi?

    Please read our official setup instructions. Especially the "Manage Expectations" section ;)

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/309553/plex-media-server-for-armhf-and-arm64-using-debian-or-ubuntu

    And please read up on the terms "Direct Play" and "Direct Stream". With an RPi your Plex clients always have to use one of these two playback modes. The RPi does not have the power to really support live Video transcoding.

    https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250387-streaming-media-direct-play-and-direct-stream/

    so direct play is for compatable media, so I would have to convert all my .MKV to .MP4 and it will buffer less right? am I reading that correctly?

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    so direct play is for compatable media, so I would have to convert all my .MKV to .MP4 and it will buffer less right? am I reading that correctly?

    No, not at all :neutral: Please read the second document again. E.g.

    Media can be Direct Played on a device if the source media is compatible with the client’s playback capabilities, meaning that the source media:

    Is stored in a compatible file container
    

    That's the difference between mkv and mp4 and mkv is fine for Direct Stream. However, much more important are the next points.

    Is encoded in a compatible bitrate
    Is encoded with compatible codecs
    Is a compatible resolution
    

    There are support documents for most supported clients telling you exactly what is supported. However, you also have to configure the clients appropriately, e.g. set the quality options to "Original" or "Maximum".

    Here is for example the document for the PS4. Just use the search function on this page to look for information for other clients.

    https://support.plex.tv/articles/204377253-what-media-formats-are-supported/

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    so direct play is for compatable media, so I would have to convert all my .MKV to .MP4 and it will buffer less right? am I reading that correctly?

    No, not at all :neutral: Please read the second document again. E.g.

    Media can be Direct Played on a device if the source media is compatible with the client’s playback capabilities, meaning that the source media:

    Is stored in a compatible file container
    

    That's the difference between mkv and mp4 and mkv is fine for Direct Stream. However, much more important are the next points.

    Is encoded in a compatible bitrate
    Is encoded with compatible codecs
    Is a compatible resolution
    

    There are support documents for most supported clients telling you exactly what is supported. However, you also have to configure the clients appropriately, e.g. set the quality options to "Original" or "Maximum".

    Here is for example the document for the PS4. Just use the search function on this page to look for information for other clients.

    https://support.plex.tv/articles/204377253-what-media-formats-are-supported/

    okok, so the following:

    The Plex for PlayStation app does not currently support Direct Playing of MKV container videos. If the audio and video streams in the file are otherwise compatible, it will be Direct Streamed without losing any quality.

    Is fine because my movies are like TheBountyHunter.mkv so all the movie and media are in the same file so apparently that is good!

    So I need to check the bitrate codecs and resolution? What are the reccomended specs for bitrate codec and res? And if Mine are not to spec how would I change them?

    I may not be understanding the whole problem here.

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    What about using this [url=https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697]Handbrake[/url] to eliminate transcoding?

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

    Tell us about the video and audio codecs in your mkvs and we can tell you if re-encoding the whole library is a good idea. E.g. if the videos are encoded with h264 then everything is fine as it is and you just have to tweak the Plex client settings.

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:
    Tell us about the video and audio codecs in your mkvs and we can tell you if re-encoding the whole library is a good idea. E.g. if the videos are encoded with h264 then everything is fine as it is and you just have to tweak the Plex client settings.

    How would I find something like that?

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

    Please read the Plex support documents. It's all there ;)

    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201998867-investigate-media-information-and-formats/

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass
    1. Bad Teacher
      Codec H264
      Bitrate 2158 kbps
      Bit Depth 8
      Chroma Location left
      Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
      Color Primaries bt709
      Color Range tv
      Color Space bt709
      Frame Rate 23.976 fps
      Height 1040
      Level 4.1
      Profile high
      Ref Frames 4
      Stream Identifier 1
      Width 1920
      Codec AAC
      Channels Stereo
      Bitrate 97 kbps
      Language English
      Audio Channel Layout stereo
      Profile lc
      Sampling Rate 44100 Hz
      Stream Identifier 2

    2. The Bounty Hunter
      Codec H264
      Bitrate 1904 kbps
      Language English
      Bit Depth 8
      Chroma Location left
      Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
      Frame Rate 23.976 fps
      Height 816
      Level 4.0
      Profile high
      Ref Frames 5
      Stream Identifier 1
      Width 1920
      Codec AAC
      Channels Stereo
      Bitrate 102 kbps
      Audio Channel Layout stereo
      Profile lc
      Sampling Rate 44100 Hz
      Stream Identifier 2

    3. Ex Machina
      Codec H264
      Bitrate 2063 kbps
      Bit Depth 8
      Chroma Location left
      Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
      Color Primaries bt709
      Color Range tv
      Color Space bt709
      Frame Rate 23.976 fps
      Height 808
      Level 4.1
      Profile high
      Ref Frames 4
      Stream Identifier 1
      Width 1920
      Codec AAC
      Channels Stereo
      Bitrate 98 kbps
      Language English
      Audio Channel Layout stereo
      Profile lc
      Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
      Stream Identifier 2

    4. Minority Report
      Codec MPEG2VIDEO
      Bitrate 6193 kbps
      Language English
      Anamorphic true
      Bit Depth 8
      Chroma Location left
      Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
      Color Range tv
      Frame Rate 29.97 fps
      Height 480
      Level 8
      Pixel Aspect Ratio 8:9
      Profile main
      Ref Frames 1
      Scan Type interlaced
      Width 720
      Codec AC3
      Channels 5.1
      Bitrate 448 kbps
      Language English
      Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
      Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
      Title Surround 5.1
      Codec DCA
      Channels 5.1
      Language English
      Profile dts
      Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
      Title Surround 5.1
      Codec AC3
      Channels 5.1
      Bitrate 384 kbps
      Language Français
      Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
      Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
      Title Surround 5.1
      Codec VOBSUB
      Language English
      Codec VOBSUB
      Language Español
      Codec VOBSUB
      Language Français

    Hope this helps. These are 4 randomly selected movies on the server. Let me know if this is helpful or if you need something else.

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

    The first three movies are in a perfect format: h264 video and aac stereo audio, no subtitles. Nearly any client should be able to play these videos without transcoding. Do you experience buffering while watching any of these videos? Please make sure to select "Original" or "Maximum" quality in the client and tell us about your client.

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    @uglymagoo said:
    The first three movies are in a perfect format: h264 video and aac stereo audio, no subtitles. Nearly any client should be able to play these videos without transcoding. Do you experience buffering while watching any of these videos? Please make sure to select "Original" or "Maximum" quality in the client and tell us about your client.

    I will test this out tonight, some movies buffer and some dont, I just thought that it was my internet that was slowing down but I will pay more attention to what buffers and what does not

    and what do you mean tell us about the client?

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    I know for a fact that Horrible Bosses buffered like every 10-15 min, and the wheel was spinning for another 5-10 min before it wuld start playing again

    Horrible Bosses:
    Codec H264
    Bitrate 2017 kbps
    Language English
    Bit Depth 8
    Chroma Location left
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Primaries bt709
    Color Range tv
    Color Space bt709
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Height 800
    Level 4.1
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 4
    Stream Identifier 1
    Width 1920
    Codec AAC
    Channels Stereo
    Bitrate 102 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout stereo
    Profile lc
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Stream Identifier 2

  • uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    and what do you mean tell us about the client?

    What do you use to watch your movies? :wink: Chromecast, FireTV, Android, iOS, Samsung TV, ....

    @MaxTheSpy said:
    I know for a fact that Horrible Bosses buffered like every 10-15 min, and the wheel was spinning for another 5-10 min before it wuld start playing again

    Horrible Bosses:
    Codec H264
    Bitrate 2017 kbps
    Codec AAC
    Channels Stereo
    Bitrate 102 kbps

    The format of this movie is a piece of cake for any client. Just set the client to "Original" quality.

    Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

  • MaxTheSpyMaxTheSpy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

    Okie. 99 percent of the time Im watching on my desktop so its open in the web browser. the other 1 percent is on my xbox where I notice very litle lag if any at all.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.