Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

This new iOS Plex sucks *DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT IF YOU HAVEN't YET*

dpordy99dpordy99 Posts: 32Members ✭✭
in iOS

Just a heads up. I highly recommend everybody stay away from the new iOS app that Plex just released. I've got different libraries for different categories. For instance I have a Comedy category for Stand up Comedy, a Music category for concerts, and a Documentary category for documentaries.

This new awful app removes those from the front page making it extremely difficult to find and making the experience unusable.

I have iTunes match so all of my music is on the cloud so I do not need the music, or photos, or any of the other crap but of course they make the stuff I don't use at all and which I have zero stuff in my library easier to access than the stuff in my libraries.

Get rid of this app. Whoever designed this new iOS app clearly doesn't have much experience using Plex and is not qualified to be a developer and bring back the old app. Unfortunately Apple makes it impossible now to downgrade apps (You used to be able to do it in iTunes as long as you hadn't updated on a different device). Now I'm stuck with this app that's garbage. I'm scared to death that they are going to ruin the TvOS app. I guess enjoy it while it lasts.

«13456

Answers

  • fiskerendkfiskerendk Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 3

    You can actually downgrade i did on my iPads, however its not a very simple method. But using fiddler to manipulate the request for downloading plex in iTunes to and older version.

    Here is a simular guide for doing it.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025034/uploads/editor/8z/5r59ikf58op4.pdf

  • tom80Htom80H Posts: 2,272Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @dpordy99 said:
    Just a heads up. I highly recommend everybody stay away from the new iOS app that Plex just released. I've got different libraries for different categories. For instance I have a Comedy category for Stand up Comedy, a Music category for concerts, and a Documentary category for documentaries.

    This new awful app removes those from the front page making it extremely difficult to find and making the experience unusable.

    click 1: select movies
    click 2: pick the library

    that's not "extremely difficult" -- no offense.

    Get rid of this app. Whoever designed this new iOS app clearly doesn't have much experience using Plex and is not qualified to be a developer and bring back the old app. ... Now I'm stuck with this app that's garbage.

    I wonder when we'll come to a time when "different" isn't automatically "unbearable"
    Yes -- it's different and it takes a moment to get used to. Once you get yourself to look into the new layout, you'll notice that it's not all bad but there are actually a number of significant improvements which make it much more easy to enjoy your media. Then on the other hand... that's just my opinion and you're free to have yours.

    I'm scared to death that they are going to ruin the TvOS app. I guess enjoy it while it lasts.

    If you don't like it... just disable automatic updates on your Apple TV. No need for all the drama ;)

  • egibbysegibbys Posts: 31Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I will agree. I've given this app enough time to try and get used to it, but I can not. The design and function are not very well thought out with this version.

    PMS: i7 4770K Windows 10
    Storage: WD 4TB HD via USB3.0
    Connection: Comcast 120/5, Internal Network 1Gbs wired, 802.11ac wireless.
    Clients: PC, iOS and Chromecast
    Lifetime Plex Pass Member

  • ArcturusStarkArcturusStark Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I’ll second that I’m not a fan of this new UI. It’s very frustrating to use if you have content split out into sub libraries as mentioned. I also can’t stand that search results include content from other people’s Plex servers! I don’t want to see this unless I back out and select their server.

  • dpordy99dpordy99 Posts: 32Members ✭✭

    @tom80H said:

    @dpordy99 said:
    Just a heads up. I highly recommend everybody stay away from the new iOS app that Plex just released. I've got different libraries for different categories. For instance I have a Comedy category for Stand up Comedy, a Music category for concerts, and a Documentary category for documentaries.

    This new awful app removes those from the front page making it extremely difficult to find and making the experience unusable.

    click 1: select movies
    click 2: pick the library

    that's not "extremely difficult" -- no offense.

    Get rid of this app. Whoever designed this new iOS app clearly doesn't have much experience using Plex and is not qualified to be a developer and bring back the old app. ... Now I'm stuck with this app that's garbage.

    I wonder when we'll come to a time when "different" isn't automatically "unbearable"
    Yes -- it's different and it takes a moment to get used to. Once you get yourself to look into the new layout, you'll notice that it's not all bad but there are actually a number of significant improvements which make it much more easy to enjoy your media. Then on the other hand... that's just my opinion and you're free to have yours.

    I'm scared to death that they are going to ruin the TvOS app. I guess enjoy it while it lasts.

    If you don't like it... just disable automatic updates on your Apple TV. No need for all the drama ;)

    I figured that out quickly but the user experience is horrible and if you have several different categories for Movies, Home Movies, and TV shows it can get confusing.

  • nigelpbnigelpb Posts: 1,154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I don’t see this new version. I am on 4.29 & I don’t get offered any update. Is there a way to force an update?

  • MMAHONEYMMAHONEY Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    via Email
    Plex is old news that does not work consistently. Crappy crappy crappy

    On Jun 3, 2018 9:58 PM, "nigelpb" wrote:

    Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
    nigelpb commented on This new iOS Plex sucks *DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT IF YOU
    HAVEN't YET*

    I don’t see this new version. I am on 4.29 & I don’t get offered any
    update. Is there a way to force an update?
  • plex-linuxplex-linux Posts: 285Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 5

    I also do not care for the new app. My biggest problems are:
    1) pod cast- i don't need or what them in plex, please allow for a way to disable them (I sure pod cast are great for many but please make it optional)
    2) search result include everything ( including pod cast and other crap that i do not want) It would be reasonable to allow search to be configured to exclude news and pod cast - all i want in my search result is MY MEDIA
    3) I could not even see my home videos (lib or video), however after doing a search they finally showed up (why????)
    4) everything seems to take several more steps to get what i want to accomplish (i am even okay with this, even if not overly excited)

    (one postive at least the home screen is configurable)

  • E4200i8000E4200i8000 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I think that the problem with this version is the same thing I've seen over the years in many media apps, that is that in every project one day developers thing they are really clever and think that they know better than the user how the user really wants to organize and watch its media. So you end up having lots of automatic feeds in the home screen making it unusable and of course the real categories are hidden over layers and layers of crap.

    C'mon, this is not youtube, this thing is simple, I know how I want to organize my media and browse it, and for everything else i have the search functionality. If you want to add those crappy feeds at least make it optional.

    Even more, in the iphone interface I cannot have a bloody complete list of the new main categories, half the categories are in the bottom bar and the other half are displayed in a bullet list you can only access with the "...more" button. Try to explain that to a 3 year old child!! 3 clicks in different interfaces to access some bloody video list you previosly had in one click.

  • Bart PBart P Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    In general I would agree that this new app is a step backwards. It now takes several steps to get to where I want to be. 99% of the time I don’t care about recently added/recommended/etc, I just want to see my library and select my movie or show. Now I have to browse several screens deep to get there when before I just selected the library to view.

  • kclimiekclimie Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 5

    I agree with the sentiment that a lot of people are expressing, that to me the new update is a major step backwards, and there are a LOT of non-intuitive changes. However, I don't agree with the way some people are expressing their dislike of it.

  • surferchild007surferchild007 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Has anyone complaining actually used the app. You can add or remove anything you don’t want to see on your home page. This seems like the biggest complaint. Lol

  • blim5001blim5001 Posts: 404Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    i did try to like it, but after a few days I still did not like it. That's probably just my use case, lots of libraries and lots of servers (mine and friends). I don't need or want to see results from all of them or get search from all of them.

  • Stephen3001Stephen3001 Posts: 276Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    So what the OP is saying is because of the way he set up HIS server Plex should not be allowed ever to change anything because it will upset the way HE browses his server from the way HE set it up. Don't worry about anyone else.

    I find the app fine, one button press, three button presses, doesn't matter. If it plays the media then I am just fine with it.

    It's just different.

    ****My Equipment****

    PMS Media Server/Storage - QNAP TVS-1282T (I7, 32Gb RAM) 48TB Storage

    1Gb Wired Networking.

    Media Players
    NVIDIA Shield, LG OLED TV, XBOXOne, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromecast, Apple TV.

  • mackleysmackleys Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @surferchild007 said:
    Has anyone complaining actually used the app. You can add or remove anything you don’t want to see on your home page. This seems like the biggest complaint. Lol

    How can I add a “browse” view for my libraries to the home screen? I cannot see how to do that now and that is a big pain point for me with the new design.

  • AuroraMediaAuroraMedia Posts: 13Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Agreed, everything is so much more complicated in the new version, I know it's only a couple of extra taps but when you're doing it every time you use the app it becomes tedious. Why are plex devs so fixated with the "on deck" and "recently added" sections.

    All I want to do is open plex click on the library that I want and then choose the show from the list with cover art. Is that too much to ask.

    I'm all for adding things to the home page but the one thing I can't seem to add to the home screen is a direct link to browsing a library, add that and most of the complaints probably go away.

  • ChristoffeeChristoffee Posts: 201Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 6

    I’m glad others are having trouble with their children. The problems I have with the new interface for children are:
    1. I am having to teach my son, who is just learning to read, to click on all music to get his audiobooks. But this isn’t all his music!

    1. His music is a separate library, which is now relatively hidden in “that” menu.

    2. And when he uses that menu he has access to unsynced items. He used to have access to only the synced audiobooks. There were items in the library that I didn’t want him to have yet. And now to change from music to audiobooks he can access unsynced items.

    3. The launch screen is... not the launch screen I want! Pictures of authors and a selection of audiobooks is not what the children want to see. They want to click audiobooks, and see their books in the order to which they are accustomed.

    4. The bar at the bottom has to be on Music to see audiobooks.

    I’m not one to rant and rave, but these just seem like bad UI and UX decisions.

  • smcalabresesmcalabrese Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Add me to the list of people not liking the new version!

    In my case, I'd be somewhat satisfied if we could add at least "playlists" to the home screen...

«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.