Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Google WiFi + Apple TV 4K

Jujuman1Jujuman1 Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Considering changing routers as I move to new house and I’ve heard and seen a few negative reviews with the google WiFi mesh system when combined with Plex and Apple TVs. Is anyone using this setup currently and liking it by chance?

Best Answer

• janngobblejanngobble Members, Plex Pass Posts: 77 Plex Pass
    via Email Accepted Answer
    I’ve not tried Google Mesh…but I *do* have eero’s mesh system and I love it. I tried “orbi” as well, and dropped it really quickly as multiple streams just killed performance.

Eero works great with Plex and AppleTV…and with any other network traffic I throw at it - including the video backhaul for my Dish Network Hopper 3 (4k).

I got the Eero Pro system due to the increased throughput between stations (separate private radios for the backhaul) and also the dedicated backhaul over ethernet or WiFi so it can handle multiple 1080P and 4k streams without a hiccup in my 2000 square foot home. (I have "chicken-wire and lathe” 1970’s walls which really really killed my “airport” performance. Generally it handles 3 or 4 AppleTV Plex streams in the evening at the same time w/o any issues. The “self-healing” is really great too...

I know you were asking about Google, but you may want to broaden your horizons a bit…as there are really good competing products out there for mesh.

Jann

Answers

via Email Accepted Answer
    I’ve not tried Google Mesh…but I *do* have eero’s mesh system and I love it. I tried “orbi” as well, and dropped it really quickly as multiple streams just killed performance.

Eero works great with Plex and AppleTV…and with any other network traffic I throw at it - including the video backhaul for my Dish Network Hopper 3 (4k).

I got the Eero Pro system due to the increased throughput between stations (separate private radios for the backhaul) and also the dedicated backhaul over ethernet or WiFi so it can handle multiple 1080P and 4k streams without a hiccup in my 2000 square foot home. (I have "chicken-wire and lathe” 1970’s walls which really really killed my “airport” performance. Generally it handles 3 or 4 AppleTV Plex streams in the evening at the same time w/o any issues. The “self-healing” is really great too...

I know you were asking about Google, but you may want to broaden your horizons a bit…as there are really good competing products out there for mesh.

Jann
  • Jujuman1Jujuman1 Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks for the quick response. I’m certainly not locked into the google system, and it’s good to hear that other systems can handle multiple HD streams as I regularly run two or three. I’ll check out Eero as well! Thanks again.

• nookumnookum Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm using the D-Link Deco mesh system, and it works perfectly with my Apple TV. The only thing to watch out for is that the router function of the Deco is unreliable. Fortunately you can use put it into Access Point mode if you have another router handy; that's what I did with my Xfinity Gateway/Router, and it spreads the wifi signal around my house very well. Just be sure to turn off the wifi antenna of your router if using the Deco in access point mode or the repeaters' and your original router's signals might conflict.

• Jujuman1Jujuman1 Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

My real concern was with 4K and multiple streams but figured I’d see if anyone had any other issues once configured. Sounds like the mesh systems are working well enough to handle all of my needs.

via Email
    The big thing to remember with mesh systems is simply to ensure that each “member of the mesh” EITHER has connection via ethernet to the main unit OR has a large enough “backhaul channel" that it communicates on back to the main unit(s) so you don’t have your throughput diminished when streams occur. If you remember the original implementation of WiFi extending done on Airports, etc… this was the main issue. When they were in WDS mode, your throughput was cut in (about) half.

Eero and a few others allow this.

The other thing is to ensure that the mesh system you choose allows “daisy chaining” (or “multi-hop”) - and many do. (Daily chaining is where you can place the main unit at one end of the house and several units throughout your house in a row so the final unit can “hop” the data via the other units to get back to the main unit. )

Do not buy units that don’t have this feature.
  • KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,151 Plex Pass

I can't find it right now but I saw a youtube video where someone put 3 google wifi units in his house and tested wifi speeds for each node - the results were unimpressive. First unit with the ethernet cable in was fast, but by the 2nd node speeds were down 50% and the 3rd node was very slow... I guess it's the overhead of mesh networking.

If you plan on linking the nodes with ethernet then it should be perfect, but that video completely turned me off about wireless mesh networks.

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 165 Plex Pass

If you can, just run CAT6A cable wherever possible. Hardwired is always better than wireless.

Local Server
    CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4K

• darciliciousdarcilicious Members, Plex Pass Posts: 935 Plex Pass

@simon_lefisch said:
    If you can, just run CAT6A cable wherever possible. Hardwired is always better than wireless.

And yet, this entire thread is about how to best make mesh wifi work -- I think if people COULD use wired connections, they WOULD.

• KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,151 Plex Pass

@darcilicious said:

@simon_lefisch said:

And yet, this entire thread is about how to best make mesh wifi work -- I think if people COULD use wired connections, they WOULD.

Yes, but they also need to know that it's not all what it's advertised to be.

• darciliciousdarcilicious Members, Plex Pass Posts: 935 Plex Pass

Plenty of people use wireless and/or mesh quite successfully, myself included.

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 165 Plex Pass

@darcilicious said:

And yet I can’t help but pick up a slight condescending tone.

I read the thread and some peeps still have probs with this mesh network. As someone who runs cable for networking, 95% of the time a wired option is available. It’s the person(s) who decide not to run a wire. As I said before, hard wired is always better than wireless. In my case, I would hardwire everyone room possible so I wouldn’t have to use a WiFi/mesh network. There are very few instances where a wire run is not feesible. If mesh works for you, great! Doesn’t negate the fact that a wire run is more stable. If you don’t want to run a wire, that’s your choice....but don’t say running a wire is not an option when 95% of the time it is. Anyway, enjoy your wireless mesh network

Local Server
    CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4K

• timmmittimmmit Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I have three Google Wifi pucks throughout our house and two Apple TV4Ks. The one that is connected via wifi has had zero issues with plex or any other streaming for that matter. I haven’t streamed any super high bitrate 4k videos to it (it’s just a 1080p tv), but it handles 20-30mbps videos with no problems to speak of for me.

The particular puck that this Apple TV connects to is hardwired into the network, which (like others have said) helps with the overall traffic between pucks. But I don’t think performance would change too much without it.

I think if you’re looking for an absolute top-of-the-line experience, I’d recommend looking for a tri-band option. But I wasn’t ($$$), and I’ve been more than happy with our Google Wifi.