Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Panasonic Plex App

EmbattleEmbattle Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

I was rather happy to see the new plex app for Panasonic TVs but I've got a slight issue regarding using it for playing back my movies, it is trying to transcode them h265->h264.

The films are MP4 (H265) and stored on a Synology 1815+ with the TV being a Panasonic TX-CX700B, for some reason this causes the Plex app to try and transcode to h264 which is rather problematic for the 1815+ as CPU usage hits 100% but what makes it even odder is if I access the same film via the Synology Media server it doesn't try to transcode and thus the CPU usage stays no higher than 15%.

Answers

• weisselstoneweisselstone Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Same thing here, 4K HEVC gets transcoded to H264 on a Panasonic TX-58DXF787 (a version of TX-58DXW784).

• pcalvespcalves Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 20 Plex Employee

Hi @Embattle and @weisselstone, thanks for letting us know about these issues. Panasonic TVs should be able to play hevc encoded video without transcoding.

Have you followed the video playback tips shared in https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/?

This bit in particular might be relevant:

Setting a streaming quality value lower than the content’s bitrate will cause the video to be transcoded. Most devices can handle streams with peak bitrates < 20Mbps. Some devices can handle higher quality transcodes or remuxes.

You can check the maximum quality for local and remote content by going into the user menu (at the top right corner of the app), then Settings > Video > Local Quality and Remote Quality.

Please also note that the app currently does not support 4K/HDR playback so you may find issues when attempting to playback that content.

If you find that the application is still transcoding your content, even after having adjusted the video settings, it would be very useful if you could provide me with a sample file for testing or, at least, a detailed listing of the container/codecs used by the file.

• EmbattleEmbattle Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

So in the Panasonic plex app I set both Local and Remote quality to original with Direct play and Direct stream selected as well but Blade Runner 2049 still shows up as trancoding (265->264), if I use my chromecast on a older LG TV it won't transcode the exact same file.

I've attached a txt file with the encoding info in it.

• weisselstoneweisselstone Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@pcalves said:
    Please also note that the app currently does not support 4K/HDR playback so you may find issues when attempting to playback that content.

Thank you for your fast answer. This explains my experience. I already expected this after I saw the following in Plex Media Server.log

Jun 15, 2018 21:44:44.837 [0x7f5643bfd700] DEBUG - Moviename - video.width limitation applies: 3840 > 1920