Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How do I update?

bigdon26bigdon26 Posts: 18Members ✭✭

How do I update? I downloaded a *.deb file What do you do with it to update the software? If I double click on the file it asks me what do I want to use to open it with???

I even deleted the software and reinstalled it and it still said there was the same update to be downloaded...…...

Tagged:

Answers

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Posts: 165Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

.deb is for Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/etc). Are running a Linux OS or Windows?

Local Server
    CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4K

• bigdon26bigdon26 Posts: 18Members ✭✭

I have Windows based computers but I think my Netgear nasy (nas312) might be Linux???

I believe the OS on my Netgear RN312 is Debian 8

• dduke2104dduke2104 Posts: 257Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The question is about which thing you run PMS on. You've posted this in the Windows forum suggesting you are running PMS on a Windows machine. If so, you need to download the Windows PMS software.

I use plex media player on my windows PC and I believe my Plex media server on my NAS is Linux.

I don't run PMS on a NAS (you didn't say which one; which matters) but I would presume that there is an 'update' button in your PMS server setting page.

I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the PMS server setting page and options specific to the NAS you're using.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with it as well. There is no update button, if there was I wouldn't be here and if you read the original post I said the Plex media server was on my Netgear NAS that is running Linux.

• flowflow Posts: 718Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

omg - why did I know that this thread was going to get hilarious... :D :D :D

Please note the Legal notice for the usage of Google Analytics in my Channels.
    edited June 15

@bigdon26 said:
    I have Windows based computers but I think my Netgear nasy (nas312) might be Linux???

I wasn't the one that wasn't trying to install a Linux update on my Windows machine in the first place. I know what I'm doing and what I'm not. Sorry that you found my attempt to be helpful ... unhelpful.

I never said that. I don't know where you are reading these things because I never said that.

You do know we all can see your earlier postings, right?

If you can't give me constructive suggestions please move on and pretend to help someone else.
    thanks.
    I'm done replying to you......

Just for the record:

@bigdon26 said:
    How do I update? I downloaded a *.deb file What do you do with it to update the software? If I double click on the file it asks me what do I want to use to open it with???

I even deleted the software and reinstalled it and it still said there was the same update to be downloaded...…...

You posted this in the Windows forums... (see right upper corner of your post)

@bigdon26 said:

@bigdon26 said:
    I believe the OS on my Netgear RN312 is Debian 8

@bigdon26 said:
    I use plex media player on my windows PC and I believe my Plex media server on my NAS is Linux.

@bigdon26 said:
    Maybe you should familiarize yourself with it as well. There is no update button, if there was I wouldn't be here and if you read the original post I said the Plex media server was on my Netgear NAS that is running Linux.

@bigdon26 said:
    I never said that. I don't know where you are reading these things because I never said that.

Sum up: You run PMP on Windows and believe to run PMS on a Netgear NAS you believe that runs Debian...
    Hell yeah, you really know what you are doing. Not! You have no clue at all.

And being unfriendly to people who want to help you, will not work either.

Long story short: Go to the PMS download and choose NAS > Netgear and rtfm

Your right I don't know what I am doing, that's why I'm here.
    The OS on my Netgear RN312 is Debian 8. I installed and launch the software from there and that's why I have the suggested *.deb file that it had me download but since I am running the Plex media player on my windows machine I was asking how do I install the *.deb file on the Netgear NAS when I can only access it for my PMP on windows?
    Why does it launch the Windows Plex media Player when the server and file are for Debian???
    I don't know how else to explain this and I have seen other post asking the same thing....

I forgot to mention that I access the NAS thru RaidR app.

As I mentioned this is before I access my NAS through the RaidR app. as "page 213" says. This is where it installs the Plex media server. I have un-installed it and reinstalled it and then it still show an update after the install the *.deb file but now where's is there a place to run this update file from within RaidR. When it launches the software, it launches Plex media player in windows???

I DON'T KNOW HOW ELSE I CAN EXPLAIN THIS???

I guess I will just have to NOT update it and just use the previous version.

Obviously no one here is using a Netgear NAS because they would know what I am talking about....