Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexAeon for Laika (Plex 9.5 and higher) Get Help

maverick214maverick214 Posts: 2,253Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited May 2013 in Aeon
Report Bugs and other problems, suggestions

Currently not compatible with Preview release of Plex Home Theater

Quick update,

Started to fix PlexAeon for Plex Home Theater a couple days ago.

There is no public release of PlexAeon for PHT as of yet.

See this thread for a PHT compatible version of PlexAeon

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/67825-plexaeon-for-plex-home-theater-released-maverick214/?p=392794

So far I've fixed:

-  Some problems that were causing PHT to crash.

-  Fixed unable to enter media sections.

-  Fixed a lot of changed tag controls.

-  Fixed recently added/latest movies navigation

Still a lot of bugs to fix, but it's started...

ETA: Preview release by end of April or sooner

As suggested here's a new thread for the Laika branch of Plex (9.5 and higher)
The old thread was getting over 800 posts so lets start using this one for Laika.

For a list of ongoing fixes check here: https://github.com/maverick214/PlexAeon/commits/master/

Subscribe via RSS here: https://github.com/maverick214/PlexAeon/commits/master.atom

Use this to Install Plex skins

Here's a list of known problems:
- Anoobie 2 currently disabled as it's not working.
- Half Poster view added, not tested %100
- Not completely optimized for Laika yet, working on it.
- When exiting a non Plex Media Server section the home menu will show a default picture and not the slideshow. Fanart slideshow seems to break I believe this is a Plex bug. It will resume fanart slideshow once you hit a pms section again. I added a default picture because when the fanart slideshow stops it was just showing a black screen.
- Weather, favorites and RSS are removed from Plex now, so those options are removed from the skin.
- Moving of home screen menu to lower position is currently disabled.
- the recently added screen for Music Sections is not finished yet
- Can't turn off shortcuts in main menu for channel sections
- Channels directory always defaults back to wall view (this is a Plex program setting, but I might be able to work around it)

Comments

• realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members
    Thanks so much for your work on this one Maverick,

Regarding the Fan issue on my MBP (Running as a Client from and connecting to my home server to stream a 2MBPS stream) I don't get issue when I am running Mediastream but shortly after I start Plex the fans go up a gear quitting Plex means that they resume there normally speed after a bit of a delay. Issue persists even when watching video.

Happy to supply Logs and do any tests you want.
  • PartyMummyPartyMummy Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Loving it so far! You're aware of most of the problems I've encountered, but here's another: I don't seem to be able to change the viewtype of programs (applications). My only option is the default Full List.

I'd also like to make a suggestion (which has been made before, but may have been lost in the shuffle).

I'm a fan of a clean interface, but I also love the new on deck, recently added (I love your design on that, by the way). As such, I would be a huge fan of a way to toggle the on deck / recently added on and off from the menu (not just from settings). Ideally, highlighting a section would do nothing, and then pressing down on the remote would slide out the on deck / recently added.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,903Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    EDIT: For anyone having problems with Preen (like me), here is the git link: https://github.com/maverick214/PlexAeon.git

Hey Mav! For some reason Preen is not installing this...no skin is being downloaded to my addons. Any chance for a github link? Thanks!
  • friedflixfriedflix Posts: 1,953Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Russ wrote:

Hey Mav! For some reason Preen is not installing this...no skin is being downloaded to my addons.

same here.
  • thempsteadthempstead Posts: 140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I had mixed experiences with installing it through Preen. I'm currently moving onto a new Mac Mini so tried twice ....

1). Installing through latest Preen on system where Laika has been upgraded to from 0.9.3.x (under Lion). Here it did not install properly at all. It did eventually show up as a selectable skin within Plex but was showing there as skin.PLEXAEON instead of just PLEXAEON and selecting didn't appear to switch the interface at all.

2). Installing through latest Preen on completely clean Lion install with a clean (client only) Laika install. Skin appears to have installed properly with no obvious problems (is selectable as a skin to switch to in the Appearance menu and does change the interface as expected). I can't comment at the moment on how well it is working, as I haven't rebuilt the old system as a dedicated PMS box yet so lack available media, but the install seemed to work as expected.

From this I wonder whether the installation issues are due to problems with Preen on upgraded Plex installs (where there are probably old files and directories hanging around) rather than problems with this theme itself.
  • SoulSoul Posts: 274Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Same problem with Preen for me. However no other skins I use via Preen on Laika have been affected....
  • kevrosekevrose Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    thempstead wrote:

From this I wonder whether the installation issues are due to problems with Preen on upgraded Plex installs (where there are probably old files and directories hanging around) rather than problems with this theme itself.

I'm running Preen on both upgraded and completely fresh Plex installs and I'm getting the PlexAeon installation (or lack of it) issue on both.
  • maverick214maverick214 Posts: 2,253Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks so much for your work on this one Maverick,

Regarding the Fan issue on my MBP (Running as a Client from and connecting to my home server to stream a 2MBPS stream) I don't get issue when I am running Mediastream but shortly after I start Plex the fans go up a gear quitting Plex means that they resume there normally speed after a bit of a delay. Issue persists even when watching video.

Happy to supply Logs and do any tests you want.

Go to settings, system, and set vertical sync blank to Only during playback.

Other then that you can do some testing checking the cpu usage between Mediastream and Plexaeon, with my testing Plexaeon is the same or lower cpu usage. Slideshow in the home screen will make the cpu usage double during the fade in/out.
    PartyMummy wrote:

Loving it so far! You're aware of most of the problems I've encountered, but here's another: I don't seem to be able to change the viewtype of programs (applications). My only option is the default Full List.

I'd also like to make a suggestion (which has been made before, but may have been lost in the shuffle).

I'm a fan of a clean interface, but I also love the new on deck, recently added (I love your design on that, by the way). As such, I would be a huge fan of a way to toggle the on deck / recently added on and off from the menu (not just from settings). Ideally, highlighting a section would do nothing, and then pressing down on the remote would slide out the on deck / recently added.

Full list is the only option available currently in programs.
    I may add a trigger to recently added later I think it's a good idea.
    Russ wrote:

EDIT: For anyone having problems with Preen (like me), here is the git link: https://github.com/maverick214/PlexAeon.git

Hey Mav! For some reason Preen is not installing this...no skin is being downloaded to my addons. Any chance for a github link? Thanks!

I tried Preen on my other computer last night and it worked fine, I can't really troubleshoot this it's all done by Preen. You might want to ask Vic.
  • realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members
    Thanks Mav - Played around and rebooted the machine found an errant plugin in Chrome that was taking up loads of CPU cycles, which has made things worse than they needed to be. CPU use is now under control on the MBP and the MacMini is a lot happier.

Having some other issues that look more Plex related than skin (Have no icons for the recently viewed shows on the main screen but do if I go down through TV shows) Movies works fine.....
  • davisgnarrdavisgnarr Posts: 3Members
    Russ wrote:

Same problem here, preen will install Quicksilver, Alaska, and Simplex skins but not Aeon.
  • BobatronBobatron Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks for the new skin Maverick. It appears to be much quicker under Laika, so I'm really impressed!

I found a couple of issues I thought I would report..

The custom backdrops will fade out instead of fade in. So I see a glance of it then it fades to black. I was just using the single backdrop setting to replace the stock pictures.
    Also when playing a film, if I hit info, then the bar representing current position is rendered on top (higher up the screen) than the glossy bar that represents the total length of the feature. They used to be merged on top of each other so you got a frosted glass look.
    Finally I was wondering if it is possible to disable the dvd cases in on-deck? I can't find the setting anywhere but in other views you can do this. Have I missed something?
    Bobatron wrote:

Thanks for the new skin Maverick. It appears to be much quicker under Laika, so I'm really impressed!

I found a couple of issues I thought I would report..

The custom backdrops will fade out instead of fade in. So I see a glance of it then it fades to black. I was just using the single backdrop setting to replace the stock pictures.
    Also when playing a film, if I hit info, then the bar representing current position is rendered on top (higher up the screen) than the glossy bar that represents the total length of the feature. They used to be merged on top of each other so you got a frosted glass look.
    Finally I was wondering if it is possible to disable the dvd cases in on-deck? I can't find the setting anywhere but in other views you can do this. Have I missed something?

Thanks!
    I think I fixed the fanart problem.
    I'm not sure about the bar and the current position is looking ok on mine. Can you post a screenshot of yours?

The dvd cases on the on deck cannot be disabled right now I haven't added that option.
    Reduced cpu cycles for home screen fanart
    Fix channels shortcut disable
    Fix custom background art fading out
    Cleanup of home menu shortcuts
  • chrisraynor@gmail.comchrisraynor@gmail.com Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Bugs: On windows 7, Old Multiplex causes plex to crash when in videos. Additionally, with anoobie3 changing layout to plot causes plex to crash.

Offtopic a little: Is there a way if I have a bunch of fanart per movie for it to alternate the fanart every few seconds between them? Thanks!

Thanks for all the work you have put into this
  • newplexuser2011newplexuser2011 Posts: 144Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    How do I install Aeon without preen as it is not even bothering to try and install it the git link says it is not the page I am looking for.
  • NormanNorman Posts: 2Members
    The link above has a misleading suffix - try this link: https://github.com/maverick214/Plexaeon

I installed it yesterday using this link and it works fine. For mac users: deflate the zip file to

<home>/Library/Application Support/Plex/addons

and rename the resulting directory to "skin.PlexAeon"

BTW: it is a great skin!
  • chrisraynor@gmail.comchrisraynor@gmail.com Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Bug: When under customize - backdrop.. and changing the backdrop of a certain tab like "search" to another picture.... It changes, however when i scroll over to search now the picture shows up for about 2 seconds and disappears leaving only a black screen.
  • CRiMeCRiMe Posts: 261Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011

Having some other issues that look more Plex related than skin (Have no icons for the recently viewed shows on the main screen but do if I go down through TV shows) Movies works fine.....

Did you use .9.3.4 before? And are you sure both the PMS and client you are currently using are the latest release?
    (You get this problem when the system fires up the old PMS after a reboot. These icons do not work with the old PMS version)

Just a guess, could be something else. Anyone else still having this icon issue?