Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

0.9 BETA releases

b0bbenb0bben Plex Dev TeamMembers, Plex Pass Posts: 527
You want it? Come and get it blinky!

For those who would be willing to help out with testing, please install the beta release and report any bugs here or on lighthouse

0.9.0 BETA 4
Installation instructions:

* apt-get remove com.plex.client-plugin
* apt-get update
* apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin=0.0.9.0.0-312c11b0

If you get this error when running the apt-get install command:
E: Version '0.0.9.0.0-312c11b0' for 'com.plex.client-plugin' was not found

then run this command first, before trying again:
echo "deb http://www.ambertation.de ./downloads/PLEX/" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plex.list

And should you decide to do so, you can always downgrade:
* apt-get remove com.plex.client-plugin
* apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin

Although it can be a pain having to set things up again (especially for you that use remote machines), it is usually worth clearing out the preference file as it can sometimes cause trouble when we have added or modified the settings:
* rm /User/Library/Preferences/com.plex.client-plugin.plist

Changes worth mentioning

size="2"]=========== BETA 4 ===========[/size]
  • 4.4.4 compatibility
  • Due to a popular demand, removed "Refresh" section :)

=========== BETA 3 ===========
  • Fixed preplay for remote server (for realz this time)
  • Fixed bookcase view for tv-shows
  • Fixed topshelf for all FW
  • Fixed search
  • Removed DTS support again since it wasn't working. We need to bang our heads a little bit more at this one...

=========== BETA 2 ===========
  • Native DTS support for users on 4.4.2
  • Preplay view doesn't crash on remote servers (#200)
  • Huge performance gain when loading cover arts
  • Main menu shelf honors the "Excluded list status" in settings

=========== BETA 1 ===========
  • 4.4.2 support (untested on 4.4.3)
  • Main menu shelf bitches! (EXPERIMENTAL)
  • More info view - you'll have to find this one yourself ;)
  • Brent Catoe did a bunch of nice UI fixups, for that perfect user experience
  • gazillion performance fixes, should be able to play even the biggest quality videos without crapping itself, tobiashieta did a amazing job on this
  • + lots of other fixes

=========== KNOWN ISSUES ===========
  • Search is not working
  • Main menu shelf is very stupid. You'll see...
  • Refresh-item in list doesn't do anything. Forgot to remove it before packaging. Sorry :(

As always, please please please report bugs to lighthouse !
That's were we're looking for things to fix...

Hope you enjoy, and we look forward to hearing back from you.
//b0bben on behalf of team

PS:
BIG thanx to XBMC crew for 4.4.x fix! You guys rule!

Comments

• ktdktd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 324 Plex Pass
    Can't thank you and the rest of the PLEX for ATV2 crew enough. You are doing a really REALLY great job!
  • tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,524 Plex Employee
    I think you forgot to mention Brent Catoe's UI cleanup and improvements ;)
  • baabaa Members, Plex Pass, Forum Moderator Posts: 3,954 Forum Mod
    edited November 2011
    Great news!
    Directly updated aTV to run some tests...

Unfortunately NON-transcoded AVIs still will not play. In PMS the streaming is set up, but aTV keeps showing the spinning ball :-(

I will try to run some other files...

EDIT: added attachment "syslog" from aTV, the Plex part of a "spinning ball". Another time, but the same file.

EDIT: some other files result in a "An error occured loading this content." - no logs yet.

EDIT: created lighthouse ticket (#227) and moved logs there.
  • JordanJordan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 79 Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Wow, this release is amazing. Would you recommend upgrading to 4.4.2? I guess 4.2.1 is a little old now :P
    And currently I can't see the shelf at all. I guess I should also upgrade to the latest PMS too...

I love the speed it starts starts streaming everything, it is amazing. I can't wait to try this out more.

Edit: Also, could just be my software version, but the bookshelf view for TV shows only ever shows season 1 of the first series I have listed. I think the other views are fine.

- Jordan
  • eivindmleivindml Members Posts: 11
    Hmm. I installed the new BETA, but can't see any differences. No new shelf, no better streaming, nothing. (But settings says the number 0.9.0.0-44482699.
  • perra.pperra.p Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18
    edited November 2011
    I just tried update my ATV2 JB SeasOnPass 4.4.3 with 0.9.0 BETA1.
    No errors when I install.
    It looks like it reboots a couple of times. After several minutes the "Connect to iTunes" shows up.

I tried to JB again, with the same result.
    Before the "Connect to iTunes" shows up, I was able to uninstall Plex and returned to the JB 4.4.3-screen.

Someone with 4.4.3 that's lucky?

Update: Downgraded to SeasOnPass 4.4.2, now it works!
  • JayymanJayyman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2
    perra.p wrote:

I just tried update my ATV2 JB SeasOnPass 4.4.3 with 0.9.0 BETA1.
    No errors when I install.
    It looks like it reboots a couple of times. After several minutes the "Connect to iTunes" shows up.

I tried to JB again, with the same result.
    Before the "Connect to iTunes" shows up, I was able to uninstall Plex and returned to the JB 4.4.3-screen.

Someone with 4.4.3 that's lucky?

I'm also having the same issue. I was able to uninstall Plex and the ATV Menu came up. Darn! I was really hoping to get Plex running. I love this plugin.
  • jeremycusajeremycusa Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
    Thanks for your hard work!

Most files are playing OK. One movie file just plays a "still" wherever you wind it to.
    Doesn't seem very different to last version, other than it works on 4.4.2.

No support yet for myplex? Shame - is this coming?
  • liquid6liquid6 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7
    Great work guys, we all really appreciate the hard work!!

mark
  • SimonTPSimonTP Members, Plex Pass Posts: 45 Plex Pass
    Does this version work also work with older firmware versions? i.e. 4.3.1?
  • TorroTorro Members Posts: 50
    I do hope there will be a fix for FW 4.4.3, as there is no sound over optical out when the TV is off with FW 4.4.2

BTW, XBMC seems to be working with FW 4.4.3 (untested by me).
  • marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    I get the ATV2 hacked just fine... and then I run the commands to install Plex in terminal and the ATV2 shuts off but never comes back on...

I used the seasonpass tethered method (4.4.3). There is no picture but the atv2 light occasionally blinks. The tv says no input signal... then it'll act like it's going to get a picture, and then it just says no signal again.

I try to restart the ATV2 by doing another tethered boot, but still the same thing...

If I just let it sit, it'll give me the image that tells me to connect the device to iTunes.

any ideas?

EDIT: my issue is the same as perra.p - I can confirm that installing 4.4.2 via seasonpass instead of 4.4.3 fixes the problem.

Great release!
  • boogalooboogaloo Members Posts: 31
    edited November 2011
    First off thanks for all the great work on making Plex work with ATV2. I just updated to the new software and it works fine with avi and xvid files but mkv files load up but do not play. It is like the file is on pause. I am looking forward to more beta updates.

Update: I should mention I am on ios 4.4.2. I did a fresh install and avi/xvid files are working. Unfortunately, mkv files are still not playing!
  • b0bbenb0bben Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Pass Posts: 527
    Hi all,

This has been tested on 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.2 only! Stay away from new updates if you want Plex to work.
    We just don't have enough machines to test this on. And Apple doesn't care about little poor us, so they break us with many little changes they do.

//b0bben
  • DrMexSSDrMexSS Members Posts: 20
    Thanks!

One, question. When you say that it has been tested on 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.2. Are you talking about iOS version or Apple TV version?
  • bengrbengr Members Posts: 9
    Quick question - does Plex on the ATV process the video on the ATV itself (like XBMC for ATV2 does) or does it process the video on the streaming (aka server) computer?
    Sorry for the ignorance, I haven't used Plex (or my ATV2, for that matter) in a very long time now, haven't had the time :S.
  • TorroTorro Members Posts: 50
    edited November 2011
    DrMexSS wrote:

Thanks!

One, question. When you say that it has been tested on 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.2. Are you talking about iOS version or Apple TV version?

It is aTV versions. aTV ver. 4.4.x are based upon iOS 5.x
    The latest confirmed version working with plex beta 0.9 is Apple TV ver. 4.4.2 (iOS 5.0)

The latest untethered version confirmed working with plex is 4.3 (also iOS 4.3)
  • furbysfurbys Members, Plex Pass Posts: 384 Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    b0bben wrote:

<snip>
    We just don't have enough machines to test this on. And Apple doesn't care about little poor us, so they break us with many little changes they do.

//b0bben

Boo! It's nearly christmas maybe we'll donate you some test boxes ;)

Has anyone updated to the new PMS (0.9.5.2) and 0.9 Beta?
  • JayBirdJayBird Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Thanks for your work. Have not upgraded yet, but will soon!
  • simonxsimonx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 206 Plex Pass
    furby wrote:

Boo! It's nearly christmas maybe we'll donate you some test boxes ;)

Has anyone updated to the new PMS (0.9.5.2) and 0.9 Beta?

Me, all working like 0.8.3 with pms 0.9.5 :)