Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Howto install Samsung Plex app

dodgedodge Posts: 16Members
Howto for installing the Plex app on your Samsung
Please read this: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/34067-howto-install-samsung-plex-app-updated-ip/page__view__findpost__p__274150

Since I have seen al lot of questions about howto install the app and this info is not on the forum yet I post it here.

First prepair your tv.

goto internet@tv or smarthub and creat a new account.

username: develop
password: can be anything what you like.

Now decide if you want to use the server of hd1080 or your own( when you have more own apps you have to use yours else you can take it from hd1080's server)

not your own server:
on your tv in internet@tv or smarthub goto settings and set the server ip.
fill in here x.x.x.x.
When you did that say "synchronise the files with the server" <-- i'm not close to my tv so could be different but it's something like this.
now it will install plex on your tv.
restart your tv ( turn it off and on)
go back to internet@tv or smarthub and plex should be in the list.

your own server.(advanced users)

First you need to download packeged app:
http://x.x.x.x/Widget/Plex_Laika_0956_America_20120110_09561_America_20120115.zip

put this on your server in the folder Widget

now create the xml widgetlist.xml
like this one:
http://x.x.x.x/widgetlist.xml
and put this in your root folder. your server will use this to install the app

make sure you change to ip adres to your own server ip.

now go back to your tv
on your tv in internet@tv or smarthub goto settings and set the server ip.
fill in here your server ip
When you did that say "synchronise the files with the server" <-- i'm not close to my tv so could be different but it's something like this.

gl on install.

hd1080: I hope you don't mind I put this info here and added your server adres.
feel free to edit it or put it in the FAQ threat.
I hope the questions about login and install will be less now.

Comments

• valpersaudvalpersaud Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass
    edited February 2012
    Hi Dodge,

I don't see a folder called Widget in my server folder. I am running it on Windows. Weird?

Ok - sorry Dodge... I got it.

I did the remote install (still not sure about the Widget folder) and deleted the "older Plex" - the one NOT called Laika.

I then started the Laika one and it actually took a couple minutes to start... I had previously thought it locked up but I gave it some time. I then configured it with the IP address of my server and all is well.

Thanks for your help and HD1080 for an excellent build!!!!
  • tbalouch@gmail.comtbalouch@gmail.com Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass
    edited February 2012
    Hi Hd,

Thank you so much for this app. The problem is I can't figure out how to enter this IP addresss and I'm very lost. What settings menu is it? I tried to go through your Plex For Samsung app pbworks page but it says I don't have access. Do you or anyone else have any ideas? I really want to see this working.
  • dodgedodge Posts: 16Members
    Plexnewbz wrote:

Hi Hd,

Thank you so much for this app. The problem is I can't figure out how to enter this IP addresss and I'm very lost. What settings menu is it? I tried to go through your Plex For Samsung app pbworks page but it says I don't have access. Do you or anyone else have any ideas? I really want to see this working.

do you mean to download the app or to connect to the pms server
    if its to download what tv do you have C or D.
    I have a C so I can help with that but don't know if it's different on a D version.

gl
    dodge wrote:

do you mean to download the app or to connect to the pms server
    if its to download what tv do you have C or D.
    I have a C so I can help with that but don't know if it's different on a D version.

gl

Thanks Dodge!

I have a UN55D6000 but I think its the same thing as a C. I need help with downloading it and installing it. I'm a little confused on the procedures. For settings do I press the blue D button on the remote to access settings? Do I need to be logged into Samsung Hub via my Samsung account for this to work? I have not been able to login to their servers yesterday and I called Samsung and they said it was a problem with their servers and it wont be fixed for another 12-24 hours.

Thanks so much for the response and help!
  • freerunnerfreerunner Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Plexnewbz wrote:

Thanks Dodge!

I have a UN55D6000 but I think its the same thing as a C. I need help with downloading it and installing it. I'm a little confused on the procedures. For settings do I press the blue D button on the remote to access settings? Do I need to be logged into Samsung Hub via my Samsung account for this to work? I have not been able to login to their servers yesterday and I called Samsung and they said it was a problem with their servers and it wont be fixed for another 12-24 hours.

Thanks so much for the response and help!

As stated at the top of this guide. Create a new account, don't log in with your existing Samsung account. Name the account develop, yes, it says that it should be an email address in the loginbox but just typing "develop" will do just fine.
    When you're logged in with this account, you will get an extended menu when you go to settings in Smart Hub, it's where you will put the ip-address of the server containing the zip-file, either your own web server or hd1080's (as stated in the first post). After that you do the app-sync in the same menu..
    freerunner wrote:

As stated at the top of this guide. Create a new account, don't log in with your existing Samsung account. Name the account develop, yes, it says that it should be an email address in the loginbox but just typing "develop" will do just fine.
    When you're logged in with this account, you will get an extended menu when you go to settings in Smart Hub, it's where you will put the ip-address of the server containing the zip-file, either your own web server or hd1080's (as stated in the first post). After that you do the app-sync in the same menu..

oh wow! I was confused about that part! So that's how you get the extended menu. I hope I'm able to login today. Thanks for the help!!
  • macstoremacstore Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Woooow, thanks guys, not only it works, it does the job fantasticly! Thank you, for me no more annoying appletv which has to be jailbroken and reboots unexpectedly!!!
  • clipperstallclipperstall Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass
    I think this thread should be pinned.
  • creechrrcreechrr Posts: 2Members
    I have to add a thanks as well.

I was able to get Plex installed on my B-R player and it works great with the exception of 1080P content.
  • hornjo70@gmail.comhornjo70@gmail.com Posts: 5Members
    edited December 2011
    I need some clarification regarding Plex settings.
    I have successfully added Plex and Laika to my BD-c5500 using the Develop account and hd1080's IP settings.
    When I open Laika I only have 2 options Quit and Preferences.
    In Preferences I have entered hd1080's IP, my computer's IP, and the port that the Plex Media Server says I am mapped to.
    Nothing works. I cannot connect to my network.
    Am I missing a step?
  • dodgedodge Posts: 16Members
    hornjo wrote:

I need some clarification regarding Plex settings.
    I have successfully added Plex and Laika to my BD-c5500 using the Develop account and hd1080's IP settings.
    When I open Laika I only have 2 options Quit and Preferences.
    In Preferences I have entered hd1080's IP, my computer's IP, and the port that the Plex Media Server says I am mapped to.
    Nothing works. I cannot connect to my network.
    Am I missing a step?

As far as I know you should only enter the ip of the pc where the plex media server is running on.
    if you didn't change to port in the server this should work automaticly.
    Do you run the latest plex server?
  • OizoOizo Posts: 3Members
    Hey,

first of all, thanks for this How-to, worked almost fine, but:

i made a new account, entered the ip of HD1080's server, and pressed sync

then a window pops up that says something like "automatically installing plex"

but the progess bar doesnst move. if i wait some minutes i can move in my Smarthub again, selecting icons, but the Sync window is still on top, and doesnt start the download/install,
    progressbar still at beginning.

Am i doing something wrong?

PS: sorry for my english, not a native speaker :)
  • freerunnerfreerunner Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Oizo wrote:

Hey,

first of all, thanks for this How-to, worked almost fine, but:

i made a new account, entered the ip of HD1080's server, and pressed sync

then a window pops up that says something like "automatically installing plex"

but the progess bar doesnst move. if i wait some minutes i can move in my Smarthub again, selecting icons, but the Sync window is still on top, and doesnt start the download/install,
    progressbar still at beginning.

Am i doing something wrong?

PS: sorry for my english, not a native speaker :)

1. Restart tv/bd-player
    2. If app is present, remove it
    3. try again
  • clipperstallclipperstall Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass
    As previously requested, please pin this thread as a result of it's high importance.
  • kevkev Posts: 1Members
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for this thread.

I am having similar problems to hornjo.

I managed to install Plex and Laika onto my samsung UA46D7000.

The app can't find my Plex Media Server even after entering the IP address of my computer.
    I'm not sure if I'm entering the correct address. Can you suggest a way to show my ip address. Is it the one that shows up when you look at network status in the settings menu on the TV?

The same problem occurs when I connect the TV directly with my router although internet still seems to work.

I am using PC XP2 SP3. D Link Router and Time capsule as my wireless.
    The plex app on my iphone can find the media server OK.

Cheers
    Kev.
  • I followed the instructions above, all seemed to work well, but after rebooting my tv, internet @ tv won't launch at all. The tv attempts to launch for a minute or so, then the tv switches off and then on again.

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

Kylie
  • ficken8ficken8 Posts: 10Members
    i don't find the Login for Admin.
    I click the Red Button i can only Login to Samsung?
    Where can type the Ip address?

i Dont understand.
  • smurph1@gmail.comsmurph1@gmail.com Posts: 2Members
    edited June 2012
    IMPROVED INSTRUCTIONS (as i have just done this on a UE40D6530, and following those here proved difficult)

not your own server:

Yes logon to Samsung as stated above (this is necessary as the menu that is going to be entered next gets more options), then....
    In smart tv mode
    goto settings, blue D bottom right and corner
    Select Developement
    Setting server IP
    Enter IP: x.x.x.x
    Then "User application synchronisation".

thanks to dodge for starting, hope this helps.
  • ficken8ficken8 Posts: 10Members
    Yes, Thanks. Now i Have the App.
    But Problem what i have is ... Couldn't connect to Plex Media Server.
    Plex Server is Running on Mac.. maybe an can Help me.

Thanks
  • I've got it installed too, and have no idea what to do next!!!
    Do I use Plex or Plex Laika App (whats the difference)?
    What PMS address do i enter? PC IP address?
    I have tried to use the media manager on pc, which opens in browser - its the worst to use i have come across...
    I can't add a folder with media easily, I had to type full address!!
    There is a drop down settings button, bottom left, and i can't open it!

HELP!
This discussion has been closed.