Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

USB Thumb Drive Plex Media Center (Portable)

cnicho01cnicho01 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
I was wondering if anyone have been able to get a Plex Player installed and running on a Thumb Drive? It would be great to be able to carry "Plex" around and plug it in and run on a friends / family / work PC and demo the features of Plex without a complete install. I understand that it would be without the server (unless we include a server too, hummm) I know there are all kinds of other software that developers have created to run on thumb drives, including complete OS, such as MS office, Firefox, etc. just wanted to see if anyone had done this. I did a search and didn't find anything on this topic.

Thanks for your time,

-Realbaddog

Comments

• cnicho01cnicho01 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Just a fyi, there is a site called PortableApps.com that posts several portable apps, and has a development page.

portableapps.com

-Realbaddog
  • WinstanoWinstano Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    If you create a shortcut to Plex and add the suffix -p, it'll run in Portable mode, similar to XBMC :)
  • MaxipMaxip Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    And if you use myPlex, you could access your own server / media so you can really show what the app can do.
  • cnicho01cnicho01 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Winstano wrote:

If you create a shortcut to Plex and add the suffix -p, it'll run in Portable mode, similar to XBMC :)

Sorry to be so dense, but how would you install it to a thumb, then use the shortcut..........and the other software needed (Google Chrome Frame, Flash and Silverlight) on the thumb.

didn't know that XBMC would run in portable......Thanks for sharing.

-Realbaddog