Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video Quality is horrible on Kindle Fire

8@bers088@bers08 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass
edited August 2012 in Plex for Android (old)
I get a surging effect regarding video quality and very pixelated
RESOLVED: For anyone experiencing video quality issues on the Kindle Fire - please try to turn on our experimental QuickSilver Transcoding. It's been tailored specifically for the Kindle Fire at this point so it may not work on all devices. You can find it here: Settings / Advanced Settings / Transcoder. It is still experimental - if you end up having trouble with it (on the Kindle Fire) please do let us know.

--

As soon as I saw that the Kindle Fire had the ability to run Plex for android I jumped online and bought one. I have it in my hands as of last night and so far I am very unhappy with the video quality of any of my videos through Plex for Android v 2.0.0.6.
The same videos look great on my iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Macbook Air and windows clients.
Is it that the device itself just simply sucks? Should I return it?

I have tried to change the following settings;

Video Quality
Local Plex Auto, 2 Mbps, 4 Mbps
Remote Plex - 720 kbps
Advanced settings;
Secondary media player - OpenGL player (I changed this from the default Plex Player)
Direct play - enabled
Enable direct streaming - checked
Device support - HLS - checked and unchecked
Enable video filter - checked and unchecked

I would love to get some advice and help soon so I know whether I should sent it back to Amazon or not.

Thank you.

Comments

• elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 8,848Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Generally speaking the higher the quality, the better the video should look, up to the point where it can't handle it anymore and stutters. Any chance you can be more specific about what exactly about the quality is not good? (Color, blockiness, stuttering, etc.)

• 8@bers088@bers08 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass
    elan wrote:

Generally speaking the higher the quality, the better the video should look, up to the point where it can't handle it anymore and stutters. Any chance you can be more specific about what exactly about the quality is not good? (Color, blockiness, stuttering, etc.)

Yes i can be specific - when a video opens it is very pixelated and the video visually has a surging effect. like every half second it stutters.
    I had this problem with watching video on a netbook when they first came out and I was thinking that maybe the fire just doesn't have enough horsepower. But when I stream video from amazon they look awesome, so it seems like there is a setting I am missing?

The video types that I have watched on the Fire include xvid encoded tv shows, SD material, 720p x264 material and 1080p x264 just to see if it would work. I have mostly .mkv files. I have a few avi's and a few .wmv HD stuff.

Thank you.
    I updated my plex media server to version 9.5.2 and for me that seems to have helped with video quality on the Kindle Fire.
    I can get video to play pretty decently at 1.5 Mbps but any higher and it starts to stutter.

Is this just the fire or is it something else I need to change?

Thanks for your help.
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 8,848Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    8@bers08 wrote:

I updated my plex media server to version 9.5.2 and for me that seems to have helped with video quality on the Kindle Fire.
    I can get video to play pretty decently at 1.5 Mbps but any higher and it starts to stutter.

To my knowledge this relates to the CPU power on the Kindle, and its lack of native support for HTTP Live Streaming (a technology that was added in the Honeycomb timeframe which can great improve streaming video quality). That being said, I'm not sure what quality setting is recommended, I'd see if there are other threads in here discussing that device, and I'll ask one of the engineers.
  • BillismBillism Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    I came here looking for a solution to the same problem. I bought Plex for myself a while back and use it with my Nexus One phone and it works great. I saw it was available on my wife's Kindle Fire, so I bought it for her, too.

I am running Plex Media Server for Windows (Windows 7, 32bit).

After reading this thread, I updated from Plex Media Server version 0.9.3.4-29679ad to 0.9.5.2. I did not notice an improvement in quality. I have tried it in "Auto-Select" and 1.5Mbps video quality settings in the Plex client and the video is still poor quality. Very pixelated. This is being tested on my LAN with excellent wifi signal.

Hoping for a definitive solution or explanation.

Thanks!
  • darrindarrin Plex Dev Team Posts: 2,044Members
    Billism - make sure that you've selected the "Plex OpenGL Player" in the advanced settings tab... that definitely makes a big difference.
    We've been able to get decent results at 1.5Mbps and 2Mbps - and we think this is a nice entry level plex player. This said with the processing power on this device - streamed video is simply not going to be as good as a tablet that natively supports HLS. If you really need HD quality my recommendation is to look into another device running Honeycomb or higher.
    darrin wrote:

Billism - make sure that you've selected the "Plex OpenGL Player" in the advanced settings tab... that definitely makes a big difference.
    We've been able to get decent results at 1.5Mbps and 2Mbps - and we think this is a nice entry level plex player. This said with the processing power on this device - streamed video is simply not going to be as good as a tablet that natively supports HLS. If you really need HD quality my recommendation is to look into another device running Honeycomb or higher.

Thanks for the input. I don't know much about different types of video content when it comes to streaming, I am just getting my feel wet now but love the Plex system.
    I don't know why the video quality is so good when streaming from Amazon or Netflix but when I stream from my own local content it (the Fire) struggles to show even low video quality.
    I look forward to any new updates that Amazon puts out for the Fire and any further improvements the wonderful team at Plex releases.
    Thank you.
  • darrindarrin Plex Dev Team Posts: 2,044Members
    We will make further improvements to be sure. I'm guessing Netflix and Amazon were able to get their hands on this platform a bit sooner than we were able to... ;)
  • eclass82eclass82 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass
    yeah, I'm similar issues with my kindle fire as-well. I have great wifi connection and even with the suggested setting the video still looks blocky and choppy almost un-watchable sometimes however, my android phone works surprisingly well.
  • nathan118nathan118 Posts: 16Members
    Any updates on the kindle fire? Runs super choppy...looks like a youtube mobile video. :(
  • daam_amorrelledaam_amorrelle Posts: 1Members
    Having the same issue. On wifi with a decently fast PMS. No matter what quality I set the stream to its very choppy. Had high hopes (still do) as I find the iphone app works very well.
  • jerseydevil62jerseydevil62 Posts: 148Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Having the same issue as everyone else. PMS streams fine to IOS devices both local and remote as well as Andriod phones but is VERY choppy on the Fire (have only tried this local to the server and not over the Internet). The fire plays Amazon and Netflix videos as close to perfect as you would expect. Has to be some setting we just don't have matched up right with the Fire yet.
    I'm happy to say that we're investigating a few different ways to improve the video quality.
  • jerseydevil62jerseydevil62 Posts: 148Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    You the man Elan!
  • brians238brians238 Posts: 7Members
    Great news! I sent a log the other day from the Fire--I don't know if it is useful for your work.

Best,

Brian

elan wrote:

I'm happy to say that we're investigating a few different ways to improve the video quality.
  • user0900user0900 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    brians238 wrote:

Great news! I sent a log the other day from the Fire--I don't know if it is useful for your work.

Best,

Brian

Any update?
    We're still working on this, it's very important to us :-)
  • elan wrote:

We're still working on this, it's very important to us :-)

Hey eland thanks for all the effort might wanna see mypost bout plex vs mp4.
    thanks agaifred
  • wasylynawasylyna Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Interesting to note VideoJug videos play flawlessly via Plex on the Kindle Fire. All other videos seem to have the same playback issue with Plex. I did try to force directplay but experienced the identical choppy video playback. My other clients playback video fine with Plex.

When I installed the cifs driver and a third party player on the Kindle Fire, all of these videos play fine. Therefore, I know this is definitely a plex on Kindle Fire issue. Is there an ETA for fixing this issue on the Kindle Fire?

When I installed the cifs driver and a third party player on the Kindle Fire, all of these videos play fine. Therefore, I know this is definitely a plex on Kindle Fire issue. Is there an ETA for fixing this issue on the Kindle Fire?

Is there any way you can share a video for us to test with, and/or provide a logcat of the video playback?

If the file is MP4, and it's optimized for streaming, those should Direct Playing.