Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Jailbreaking and Installing Plex on your ATV2

marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
Just an updated guide for those looking for fresh info.
First thing - Download Seasonpass... follow the easy instructions on how to JB your ATV2. There are plenty of places to find info on Jailbreaking but in a gist there's two main types of jailbreaks - tethered and untethered. Keeping it simple, Untethered means if your device loses power it will restart no problem when the power comes back on. Tethered jailbreaks require you to hook your ATV2 back up to your computer when the power goes out in order to start it up.

When Apple updates the ATV2 sometimes the untethered method (which is better of course) doesn't work so you have to wait for the amazing jail breakers to come up with a solution. As of 1/3/12 - the most recent version of the ATV2 (4.4.4) has an untethered jailbreak. You can find more info on the Seasonpass web site:

Seasonpass Web Site

Here is a youtube video from xctechs on how to JB - it's a bit older, but the process is basically the same. Make sure you're using the newest version of iTunes and seasonpass: Un-tethered JB video

Then you'll need to hook your ATV2 up to your TV. Set it up, connect it to your home network via wifi or ethernet. Then go into the settings of the ATV2- go to network and copy down the device's IP address (example 192.168.0.104 which I'll use for the rest of this tutorial). You'll know if your ATV2 is JB correctly if you see a little FireCore logo in the bottom right corner.

747790_300.jpg

No go onto your PC/Mac. I'll do these instructions from a Mac perspective, but basically you need some way to SSH onto your ATV2; For Mac we'll use the Terminal App (found in in Applications> Utilities folder). For PC there are man specific free apps you can use. I believe one such app is known as PuTTy. If you go to xctechs youtube page mentioned above, you'll see he has a video on how to SSH into a ATV2 on windows (and mac for that matter).

SSH Into ATV2
Anyways, start terminal and paste the code listed below into terminal (changing the IP address to your ATV2 specific IP address) and then hit enter. So you'll enter: ssh root@(followed by your ip address that was obtained earlier in this tutorial). see below for the code I'd use if my ip address was 192.168.0.104

ssh root@192.168.0.104

Then you'll be prompted with a few questions, type either (y) or (Y) to answer them, and hit enter. Eventually you'll be asked to enter a password. The default password is alpine. In Terminal your won't be able to see your typing when entering alpine, but just realize this - hit enter when done. IF you've SSH'd into your ATV2 correctly you'll see this in terminal: Apple-TV:~ root#

Install Plex App

This thread is largely outdated for v5.0+ of the ATV software so as of 9/22/2012 go this this link to find the newest update:

Newest Plex Build (9/22/2012)

Preventing updates and removing main menu items

Plex should be installed now on the main screen. You may need to restart your ATV2 (shut it off) for Plex to appear on the main screen. But there are a few other things you may want to consider doing now that your ATV2 is jailbroken. The following three points will allow you to manually change and remove items on the ATV2. I'm also going to include an alternative to some of these steps - which will require you to install NitoTV. Again, this is just an alternative step and not necessary but may be easier for some and in addition you may like NitoTV which is another application for the ATV2 which increases functionality of the device. It'll be found below steps 1,2, and 3. Thanks to Unsoluble for the information.

1) the first is to prevent automatic updating. This will prevent the device from updating which will break your Jailbreak and mess up all of your hard work!
- First SSH back into your ATV2 using the above steps.
- Now run these commands (copy and past each one separately hitting enter after each):
cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.bak

echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts

echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts

echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

Installing NitoTV

Thanks to Unsoluble for the tips/suggestions.
NitoTV is another application for the ATV2 which increases the functionality of the device. It also provides you with an alternative way to prevent appleTV updates as well as remove the FireCore logo. Once NitoTV is installed you'll see an option from the main menu to install additional software. There's a lot of content you can install including XBMC for ATV, bug fixes, and RSS apps. Personally I like Overflow which allows you to hide items and reorganize the main menu.

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV

Anyways, on to the code!

SSH into your ATV2 and run the following commands, hitting enter after each. You may be prompted to accept a few things - just type "Y" to agree.

apt-get update

apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV

Now just restart your ATV and you'll see that NitoTV is on the main menu, and if you haven't done so manually, the FireCore logo should be replaced with the normal ATV logo. You can now use NitoTV to install additional content.

If you want to install a few of the programs and features and then remove NitoTV - you can SSH back into the ATV and run this command to REMOVE NitoTV:

apt-get remove com.nito.nitoTV

Installing newer versions of the Plex App

Work in progress

Donating to the ATV2 Plex team

Go to this web site: http://elan.plexapp.com/

On the right you'll see a link to donate. Click on it and make sure to include in your donation a message saying that it should go to the ATV2 team.

Comments

• jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,997 Plex Ninja
    This is perfect! Thanks a bunch!
  • pwfletcherpwfletcher Members Posts: 26
    edited January 2012
    Dude ... you ROCK!

;-)

PS - If I am all jailbroken and have PLEX installed on my ATV2, is there any reason to get [url="http://www.humanovation.com/2011/11/18/firecore-goes-gold-…-1-0-now-available-for-your-apple-tv-2nd-generation/"]FireCore's ATV Flash[/url]? I mean, does it really do anything for me if I am just watching movies via PLEX?
    pwfletcher wrote:

Dude ... you ROCK!

;-)

PS - If I am all jailbroken and have PLEX installed on my ATV2, is there any reason to get [url="http://www.humanovation.com/2011/11/18/firecore-goes-gold-…-1-0-now-available-for-your-apple-tv-2nd-generation/"]FireCore's ATV Flash[/url]? I mean, does it really do anything for me if I am just watching movies via PLEX?

You don't need fire core, it's just a nifty software for installing apps if you are not good with ssh and command line stuff basically :)
  • pwfletcherpwfletcher Members Posts: 26

You don't need fire core, it's just a nifty software for installing apps if you are not good with ssh and command line stuff basically :)

Thanks ... that is what I thought ;-)
  • 00Sena00Sena Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass
    Thank you so much for this! This should be stickied!

Especially the blocking auto-updates and removing parts of the UI that you don't use. That's really key and I love it.
    I'm assuming to re-enable the music section (for $25/year I might just do it) you just reverse the command?

Thanks again
    Mephistox wrote:

Thank you so much for this! This should be stickied!

Especially the blocking auto-updates and removing parts of the UI that you don't use. That's really key and I love it.
    I'm assuming to re-enable the music section (for $25/year I might just do it) you just reverse the command?

Thanks again

To enable the section you just run the command again without the .old at the end.
  • auzamboauzambo Members Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for this post. A couple of quick questions:

1. Is this version fully supported in 4.4.4?
    2. I'm currently running Plex version 0.8.3 on my ATV2, which is running iOS 4.3. If the new Plex is fully supported for 4.4.4 then upgrade both the iOS, rejailbreak, and install the new version of Plex...but if the answer to my question #1 is no and I remain on 4.3 should I still upgrade my Plex to the new version?

Sorry...that last question got a little wordy!

*EDIT: I'm not deleting this post because someone else may have the same questions, but I found the pinned thread about version 9.0 being released in beta and I found my answers there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I gathered:

1. The new version is working on 4.4.4, but they're still working out the kinks.
    2. if running 4.3 you can upgrade to 9.0 if you want, but I don't see a reason to.
  • geekz85geekz85 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 129 Plex Pass
    This topic is just brilliant, thanks! It is the most helpful in the whole board.
    I just have another question according Plex-Updates. What is the easiest way to update Plex on the ATV 2G?
    Also the hints according removing of sections is very helpful. Is it even possible to remove sections from Plex like iPhoto etc?
  • marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
    I've added info on how to upgrade to the most current version of the app. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
  • plendilplendil Members Posts: 6
    marklight wrote:

I've added info on how to upgrade to the most current version of the app. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

hi there thank you very much for this info i will try again. although i did copy and paste all the commands.and tried 5 times. i will now follow this info you gave me and try again.i dont know if i mentioned im using windows 7 and appletv 2 4.4.4. thanks again
    plendil wrote:

hi there thank you very much for this info i will try again. although i did copy and paste all the commands.and tried 5 times. i will now follow this info you gave me and try again.i dont know if i mentioned im using windows 7 and appletv 2 4.4.4. thanks again

If you could elaborate a bit more as to where your hangup is or what exactly is going wrong I might be able to be more clear in my instructions. - Did you watch any of the youtube videos that were mentioned at the beginning of the post (as I've never JB/installed Plex using a windows PC)?
  • blizeh@hotmail.comblizeh@hotmail.com Members Posts: 57
    Holy hell, I'm on my third jailbroken iPhone now, and would happily jailbreak my iPad 2 as well if I could - just looking at this now and it's really no where near as simple huh? Never had to SSH before.

But the guide is brilliant, and I'd be screwed with it, thank you.
  • RedthRedth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 23 Plex Pass
    Does nito's updatebegone still apply as an appropriate update blocking method with 4.4.4? I suppose also editing the hosts file can't hurt though...
  • UnsolubleUnsoluble Members, Plex Pass Posts: 556 Plex Pass
    Redth wrote:

Does nito's updatebegone still apply as an appropriate update blocking method with 4.4.4? I suppose also editing the hosts file can't hurt though...

Yep, still works.
    Unsoluble wrote:

Yep, still works.

Yea I'll confirm this. I didn't include anything about NitoTV - which has a bunch of nice features that automatically install certain programs and features. I guess I only use Plex on my ATV and I don't like putting anything else on it just because of clutter (although I know overflow does a nice job cleaning stuff up). If people want it I can include a section for installing NitoTV - not like it's hard to do...
    Every time I do a new jailbreak, I install Nito, use it to get the update blocker, Exposed, and the screensaver fix, then delete it. :)
    Unsoluble wrote:

Every time I do a new jailbreak, I install Nito, use it to get the update blocker, Exposed, and the screensaver fix, then delete it. :)

Thanks Unsoluble, I updated the guide with some info on NitoTV
  • blizeh@hotmail.comblizeh@hotmail.com Members Posts: 57
    Quick question - is it easier to jailbreak and SSH etc on Mac or Windows? Want to know if I should try to borrow my girlfriend's laptop or just do it on my desktop

Cheers
    blizeH wrote:

Quick question - is it easier to jailbreak and SSH etc on Mac or Windows? Want to know if I should try to borrow my girlfriend's laptop or just do it on my desktop

Pretty sure the jailbreaking part is probably about the same, but the SSHing is definitely simpler on the Mac, as you can use the built-in Terminal app instead of dealing with a third-party solution.
  • DaeveDaeve Members Posts: 75
    edited January 2012
    Simpler on mac yes - but to what degree? On the Windows PC is it as simple as installing PuTTy windows installer and running it to SSH in (maybe 2 or 3 extra mouse clicks).