Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Jailbreaking and Installing Plex on your ATV2

Comments

• UnsolubleUnsoluble Members, Plex Pass Posts: 556 Plex Pass
    Knowing which SSH app you need, finding it, downloading it, and installing it is pretty much the definition of less simple than just running a preinstalled app. The question was "which is easier". :)
  • blizeh@hotmail.comblizeh@hotmail.com Members Posts: 57
    Brilliant, thank you! I'll try that, since from my brief experience of SSH'ing into my iPhone from Windows 7... it was a bit fiddly tbh
  • Hagbard88Hagbard88 Members Posts: 3
    Hi, i just bought an ATV2 and it came with Software 4.4.3 (3323). Then i just downloaded and installed itunes (haven´t any account nor apple id. does this matter?) and got seas0npass and an orginal firmware file with version 4.3 (i want to try this for plex).
    I startet seas0npass and did a shift-Click on Create-IPSW and gave him the AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F455_Restore.ipsw file .... he does as been told and created the custom firmware and after i got the ATV in DFU mode, itunes tried to install the CF. But i always get the error 3194.
    Yes, my hosts file is fine. No entry facing an apple server.
    I tried to reboot and tried another windows client. No success.

Is there an error with apple signing this CF?
    Can anyone help?
  • jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,011 Plex Ninja
    Hagbard88 wrote:

Hi, i just bought an ATV2 and it came with Software 4.4.3 (3323). Then i just downloaded and installed itunes (haven´t any account nor apple id. does this matter?) and got seas0npass and an orginal firmware file with version 4.3 (i want to try this for plex).
    I startet seas0npass and did a shift-Click on Create-IPSW and gave him the AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F455_Restore.ipsw file .... he does as been told and created the custom firmware and after i got the ATV in DFU mode, itunes tried to install the CF. But i always get the error 3194.
    Yes, my hosts file is fine. No entry facing an apple server.
    I tried to reboot and tried another windows client. No success.

Is there an error with apple signing this CF?
    Can anyone help?

Apple is not signing the older firmware anymore, so you won't be able to push 4.4.3 to it, unless you magically had copies of the blobs from an apple tv you just bought. (sarcasm inserted there :) ).

I can say just go with 4.4.4 and the beta 4 of plex it's just as stable as 8.3 on 4.4.3 was for me.
    So, Downgrades are not possible at all?
    I read that downgrades are possible with seas0npass...

I managed to jailbreak and upload the 4.4.4 version.
    But there are still some issues with plex which do not work. But these issues belong to another thread.
    Hagbard88 wrote:

So, Downgrades are not possible at all?
    I read that downgrades are possible with seas0npass...

I managed to jailbreak and upload the 4.4.4 version.
    But there are still some issues with plex which do not work. But these issues belong to another thread.

You used to be able to downgrade but now that apple is no longer signing the 4.4.3 firmware you cannot.
  • The_LonzThe_Lonz Members Posts: 4
    Thank you so, so much for this. I bought my ATV2 months ago and I stupidly updated by mistake. Installed Plex 0.9 Beta tonight and it works beautifully.

Thanks again, keep up the good work

Yours gratefully,
    The_Lonz

You used to be able to downgrade but now that apple is no longer signing the 4.4.3 firmware you cannot.

Thx for this valuable post. So i didn´t do anything wrong. It´s just noch possible and i have to live with the 4.4.4 jailbreak.
    I managed to extract the SHSH-Blobs from 4.4.3. So with this, i should at least downgrade to 4.4.3 jailbreak. Right?
    Hagbard88 wrote:

Thx for this valuable post. So i didn´t do anything wrong. It´s just noch possible and i have to live with the 4.4.4 jailbreak.
    I managed to extract the SHSH-Blobs from 4.4.3. So with this, i should at least downgrade to 4.4.3 jailbreak. Right?

That is correct, if you have your blobs you can use tiny umbrella and enable the tss server and then try the restore in iTunes.
  • DeejaydoubleyouDeejaydoubleyou Members Posts: 21
    Hey guys. I have jail broken(?) my ATV2 before but trying it again and when I SSH I get this reply

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
    Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
    It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
    The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
    4a:56:78:c4:5c:c8:a9:02:c9:9b:e2:bf:e5:29:a4:db.
    Please contact your system administrator.
    Add correct host key in /Users/deejaydub/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
    Offending key in /Users/deejaydub/.ssh/known_hosts:1
    RSA host key for 192.168.0.14 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
    Host key verification failed.

I have zero knowledge of anything in terminal so any help is appreciated.

Cheers
    go to this folder in finder /Users/deejaydub/.ssh/ and open known_hosts in textedit, delete everything and save it, reconnect to atv and it should on the first time say blah blah about security say yes. That's the easiest and quickest fix instead of trying to teach you how to edit the one line out of the file.

Good Luck,
    edited January 2012

go to this folder in finder /Users/deejaydub/.ssh/ and open known_hosts in textedit, delete everything and save it, reconnect to atv and it should on the first time say blah blah about security say yes. That's the easiest and quickest fix instead of trying to teach you how to edit the one line out of the file.

Good Luck,

In finder you say? After users/deejaydub it gives me the applications folder, the movies folder, etc. I'm thinking I must be in the wrong place but even if I search for .ssh or known_hosts it doesn't find anything.
    right click finder then select go to folder in there paste

/Users/deejaydub/.ssh/

then follow previous instructions :)
    You see, that's why this software, it's developers, moderators and forum users are the best! Deleted the file, logged in no problems.

Thanks Monsieur Latte!
  • f00b4rf00b4r Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,914 Plex Pass
    Marklight,

Is it possible to add a section to the first post explaining about firmware signing and telling users to use Tiny Umbrella (or equivalent) to back up their blobs for any current/new firmware releases?

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

Wiki: click here

How to report an issue: click here

Github (download the app): click here

Donations (Paypal): [US-$], [EUR]

• membermember Members Posts: 2
    I have tried to install plex on my apple tv using the above. When i go and try and use the apple tv it keeps flashing on and off, then the apple tv requires to be restored what am I doing wrong.
  • jjrubiojjrubio Members Posts: 1
    I can't install anything in my aptv2 cus when a put the password said that (Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive) Help please!!!!!
  • SvenJSvenJ Members Posts: 3
    I've installed Plex 0.10 beta on my ATV 2 version 4.3

Under Plex I have Server List and Settings as menu options.
    I've tried to add my friends server but it doesn't list aunder Server List.
    Under Settings/Manage server list it is listed but with a purple icon.
    What am I doing wrong here? How can I get it green and listed under Server List?

// Sven
  • tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,524 Plex Employee
    SvenJ wrote:

I've installed Plex 0.10 beta on my ATV 2 version 4.3

Under Plex I have Server List and Settings as menu options.
    I've tried to add my friends server but it doesn't list aunder Server List.
    Under Settings/Manage server list it is listed but with a purple icon.
    What am I doing wrong here? How can I get it green and listed under Server List?

// Sven

Remote connections should be over myPlex. Configure that and have your friend share the server with you and it should show up

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

• SvenJSvenJ Members Posts: 3

Remote connections should be over myPlex. Configure that and have your friend share the server with you and it should show up

Thanks for rapid response.
    I missed to logon to my account under myPles Settings, after that I have Queue as a menu a option.
    The server is shared and I can see it under servers at my.plexapp.com.
    I can access it from my iPhone, but not from the ATV.
    Where should it show up? Under server list? If so does it take long time?

// Sven