Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Jailbreaking and Installing Plex on your ATV2

Comments

• HomieXHomieX Members Posts: 8
    edited October 2012
    How do you go back to .106 ?
    Is it as simple as ---> wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/downloads/thomashw/thomashw.github.com/plex_atv_plugin-0.10.107.deb and just change .107 to .106 ?

Im realy going crazy over this ! Random rebots or it goes into bootloop or hangs at trying to go into PLEX... GrrrRrRrrrRr !!!

I just gave it another try, but NOO This time after fresh jailbreak with seasonpass at FW 5.0.2 (4250) it EVEN MORE randomly rebots.
    First time i coulden´t even do network settings b4 it reboted on me. :( And now it´s looping again....

This is how i did --->
    20121013235932-46.236.66.122.png
    20121014000032-46.236.66.122.png
    20121014000119-46.236.66.122.png
    20121014000203-46.236.66.122.png
    20121014000247-46.236.66.122.png

But as you can see (poor videoquality)
    [media]image
    It just loops... :(

/Homie
  • crlieutenantcrlieutenant Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Try jailbreaking with seas0npass but do not install plex just yet. Then test your appleTV. It should work fine as an appletv without plex. If it is working properly check the version of the apple tv in settings it should be 5.0.2. If everything is working up to that point, now try installing plex .106 instead of .107 and let us know how that worked out for ya.
    Well i havent got that far just yet...
    No PLEX is installed, im still at what i wrote last time. :(

/Homie
    edited October 2012
    HomieX wrote:

Well i havent got that far just yet...
    No PLEX is installed, im still at what i wrote last time. :(

/Homie

HomieX I am not sure I follow. You attempted to jailbreak with seas0npass, and after successfully installing 5.0.2 you found your appletv unstable, and you are unable to go any further?

If that is the case, you need to re-jailbreak it. Jailbreaking erases the software that is on your appletv and allows you to rewrite the firmware. I had to jailbreak mine 5 times and install Plex 5 times before I figured out that Plex.v 107 was not gonna work for me. Just disconnect it from your tv and follow the instructions on this site to jailbreak with seas0npass.

Remember if all else fails, you can go back to using your appletv with the latest firmware from apple and wait for the next jailbreak.

You are not alone in this my friend, we will get you through it.
    I have re-jailbreak my ATv more then 5 times now...
    The last2 times not even trying to install PLEX on it.
    And it randomly crashes on me.

/Homie
    edited October 2012
    HomieX wrote:

I have re-jailbreak my ATv more then 5 times now...
    The last2 times not even trying to install PLEX on it.
    And it randomly crashes on me.

/Homie

Homie it sounds like maybe you have already updated to the latest firmware from apple, which is not jailbreakable. If that is the case, I think your only option is to do a restore in itunes to the newest firmware (5.1) from apple and then wait for that version to be jailbroken. At least you will be able to get your appletv operational again.

If needed, the Apple TV can be easily restored to it's factory state through iTunes - removing any and all 3rd party software (including all traces of jailbreaking).

EDIT!!!
    Breaking News: Apple is signing 5.0.2 (again)

Homie I got great news for you. After I posted I came across this topic on firecores website. Here are the instructions and several members on the forum confirmed that this is still working.

Try this.

1.Download http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/041-4362.20120605.t8i4U/AppleTV2,1_5.0.2_9B830_Restore.ipsw
    2.Open iTunes.
    3.Connect ATV2 to USB port on your PC with a USB to mirco USB cable (not supplied by apple)
    4.Select Apple TV in iTunes.
    5.Hold down Shift and click Restore.
    6.Select the ipsw that you saved from step 1.
    7.Wait a long time for process to complete.
    8.If Apple is still signing 5.0.2 then it should complete without error.
    Enjoy!

Thanks for the effort crlieutenant

But if you look at the pictures i added a few posts up it IS 5.0.2 i am flashing. ;)

/Homie
    After a few more days with trail and error, the only conclution i can come up with is that the Jailbreak with the latest seasonpass is NOT working as it should on every devises.

/Homie
  • aaron.paceaaron.pace Members, Plex Pass Posts: 139 Plex Pass
    Just wanted to post. I picked up an ATV2 that was running 4.4.4. Downloaded seasonpass and jailbroke the ATV2. It's working GREAT. Love the fact I now have another Plex box in the house. Used it last night to watch The Walking Dead. Awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.
  • clarkbarclarkbar Members Posts: 5
    sirs
    i have an apple2tv 4.4.4. jail broken device that i purchased from an ebay seller last february.
    "plex" comes up upon the 1st page menu but there is no activity upon it.
    please advise me what plex is and what am i missing without it and the involement to acquire it?
    thx
    clarkbar
  • 12mins12mins Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    For whats it's worth:

I own a MacBook pro2010 and tried everything to jailbreak my atv2, but nothing worked. Changed cables, tried every possible combination and given solution. After giving up after months, I tried one more time with my work pc laptop (win7) and the jailbreak was done within a minute.

I guess I'm saying, it might be not you or your methods, but something not so obvious. I thought my MacBook Pro is superior, and it is accept for jail breaking my atv2 in my case.
  • 12mins12mins Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    For whats it's worth:

I own a MacBook pro2010 and tried everything to jailbreak my atv2, but nothing worked. Changed cables, tried every possible combination and given solution. After giving up after months, I tried one more time with my work pc laptop (win7) and the jailbreak was done within a minute.

I guess I'm saying, it might be not you or your methods, but something not so obvious. I thought my MacBook Pro is superior, and it is accept for jail breaking my atv2 in my case.
  • KongoloaderKongoloader Members Posts: 2
    Hello

I bought my AT second generation today and was hopfull to get Plex installed. it only had XBMC installed and I needed to add Plex. I followed the instruction in the guide but it didn´t work. I noticed that it stopped at 99% on the second stage. After this it diden respon to any command I did enter. I did it over again but it stopped at 99%:

99% [Connecting to awkwardtv.dyndns.tv]

Could any one please let me know how to proceed?
  • fmjfmj Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass
    Anyone tried the latest jailbreak (http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-jailbreaking-101-seas0npass). Working with plex?
  • f00b4rf00b4r Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,914 Plex Pass
    edited February 2013
    fmj wrote:

Anyone tried the latest jailbreak (http://support.firec...-101-seas0npass). Working with plex?

Plex needs to be updated to work.The developer only gets the jailbreak at the same time as the rest of us so you may want to give him at least a few days to a week to even start looking at it to see what needs to be done.
    If Plex is important to you then you should either be holding off upgrading or making sure you have your blobs so that you can go back to an earlier firmware anyway <_<.
  • buggerbugger Members Posts: 176
    First post links to the "Newest Plex Build" from 9/22/2012.

Isn't the latest from 11/21/2012?
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/51259-plex-0110b2/
  • f00b4rf00b4r Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,914 Plex Pass
    bugger wrote:

First post links to the "Newest Plex Build" from 9/22/2012.

Isn't the latest from 11/21/2012?
    http://forums.plexap...59-plex-0110b2/

The first post is out of date, you could message the OP asking him to update it.
  • stu2younowstu2younow Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

Have Apple Tv 2 5.0.2 Firmware Plex Installed I do have some massive buffering problems, also running XBMC but is there a version of Plex other than11.0b that will not kick me out of XBMC half way into a show? I did upgrade 5.3 ran Plex connect will Plex connect run on 5.0.2? So I won't keep getting kicked out. Thanks for the help if any. Stu2younow!

• rsavarsava Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,551 Plex Pass
    stu2younow wrote on September 30 2014, 4:33 AM: »

Have Apple Tv 2 5.0.2 Firmware Plex Installed I do have some massive buffering problems, also running XBMC but is there a version of Plex other than11.0b that will not kick me out of XBMC half way into a show? I did upgrade 5.3 ran Plex connect will Plex connect run on 5.0.2? So I won't keep getting kicked out. Thanks for the help if any. Stu2younow!

The Plex ATV app was never an official app and has not been updated in a loooong, looong time. It is a dead product that was created and maintained by a user.

Your best bet is to move to PlexConnect 

• wahlman.jwahlman.j Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,560 Plex Pass

I will leave this here for reference on how to install PlexConnect on iOS 5.3 aTV jailbroken:

I believe I found an even easier solution to install this I have also included my optional development theme as well that will give you larger posters and a way to merge your local and shared libraries into one tab if desired (All Libraries):

Use putty for windows, a terminal for OS X or linux, or this for iOS Serverauditor

ssh root@ipaddress <--------replace ipaddress with your aTV ip address for example mine is:
    ssh root@192.168.1.101
    default aTV password = alpine

Follow these easy terminal commands. I have installed this on multiple atv2's and so have others, set your dns to auto not manual. This automates nearly the entire aTV plexconnect installation for you. ssh into your aTV and enter these commands after your navigated to the folder where you placed them (nitoTV is the easiest way to install openssh for ssh access, also server auditor ). Paste either of these easy one liners using your favorite ssh client (no ftp required unless unspoofing your iOS):

iBaa (default) theme:

apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/atvjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/atvjailbreak; chmod +x installbaa.bash; ./installbaa.bash

or

Wahlmanj (custom) theme:

apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/atvjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/atvjailbreak; chmod +x installwahlmanj.bash; ./installwahlmanj.bash

once complete the aTV will reboot and you will have a new plexconnect button. Just sign into myplex and you should be all set with a portable PlexConnect host thanks to iBaa's new code for owned and remote servers via myplex that gives you the experience of PlexConnect just like at home but anywhere.

Optional log back in to your atv via ssh after your atv reboots and type this if you want more apps by spoofing your iOS version to a higher iOS after navigating to the spoof.deb location:

cd /Applications/atvjailbreak; dpkg -i spoof.deb

If you need to unspoof the Info.plist for the aTV Firmware is located and must be named exactly as shown here:

/private/var/stash/Applications/AppleTV.app/info.plist

Here is the original and spoofed plists:

https://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak/raw/master/innternal use/ios5_3regInfo.plist

https://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak/raw/master/innternal use/ios5_3spoofedInfo.plist

Once unspoofed reboot your aTV for the changes to take affect. Spoofing doesn't work with badges since it changes the firmware to a higher iOS so after you are done I would recommend disabling the badges which can be easily done using my theme otherwise there is a way to specify your iOS in iBaa's theme but I'm not sure (or remember) how to, to be honest with you.

Hopefuly the autoupdate plist works if not you can manually update by typing this into a terminal window after you ssh into your atv:

update.bash

If for any reason the updating doesn't work you can update by just running the original install one liner above or shutting down plexconnect then updating using this code:

stop.bash; cd/Applications/PlexConnect; git pull; sleep 8; start.bash

For your shared content and local content to work away from home you must be successfully signed into myplex in your PMS. Also you must have your PMS port forwarded and pointed at your PlexConnect host for this to work right on your router if using it outside your LAN. If PlexConnect resides behind for example a synology box you must open these ports as well for it to work outside your lan tcp/udp.

If you only desire PlexConnect to work for your local content and don't use myplex you can ignore the paragraph above this. If you share your content you still would need to be successfully signed into myplex in your PMS with your ports properly forwarded to you PMS host on your router or gateway.

Note - Keep in mind this will prevent AirControl to work since it uses port 80 which is required by PlexConnect.