Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app for Panasonic Smart Viera

sunrisersunriser Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 2012 in Other Third-Party Clients
I plan to get a Panasonic Plasma TV set (55VT30 ) and i wonder if some Plex app is in the work for the Panasonic Smart Viera Connect platform...

Comments

• gjaingjain Posts: 6Members
    I have three Panasonic Viera TVs in my house along with a Netgear ReayNAS. I am also hoping that there is a Panasonic app in the works.
  • IgnitionIgnition Posts: 5Members
    edited January 2012
    I got the 55VT30E and hope for Plex on it, too.
  • berserkberserk Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass
    I would be rather happy about a Plex client on Viera but I believe it is less likely 'cause Viera development SDK is not free. You need to register to Viera Developer Community (this is not the actual name, just something I made up cause I am too lazy to look for it :D ) which requires you to pay something like 130$ annually. I planned to develop such a client myself (like the one for Samsung SmartTVs) but this subscription model is expensive for an ethusiast work.
  • mikeknightmikeknight Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    berserk wrote:

I would be rather happy about a Plex client on Viera but I believe it is less likely 'cause Viera development SDK is not free. You need to register to Viera Developer Community (this is not the actual name, just something I made up cause I am too lazy to look for it :D ) which requires you to pay something like 130$ annually. I planned to develop such a client myself (like the one for Samsung SmartTVs) but this subscription model is expensive for an ethusiast work.

If someone is willing to that programming stuff for the Panasonic tv's so iam willing to spend the money for the developer account !
  • Try4GoldTry4Gold Posts: 1Members
    It seems to me Panasonic would be all over this...why wouldn't Panasonic have an in house team develop this? I bought 2 tv's just this year - 1 a panasonic and a much cheaper 1 LG. the LG has a Plex interface that I LOVE and now my only regret is that I didn't buy 2 LG 's
  • glennpollock@shaw.caglennpollock@shaw.ca Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mikeknight wrote:

If someone is willing to that programming stuff for the Panasonic tv's so iam willing to spend the money for the developer account !

Has this idea progressed? I would be willing to contribute financially as well.

Regards
    Nope, not yet :)
    Really ? no one ???
  • gjaingjain Posts: 6Members
    berserk wrote:

Berserk I would be willing to pay for an app on Panasonic as well. Seems to be there are two of us willing to pay. Any chance you could start developing?
  • SuodoSuodo Posts: 40Members ✭✭
    For anyone interested in developing a Plex client the developer site is here along with an introduction to the basics, there appears to be a basic and premium developer account and the difference is outlined here, premium gets you tech support and fast track QA. So even if you have a free account there should hopefully be nothing stopping Plex from passing.

One reason to be keen on this is Panasonic have finally got their act together and the 2012 TV/BD devices have very good codec support, almost all the major media formats are supported unlike the 2011 series. A NAS running Plex media server would be an ideal pairing as you wouldn't need transcoding in most cases.

Formats supported under 2012 products;
    Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SP/ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), VC-1, MJPEG
    Audio: AAC HE/LC, MP3, WMA, WMA Pro, Flac (24-bit), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, DTS(core), LPCM/APCM, MPEG Audio
    Containers: mts, m2ts, mov, qt, mod, avi, divx, mkv, asf, wmv, f4v, m4v, mp4, flv, 3gp, 3g2, mpg, mpeg, vob, vro, tp, trs, ts, mp3, m4a, wma, flac
    Subtitles: srt, sub, txt
  • hd1080hd1080 Plex for Samsung Moderator Posts: 1,105Members ✭✭
    Suodo wrote:

For anyone interested in developing a Plex client the developer site is here along with an introduction to the basics, there appears to be a basic and premium developer account and the difference is outlined here, premium gets you tech support and fast track QA. So even if you have a free account there should hopefully be nothing stopping Plex from passing.

One reason to be keen on this is Panasonic have finally got their act together and the 2012 TV/BD devices have very good codec support, almost all the major media formats are supported unlike the 2011 series. A NAS running Plex media server would be an ideal pairing as you wouldn't need transcoding in most cases.

Formats supported under 2012 products;
    Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SP/ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), VC-1, MJPEG
    Audio: AAC HE/LC, MP3, WMA, WMA Pro, Flac (24-bit), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, DTS(core), LPCM/APCM, MPEG Audio
    Containers: mts, m2ts, mov, qt, mod, avi, divx, mkv, asf, wmv, f4v, m4v, mp4, flv, 3gp, 3g2, mpg, mpeg, vob, vro, tp, trs, ts, mp3, m4a, wma, flac
    Subtitles: srt, sub, txt

There is no free account
    1) Basic $129
    2) Premium $599

and back in the day when I wrote them some question they told me that those codecs are only supported via local content like from an USB HDD. When you want to stream things they only support H.264 + AAC.
  • SuodoSuodo Posts: 40Members ✭✭
    hd1080 wrote:

There is no free account
    1) Basic $129
    2) Premium $599

and back in the day when I wrote them some question they told me that those codecs are only supported via local content like from an USB HDD. When you want to stream things they only support H.264 + AAC.

That's a bummer there's no free option.

Yeah I knew about the problems with codecs on Panasonic 2010/2011 products being crippled that way, I hoping the the 2012 are different as the mention support for all those formats through DLNA in the fine print of the manual.
  • mattydmattyd Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I currently only own one Panasonic smart tv. My parents own 3 compatible Panasonic Viera Connect devices at their house 80km away from me. So I am also quite keen to get an App onto the Panasonic network for Plex client use.

To assist in achieving that I just signed up for the free Viera Connect account. This access gives full view of Developer Technology Center, including tutorials, examples and the full list of APIs. Panasonic VieraConnect apps are written in JavaScript, and amongst other things have the ability to utilise 3D graphics. Imagine browsing your movie and DVD images with a 3D interface. Neat (and over the top).

The free access DOES NOT allow someone to submit an application. BUT, it does allow them 180 days access to the VieraConnect Developers website. It also gives instructions on how to set up a test/development system at home. This involves installing the VeiraConnect Developers Application from the normal Panasonic market. Then you can use a computer on your home network to serve the application to TV. The computer must have an APACHE webserver installed to serve the code to the television for each iteration of testing.

So with the free access you have complete instructions on how to begin development. Someone (maybe me, but unlikely), could then almost complete the application in their own development environment. You can also pass it around to other PLEX users to test (each of them would need to have an identical development environment set up and have the Developers Application installed on the TV).

I hope the above makes sense to readers.

Matt
  • Enzo01Enzo01 Posts: 34Members
    Wow if this came to fruition it'd be nuts. lol. Viera sets have long been quality stuff, their smart tv stuff is solid too, so I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that would throw their sets over the top for functionality. I have one and I was impressed when it updated itself and then had hulu plus on it. This is on a 2011 model. Woah, and being able to use the same remote =O. Haha. I'd donate if I had to get this out faster =P.
  • Enzo01Enzo01 Posts: 34Members
    I want to hear that this is possible =D.
  • Is there anyway to get in contact with Panasonic development team? Its 2012 and i love both Viera TV and
    Plex client on my iPad.
  • pertomas@uusitalo.netpertomas@uusitalo.net Posts: 3Members
    edited August 2012
    Today i use Mezzmo and it works fine. Plex also works nice with 55VT50. Panasonic userinterface in the mediaserver is simple but works. A plex client would be a nice user interface. Plex added DLNA support this year.
  • jholkojholko Posts: 4Members
    Just bumping this post: Really, really really want to see a Plex app for Veria Panasonic Smart TVS'. :)
  • teakaauteakaau Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    Ditto - I'd definitely donate if someone were to develop an app for this!
  • LarsLars Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Plllleeeease someone (with programming skills better than mine) look into int :rolleyes: