Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Browsing File system

I tried searching for this, and I think I already know the answer,but just wanted to make sure I didnt miss something.

I would like to be able to stream from my MAC/PC but with out the use of library, is there anyway to have plex configure a source to just browse the local network and then stream it to GoogleTV ? Basically I would like to be able to stream just from file system (being it remote or local to the PC/MAC)

I know exactly where my files are and I know exactly how to get to them and when I want to get to them. Is this possible with plex and googletv app ?

Comments

• paviktherinpaviktherin Posts: 210 Plex Pass
    yozh wrote:

I tried searching for this, and I think I already know the answer,but just wanted to make sure I didnt miss something.

I would like to be able to stream from my MAC/PC but with out the use of library, is there anyway to have plex configure a source to just browse the local network and then stream it to GoogleTV ? Basically I would like to be able to stream just from file system (being it remote or local to the PC/MAC)

I know exactly where my files are and I know exactly how to get to them and when I want to get to them. Is this possible with plex and googletv app ?

So if I am understanding you correctly, the answer would be no.

What it sounds like you are describing is what DLNA would provide. Plex does one better and shows you the pretty pictures and metadata so you can enjoy the media.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use the Plex Media Server and the Plex for GoogleTV client as designed?
  • yozhyozh Posts: 6

So if I am understanding you correctly, the answer would be no.

What it sounds like you are describing is what DLNA would provide. Plex does one better and shows you the pretty pictures and metadata so you can enjoy the media.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use the Plex Media Server and the Plex for GoogleTV client as designed?

I want to be able to browse folders even with out it being scanned. So lets say I loaded something in to a folder called downloads, and I want to navigate to it right away, I would like to be able to do that......
    yozh wrote:

I want to be able to browse folders even with out it being scanned. So lets say I loaded something in to a folder called downloads, and I want to navigate to it right away, I would like to be able to do that......

Yeah sorry man. No can do. However, if you put files into the downloads folder and you have that folder in the Plex Media Server to be scanned then it will get the video and you will be able to watch it that way. :)

Kind of defeats the purpose of the beauty and elegance of Plex if all you want is a file browser...

Yeah sorry man. No can do. However, if you put files into the downloads folder and you have that folder in the Plex Media Server to be scanned then it will get the video and you will be able to watch it that way. :)

Kind of defeats the purpose of the beauty and elegance of Plex if all you want is a file browser...

I dont think it defeats the purpose, but rather would make it better, the ability to browse your self would simplify things, this would be in addition to not to replace....
  • If you set the Plex Server to update the library when changes to the folders are detected, that should give you the speed you're looking for. (Although I think that's pretty much what pav said.)
    tsheeley wrote:

If you set the Plex Server to update the library when changes to the folders are detected, that should give you the speed you're looking for. (Although I think that's pretty much what pav said.)

Pretty sure you guys are missing the point. If I want to just navigate to a folder... Other ways Plex works like any other DLNA/UPNP server. I want to be able to browse thru folders, not just have a list of library...
  • edited February 2012
    yozh wrote:

Pretty sure you guys are missing the point. If I want to just navigate to a folder... Other ways Plex works like any other DLNA/UPNP server. I want to be able to browse thru folders, not just have a list of library...

Oh I fully understand what you're asking for... there isn't any question about that. The closest you'll get to that kind of feature is to go into the Movie or TV section of your Plex Client and browse "by folder" instead of All or Recently Added. (It's burried all the way at the bottom in both the Movie and TV section.)

So, using my setup as an example... I also run Tversity on my Win7 box to stream to my PS3. I had already organized my media into seperate Movie and TV folders before using Plex... if I wanted to watch the new 30 Rock for this week on my PS3, I'd go to: Tversity > Media > TV > 30 Rock > Season 6... using the Plex app via my Revue I'd go: TV > By Folder > 30 Rock > Season 6.

In the end, it's really no different since you'd still need to have the DLNA server pointed at least to the root of where your media lives. Like pav said, it kills the whole purpose of having an awesome looking front end. (Not that it's "wrong"... but it adds the question of why are you using Plex at all?)
    tsheeley wrote:

Oh I fully understand what you're asking for... there isn't any question about that. The closest you'll get to that kind of feature is to go into the Movie or TV section of your Plex Client and browse "by folder" instead of All or Recently Added. (It's burried all the way at the bottom in both the Movie and TV section.)

So, using my setup as an example... I also run Tversity on my Win7 box to stream to my PS3. I had already organized my media into seperate Movie and TV folders before using Plex... if I wanted to watch the new 30 Rock for this week on my PS3, I'd go to: Tversity > Media > TV > 30 Rock > Season 6... using the Plex app via my Revue I'd go: TV > By Folder > 30 Rock > Season 6.

In the end, it's really no different since you'd still need to have the DLNA server pointed at least to the root of where your media lives. Like pav said, it kills the whole purpose of having an awesome looking front end. (Not that it's "wrong"... but it adds the question of why are you using Plex at all?)

I`ll try that... Thanks. I guess no specific reason for using Plex, the library is nice and all
    yozh wrote:

I`ll try that... Thanks. I guess no specific reason for using Plex, the library is nice and all

Yup, I echo what tsheeley said. I understand that you would like to browse the file system in Plex just as you would with any other DLNA server. But that's the great thing about Plex, it's not just any other DLNA server, it's make your content more accessible and pretty. :)

What I was trying to say was that there is not way currently to browse the file system within Plex, you can request it as a feature and see what happens. otherwise, you can go with the suggestions we've made.

I hope you can find something that works well for you. Good Luck!

Yup, I echo what tsheeley said. I understand that you would like to browse the file system in Plex just as you would with any other DLNA server. But that's the great thing about Plex, it's not just any other DLNA server, it's make your content more accessible and pretty. :)

What I was trying to say was that there is not way currently to browse the file system within Plex, you can request it as a feature and see what happens. otherwise, you can go with the suggestions we've made.

I hope you can find something that works well for you. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies guys.
  • LaBrier FamLaBrier Fam Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I think this guy was on to something. I'm pretty new to Plex, but so far I'm encountering a problem with a few shows. Let's take Doctor Who for example. Each season (or series depending on which side of the pond you live on)since the 2005 reboot of the show has had a Christmas special in-between. I'd taken to naming the Christmas specials with the convention of "X(season number) - (Episode Title)", or for example, "X3 - Voyage of the Damned". This works well in a file browser because the episode appears after the rest of the episodes in the season providing that the list is sorted alphabetically. However, the TVDB lists these Christmas specials as, well... specials... even though they actually do fit into the continuity of the show.

The problem gets even worse with season 4, because instead of having a season 5 in 2009 during a changing out of the head writer and lead actor (if that last bit doesn't make sense just Google Doctor Who.. lol), they filmed four additional episodes and aired them as specials spread throughout the year. Those additional episodes are listed as specials by TVDB but as additional episodes to the fourth season by the BBC's own production codes. If I go by the naming conventions listed in the Media Naming Organization Guide, I'll be adding 10 episodes (six Christmas specials as well as the four additional episodes in season four) to a "Season Zero" and effectively ripping them out of the order that they are supposed to be in. As it is right now, it doesn't recognize the way I've named them, and they are missing from the library entirely!

Additionally, I could really care less about how "pretty" the front end looks if I don't have control about how media populates in a library. I wouldn't mind a meeting half-way though. Search for data on a show's root directory and get images for it and the sub-directories for each season, then just display the files in each directory the way they are named by the user with a thumbnail taken from the file itself (much like Explorer and Finder do). I think that would be a much better solution.
  • DrefsabDrefsab Posts: 5 Plex Pass
    This is something I would have liked I've been struggleing with anime not just abolute numbering but in my folders there are many files that the scanners just dont pick up. For example One Peice

so my folders are

/Media/Anime/One Piece
    ==>Episodes
    ==>OVAs
    ==>Movies
    ==>Specials

I get the episodse fine but I cant even see the Movies Specials and OVA's even though I know they are there. So a simple file browers option would have been great to get around the fact that the scanners are not picking up all the media.
  • Old thread, yes, but I'm with the OP, well, sort of.

I'm pretty new to PLEX, also, so I'm still figuring out the kinks.

Anyway, an easy to use option, in addition to the TV or Movies, would be one called Folders, to browse to for files that may not have been named correctly or picked up for whatever reason.

IMO it would make PLEX absolutely perfect... Because sometimes I'll VNC to my computer from my phone, drop a file in my media folder, and sit in my living room wondering where the file is. I then reconnect via VNC and tinker and fudge on the little screen get frustrated and get up and go sit at my computer and rename the file or un-match it from the weird thing it matched and fix it.

I either do that, or I just exit PLEX and use another player. Also, what about say a file that isn't a "real show" from an indie movie site or what have you. Those seem to always match to something completely wrong.
  • sunnyd71sunnyd71 Posts: 55 Plex Pass

Just bringing back this thread to see if this feature was ever added? Most of the time the Plex interface works great but occasionally it takes too long to scan or just can't load something correctly so would love to be able to browse by folder just like in XBMC. 

• Rolf_Rolf_ Posts: 160 Plex Pass
    sunnyd71 wrote on April 30 2014, 1:15 PM: »

Just bringing back this thread to see if this feature was ever added? Most of the time the Plex interface works great but occasionally it takes too long to scan or just can't load something correctly so would love to be able to browse by folder just like in XBMC. 

Would the 'folder view' work for you?

• sunnyd71sunnyd71 Posts: 55 Plex Pass
    It's definitely useful but it adds all subfolders in one long list rather than being able to navigate through. Also these are still loaded from the scanned files, sometimes the scanner has an issue is too slow so direct folder navigation would be a great fall back.

I've created a library set as personal media but it still seems to attempt to grab some meta data

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
  • Rolf_Rolf_ Posts: 160 Plex Pass

The server needs at least some meta data about the video or audio file. It needs this to make sure how to serve the file to the plex client. In other words, if it's  not supported by the client hardware, it will transcode to a format that is understood by the client hardware.

If you want something more like xbmc, browsing directories, you might want to take a look at ViMu player for Google TV (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gtvbox.videoplayer).

• wangmasterwangmaster Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I've been looking for this feature myself.   As someone noted, the files that plex are able to view using a folderview have to actually be files that are indexed by plex.  I have 4 libraries that are properly named and properly indexed by plex so they have what I want.  This is stuff I actually want to keep around on my library.  But there are plenty of times where i simply download one off crap and would like to toss them into a directory without naming them in a way that plex picks them up.

That said, as I thought about how useful this is, even if it was implemented, how useful would it be?.  I mean even if the plex media server did this, the applications would have to be aware of it, and from what I can tell, most of the mobile and appliance apps aren't even capable of folder view much less an arbitrary file browsing view.  So probably wouldn't be as useful as I would think since I end up just using a nfs/cifs share to watch those videos on my computer or dune player.