Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Raspberry Pi

icanlevitateicanlevitate Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
You guys see this thing?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/tech/raspberry-pi-launch/index.html

What are the chances the Plex Media Server would run on it?

Comments

• ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,475Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

You guys see this thing?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/tech/raspberry-pi-launch/index.html

What are the chances the Plex Media Server would run on it?

As the Rasberry Pi is ARM based, Plex Media Server will not run on this. PMS is only x86 supported.

/Mark
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 8,853Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    The media server could be made to run on it, but I think it would be more interesting to run the Laika client on it :)
  • dcplayadcplaya Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote:

The media server could be made to run on it, but I think it would be more interesting to run the Laika client on it :)

Exactly!! What would be awesome is have Plex client boot via LAN boot on this so I could have as many as I want in my house. A perfect solution in my eyes
  • chaos777bchaos777b Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Maybe not the media server, but just the Plex media Center/Plex client or something along the lines of the apple tv client for simply viewing content..... Or you could make something like Plex TV hardware device out of it. :)
  • Options
    yeah, i'd be soooo sick to use the pi as client for google tv/plex. then just a display and some speakers, done.
  • puithovepuithove Posts: 407Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Plex client would be awesome. Until that happens, you know XBMC is already running on it - you could probably run XBMC and use Hippojay's PleXBMC plug-in to access the Plex server.
  • jowljowl Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Mine is ordered. Have very little coding skills but happy to beta test a client.

I'd also consider my company becoming a distributor / reseller for the Raspberry Plexi :D
  • silne75silne75 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    My Raspberry Pi has just been shipped. Has anyone done any work on this yet? I'm not a coder either, but willing to test out a client if anyone has a crack at it.

Aren't Android tablets ARM? Could the Android app be modified to run on a Raspberry Pi? Happy to pay for it (again) if that's the case. (If this is a stupid question, please don't hurt me :) )
  • doughnetdoughnet Posts: 313Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've got 10 on order. I'll check if they shipped. I know for sure the Plex Media Server will not be able to run on them. Firstly, the memory on them are about 256MB from what I recall. I know for a fact that on Linux my Plex Media Server uses up approximately 1GB+ worth of memory. So I doubt it could run.
  • JiKJiK Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2012
    elan wrote:

That would be awesome! Is there any progress? I have a pi so i would be happy to help testing it :)
  • ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,475Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    JiK wrote:

That would be awesome! Is there any progress? I have a pi so i would be happy to help testing it :)

I believe it would be fair to say there are interest in this, but its currently on hold due to resources and code migration.

I'm personally looking forward to this, and have a ras-pi device on my shelf ;) If its possible I'm sure it will, happen. Though same approach ass allways, no promisses ;)

I did manage to get a CentOS client working. Why not a ras-pi client :)

/Mark
  • y0himbay0himba Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    ziggimon wrote:

I believe it would be fair to say there are interest in this, but its currently on hold due to resources and code migration.

I'm personally looking forward to this, and have a ras-pi device on my shelf ;) If its possible I'm sure it will, happen. Though same approach ass allways, no promisses ;)

I did manage to get a CentOS client working. Why not a ras-pi client :)

/Mark

I am sitting here looking at my Raspberry Pi with Fedora Remix on it. We should start a pool and donate to anyone who can create a bootable image that runs PMS and PMC. There is a version of XBMC for the Pi, however I have been unable to get it working.
  • JiKJiK Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    y0himba wrote:

I am sitting here looking at my Raspberry Pi with Fedora Remix on it. We should start a pool and donate to anyone who can create a bootable image that runs PMS and PMC. There is a version of XBMC for the Pi, however I have been unable to get it working.

I also tried to get XBMC with the plugin for plex working, with no results. It's extremely slow and won't play any file I throw at it.
    y0himba wrote:

I have no clue if this will work or not. But I packaged the ReadyNas ARM PMS to a RPM.

If your up for it, you can get it here: http://pmc.markwalker.dk/arm/plexmediaserver-0.9.6.3.143-1.arm.rpm

/Mark
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 8,853Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Mine is ordered; let's hope I find the time to do more than stare at it ;)
  • racecarrracecarr Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass
    What kind of assistance can be provided to facilitate a Linux/ARM/Raspberry PI build getting started?
    Has the existing source from github been forked to start this?
    Seems like it should be doable since iOS devices are all just ARM hardware.

-Chris C

elan wrote:

Mine is ordered; let's hope I find the time to do more than stare at it ;)
  • Options
    I used raspbmc and then installed the plex plugin. Movies played badly but tv worked alright, the interface was way to slow to navigate, and was almost pointless.

anyone have other ideas? i'll try them :)

• spawn666spawn666 Posts: 189Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2012
    It would be cool to have plex work on pi. Think the iOS plex app is the way to go. It's less heavy then the normal plex client. Would be the best match. Maybe the plex developers can help out?
    I would gladly fill my house up with pi's running plex :)
  • felixrisingfelixrising Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    Anyone having any success with this? I'd love to see the server run on it. I guess memory usage is the biggest hurdle to overcome...
  • SMARooversSMARoovers Posts: 12Members Plex Pass
    I would love to see a working Laika client on the Raspberry Pi.
    If XBMC can do it, Plex can do it too.
    It's just a matter of time and if it's worth the effort of spending a lot of time for a maybe very little userbase.
    We could start a poll to investigate how many users want a Raspberry Pi version of the Plex Media Center.