If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DLNA Support

rob151515rob151515 Posts: 5Members ✭✭
I read somewhere that DLNA support was being worked on.

Does anyone know if we'd be able to "push" content to a DLNA TV or will the TV only be able to "pull" the content from the Plex library?

It'd be awesome if I could browse the library on my iPad and select a movie to play on my DLNA TV.

Thanks to the devs for their work on this great product.

Comments

• woody1130woody1130 Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    DLNA is a server client type service meaning that content isn't stored on the device it's being played. If you mean will new content automatically show up then yes, it will.
    Plex Server - i7 920, 12GB RAM, 3X2TB, 8X4TB, Windows 7 X64 Ultimate.
    Network - Gigabit wired, AC Wireless
    Plex Clients - MacBook Pro, AppleTV, Mac Mini, Chromecast, PC Win7, iOS iPhone/iPad
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,402Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I read somewhere that DLNA support was being worked on.

Does anyone know if we'd be able to "push" content to a DLNA TV or will the TV only be able to "pull" the content from the Plex library?

It'd be awesome if I could browse the library on my iPad and select a movie to play on my DLNA TV.

Thanks to the devs for their work on this great product.

My guess is "no" since the iOS app needs a Plex client at the other end to receive the play command. I doubt this will work on a PS3 either.

However, who knows what Elan has dreamed up.

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• mfeingolmfeingol Posts: 5,091Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    The initial release of DLNA support adds to Plex Media Server the ability to act as a Digital Media Server (DMS), which can be used by Digital Media Renderers (DMRs) to play content.

The initial release of DLNA support does *not* add to any of the Plex clients the ability to act as a Digital Media Controller (DMC). However, given a DMS and a DMR, any existing DMC software can probably be used to have the two communicate with each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna
  • rob151515rob151515 Posts: 5Members ✭✭
    mfeingol wrote:

The initial release of DLNA support adds to Plex Media Server the ability to act as a Digital Media Server (DMS), which can be used by Digital Media Renderers (DMRs) to play content.

The initial release of DLNA support does *not* add to any of the Plex clients the ability to act as a Digital Media Controller (DMC). However, given a DMS and a DMR, any existing DMC software can probably be used to have the two communicate with each other.

Thankyou for clearing this up.
  • ConcreteLlamaConcreteLlama Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mfeingol wrote:

When you say plex DLNA support, do you mean plex can pick up from DLNA sources, or Plex can also serve as a DLNA server? Because that would be really useful for devices that don't support plex but do support DLNA (OK, UPnP streaming, you know what I mean).

In fact it would be really great if plex could present your library to clients as a folder structure but with "Genres", "Recently Viewed" etc as folders (well, symlinks).
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,402Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

When you say plex DLNA support, do you mean plex can pick up from DLNA sources, or Plex can also serve as a DLNA server? Because that would be really useful for devices that don't support plex but do support DLNA (OK, UPnP streaming, you know what I mean).

In fact it would be really great if plex could present your library to clients as a folder structure but with "Genres", "Recently Viewed" etc as folders (well, symlinks).

The PMS will be a server so devices such as the PS3 can see your library structure.

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• rucknrunrucknrun Posts: 120Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The PMS will be a server so devices such as the PS3 can see your library structure.

I am sure this has been posted before but here is a link to a video that demos plexx on the ps3. I can't wait. Plex works great with my iOS devices and my Roku. If I could get it working on my Playstations I will have one media server to rule them all!

http://gigaom.com/video/plex-dlna-ps3/
  • PauldbPauldb Posts: 22Members
    A good question would be : Will we be able to "Push" to any dlna renderers ? For example : ive got my Plex server running on m'y computer, and from my iPhone, with the plex app for ios, i list my movies and select it to play on the dlna media renderer, in my case it would be my TV.. Would that be possible ? It'd be an awesome feature !
    Pauldb wrote:

A good question would be : Will we be able to "Push" to any dlna renderers ? For example : ive got my Plex server running on m'y computer, and from my iPhone, with the plex app for ios, i list my movies and select it to play on the dlna media renderer, in my case it would be my TV.. Would that be possible ? It'd be an awesome feature !

How is that different then just using your phone as a remote? Or different than adding a video to your queue. Sounds like airplay.
  • PauldbPauldb Posts: 22Members
    For Using your phone as a Remote you must have a Plex Media Center running, which means that you need to have your computer connected to your TV. Which is not always possible. But doing the way i said your TV only need to be connected to the same local network, your iPhone would just become an intermediary asking your Plex Server yo "push" content to any media renderer (in this case the TV). Unfortunately not all media renderers are capable of being "pushed", most can only "pull" from a server.
    And this would also make it possible to "push" a file (movie, serie, music, photo..) to various DLNA Media Renderers(assuming they all have the ability to be "pushed").
    And that would be so amazing !
  • jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Pushing to DLNA media renderers will not be supported in the first release, sorry. It's definitely an interesting idea, but I can't comment on if/when we'll attempt to add it.
    jam wrote:

Pushing to DLNA media renderers will not be supported in the first release, sorry. It's definitely an interesting idea, but I can't comment on if/when we'll attempt to add it.

Hoping the release comes out soon! If you guys need testers I would be willing to help.
  • MGMMGM Posts: 9Members
    DMC for the plex app would be the KILLER feature!

Several dlna ios apps already have this feature, they just don't look so good and stylish like plex and work not as flawlessly!

Just imagine you have a plex server, iphone/ipad and several dlna clients, spread over your house.

The Server is running where no sun will ever shine, so you don't have to care about the WAF or noise. No need to connect it to your TV.
    During watching tv, you browse your library on the ipad/phone, select a movie and it plays on the TV in the living room.
    You decide to listen to music... you browse your library on the ipad/phone and play your music on your av receiver, wifi radio in the kitchen, bathroom, garden...
    While media is playing, you can still surf the net/play/write/work on your ipad/phone, cause it has nothing else to do.

You are in a second/third/... room, browse your media and it plays in that room, without the need for a second/third/... HTPC there.

For me, this 'networking' that is the main feature behind dlna.

At the moment i am exactly doing this with twonky running on a NAS. I use 8player on ipad/phone and have 2 Samsung D series + Pionner vx921 receiver.
    BUT not with the look and feel and all this (very) cool metadata info! Just filenames and maybe coverart.
    Transcoding like plex does? I have been dreaming of that.

Seriously, how do i get this feature on the agenda?
    This has to be implemented... ;)
  • LasermacheteLasermachete Posts: 1Members

Cheers @all,

i know this thread is a few days old, but anyway this seems to be the best place out on the web to tell my story ;)

i have to totally support MGM's opinion and i don't really know why there can't be found any efforts to get this kind of solution to work.

in the last few days i've been around in serveral discussion boards and penetrated google with my wish, to have a nice interface of my media library on my tablet, where ich can browse my content, have additional information about my movies like trailers, imdb rating, actors and so on AND can choose my dlna player devices like my livingroom TV to play that stuff.

Most of the discussion threads end up with "why do you need this, you can browse your DLNA library directly from your TV" ... yes ... sure i can ... but that doesn't come even close to the nice interface of the plex app for example. 

I have to admit that i'm in the lucky situation of having an 2012 LG TV which natively has an plex client installed. that comes close to what i'm looking for. but it would be even cooler to navigate with my ipad and to push the content to the tv. advantages:

• you don't have to navigate with the tv remote (which is a little frustration if you have a large library)
    • you don't have to switch the input channel cause dlna push starts immediatly
    • you don't need a plex client on your tv for the cool interface
    • you can start watching a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom (using the cool integrated feature "continue playing")

As MGM already mentioned, with the DLNA DMC option, the plex app would be the coolest thing on earth for all multimedia enthusiastic people - like me.

I really don't know why this feature isn't already implemented in the app. There are tons of apps for both android and ios which have this option, but the interface is always like browsing through folders ....

I have to admin that i haven't purchased the app, because of what i have red, the DMC feature is definitely not integrated an the moment. 

So pleeeeaaassse, dear plex developers, integrate that feature or at least let me know, what the problem is with that .... 

thanks in advance

• netrionnetrion Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

yea will love to see this 2 

• RoendiRoendi Posts: 130Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am waiting to for this feature :wacko:

• bullis.andrewbullis.andrew Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    Lasermachete wrote on March 17 2013, 11:52 AM: »

Most of the discussion threads end up with "why do you need this, you can browse your DLNA library directly from your TV" ... yes ... sure i can ... but that doesn't come even close to the nice interface of the plex app for example. 

I have to admit that i'm in the lucky situation of having an 2012 LG TV which natively has an plex client installed. that comes close to what i'm looking for. but it would be even cooler to navigate with my ipad and to push the content to the tv. advantages:

• you don't have to navigate with the tv remote (which is a little frustration if you have a large library)
    • you don't have to switch the input channel cause dlna push starts immediatly
    • you don't need a plex client on your tv for the cool interface
    • you can start watching a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom (using the cool integrated feature "continue playing")

So much this!!

Plex Developers I don't know why you continue to ignore proper implementation of this feature!

All of these points are valid and deserving, and would certainly propel Plex to a level I'd be comfortable with calling "Perfect". But until then, the app will always fall short of perfection.

• bullis.andrewbullis.andrew Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    jam wrote on March 20 2012, 4:27 PM: »

Can you comment now, over a year later?

• johnnysockojohnnysocko Posts: 38Members ✭✭
    edited October 2013

Long time Plex user - 2 years on any software seems to be an eternity these days.  It is used daily, multiple times a day, probably in reality is the most used program in the house, as long as we don't consider WinOS a program.  Would be a close call-only thing else in contention is Chrome browser.

So, I'm drawn to the topic, because I'm in the camp that this would be a cool feature.  I don't have much interest in pushing movies, really, but I do have an interest in pushing a music library playlist.  That would be the bomb.  Having centralized my library on mediamonkey, and having realized I also cannot push content from mediamonkey, the race is on to see who gets my business first.

Yes, I can just have a client read a server playlist, which I hate to create and manage, and play that.  Okay.  I don't feel like it.  And, in general, DLNA clients browsing music to play is also nothing I want to waste time on.

I like media monkeys DJ playlist creation ability, and would like to be able to stream that from mm to a DLNA renderer on my Google TV, which is now hooked up to my new Bose home theater.  So, computer -> google tv -> bose is my target system.

I don't care if it is silly.  It should be supported.  Isn't that more or less what apple air and or apple tv is doing?

UPDATE: well, this is a decent intermediate step.  Turns out using bubbleupnp you CAN link the plex or other DLNA MS to the GTV client renderer.  I couldn't get that to work the other night, but perhaps because I was trying to stream FLAC files.  So, my android tablet can control what gets served up from the Plex server to the Google TV renderer after all.  Even if not a true push, very nice middle ground.

• AlanPitkinAlanPitkin Posts: 1Members
    I agree with the posts above. I have been using bubbleupnp and google music as a workaround with the PLEX server to get music to my basement, living room and outside. I have been using the new PLEX cast too feature from my android to my Roku just recently which works well but doesn't have all the options that the other apps have i.e. volume control, insta mix ect and you also need to have the app running. Plex thru DLNA to my Oppo Blue ray (Renderer) would be ideal. I can then turn all my equipment on my network and send my PLEX media both music and video.