Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media server will not update

VaskervilleVaskerville Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
It had been working well for some time and then one day it would no longer auto update when new files were added.

I was able, for a time, to push the update button in the lower right of the interface but now even this doesn't work. It simply says that it's updated immediately after we push it. I've tried using alt and cmd, etc., while pushing that button too.

I believe we need to delete a preference file but I can't find the thread around here which specifies which one - any advice on this?

Thanks

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭

It had been working well for some time and then one day it would no longer auto update when new files were added.

I was able, for a time, to push the update button in the lower right of the interface but now even this doesn't work. It simply says that it's updated immediately after we push it. I've tried using alt and cmd, etc., while pushing that button too.

I believe we need to delete a preference file but I can't find the thread around here which specifies which one - any advice on this?

Thanks

Hi,

Try doing a DEEP scan (hold down ALT/OPTION) whilst clicking the refresh icon.

The default option of a turbo scan will only scan folders where the last access time has changed, if your media is on a drobo/external disk or something else OSX may not be updating the directory access times. A deep scan will scan everything regardless of access times.
  • VaskervilleVaskerville Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Trudge wrote:

Hi,

Try doing a DEEP scan (hold down ALT/OPTION) whilst clicking the refresh icon.

The default option of a turbo scan will only scan folders where the last access time has changed, if your media is on a drobo/external disk or something else OSX may not be updating the directory access times. A deep scan will scan everything regardless of access times.

I know about deep scanning - and that doesn't work either.

I know about deep scanning - and that doesn't work either.

Restart your PMS, run a deep scan, then upload your Plex Media Server.log and Plex Media Scanner.log

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_TipsTricks#Plex_Log_Files
    edited April 2012
    When I do a deep scan this is all I get:

j4/16/12 1:22:47 PM [0x0-0xfc0fc].com.plexapp.plexmediaserver[1745] * Refreshing Louis Ck Beacon 800x448

This is in the film folder. I'm trying to get this out of the database but it won't work - the file has been moved to another location.

Does this mean it's failing somehow on this file?

And how can I get this file out of the database - I've followed the wiki instructions and it doesn't work.

This is really frustrating...
    For the TV folder I rebuilt things - I deleted the TV section from the Media Manager and then re-added it. Not my favorite thing to do but it got things rolling again.

After reading a ton of threads around here on this problem - I moved the film I mentioned above into a folder with the same name and things started working again. So, it does appear that it did not like that title not being inside of a folder.

Now, automatic updates are still not working but I'm content enough with things as they are for the moment.
    No, it worked once but not again. This is very annoying because the movie, which was not a real movie, it not matched. Which means, I can't "unmatch" it and throw it away. Even if I take the folder out of the Films folder the Plex database still hangs on to it - and this is killing the update process for everything else.

There is NO WAY to delete the file from the Plex database - nothing works (I've followed the FAQ and all the other suggestions around the forum I could find).

No, it worked once but not again. This is very annoying because the movie, which was not a real movie, it not matched. Which means, I can't "unmatch" it and throw it away. Even if I take the folder out of the Films folder the Plex database still hangs on to it - and this is killing the update process for everything else.

There is NO WAY to delete the file from the Plex database - nothing works (I've followed the FAQ and all the other suggestions around the forum I could find).

still happy to go through your logs.....
    I posted the pertinent log above - it was clearly hanging/crashing on that one film. But, it's not a real film (and it's not a tv show either), so it was a problem as I explained above.

So, I did the same as I did with the TV section, which I really did not want to do because the most recently added film queue was really useful for us - I deleted the Louis CK vid from films, deleted the Film section from the Media Manager, and then re-added and re-indexed it. Apparently, let's hope for good, it works again.

Fingers crossed... ;)
  • diasleodiasleo Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    I seam to have a similar problem.

My TV Shows are stored in two different folders. One is on my Desktop, and other is on my Drobo RAID.

I had all 7 seasons of It's Always sunny on Philadelphia TV Show stored on my desktop folder. And it was correctly found, scanned and watched there. unfortunately I ran out of space on my local Macintosh HD, and so was forced to move this specific TV series from my Mac internal drive, to my External Drobo.

The thing is, after I moved the files, PMS was able to find the TV Show (just as so many others already there). But, instead of finding all episodes, from all seasons, it just found 1 episode per season.

They are all arranged as Volumes/Drobo/TV Shoes/It's Always sunny on Philadelphia/Season 1 and so forth. It must be right, because PMS was able to find them when they were on a desktop folder.

I've already re-scaned, Deep scanned 2x, moved the series out, trashed it, moved it back to PMS and re-scanned, deep scanned and it always find just 1 file per season.

What am I missing??

I've attached my scan log and the screen showing just 1 episode per season (search for Philadelphia on the log and you will find it)

Thanks

Leonardo Dias
  • willgonzwillgonz Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I am having the problem after updating to Version 0.9.6.3.140-9c9f5ce.
    I can't do an update via "/Users/admin/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app/Contents/MacOS/Plex Media Scanner" -c 2 -s -r either.

If it tries via the Media Manager it hangs.

If I try via http://10.0.1.3:32400/library/sections/2/refresh it hangs as well.
  • Chris CChris C Plex Employee Posts: 11,644Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    willgonz wrote:

I am having the problem after updating to Version 0.9.6.3.140-9c9f5ce.
    I can't do an update via "/Users/admin/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app/Contents/MacOS/Plex Media Scanner" -c 2 -s -r either.

If it tries via the Media Manager it hangs.

If I try via http://10.0.1.3:32400/library/sections/2/refresh it hangs as well.

I'd recommend taking a look at the "Plex Media Scanner.log" file (log info linked in my signature). It will likely indicate what was going on when the scan died/hung.

If it always happens with the same file, try moving that file out of your content section and see if things work. If you verify that it's a particular file causing the issue, then it might be useful to get a copy of that file for testing purposes for the devs. You could upload it to somewhere such as Dropbox.com and share the link.
  • Chris CChris C Plex Employee Posts: 11,644Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited June 2012
    @diaslio

Based on your scanner log, it looks like you're running normal/Turbo scans of your content. Can you try doing a Deep Scan of your TV section instead and see if that makes a difference? If it doesn't, please zip up and attach the new "Plex Media Scanner.log" file.
  • plexertplexert Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I seem to have the same problem, I updated the Mac to Mountain Lion (Fresh Install) and then placed a saved copy of my PMS files (hours of editing time involved in the library...) back, together with the original PMS 9.6.7 which I updated to PMS 9.6.9 once everything seemed to work.
    Then I wanted to add some new media to TV Shows and Movies however despite the turbo scan, deep scan and SHIFT click options PMS did not make any new files appear in the Media Manager nor mark deleted files as missing...bummer.
    I downgraded to PMS 9.6.7 in the hope that it was a problem with the latest PMS, to no avail however.

Playing around I could only get the new files to appear if I added a fresh section and rescanned everything, but only the first time around anything added after that again will not be picked up by the PMS as above. It seems the only way now to make new items show is to re-add the section manually everytime which is ok for the sections which autoscan completely however clearly not for the sections in which I spent ages to manually change/add metadata.

It is clear that through these surprising problems after using Plex for so many years (since 2009) it would be very useful to have a simple way of making an autobackup of the manually added text/data/posters etc.

Apart from this does anyone have the tip of the day to solve this scanning problem?

Regards,

Dreamwolf
    Ok, problem solved in Application support I deleted the Plex folder, in the Application Support/Plex Media Server the Plug-ins folder and in preferences the PMS preference list, then restarted the PMS and now it was updating again as normal...pfffewww that saved me a lot of work on doing a clean install...
  • Ikke123Ikke123 Posts: 4Members
    Dreamwolf wrote:

I seem to have the same problem, I updated the Mac to Mountain Lion (Fresh Install) and then placed a saved copy of my PMS files (hours of editing time involved in the library...) back, together with the original PMS 9.6.7 which I updated to PMS 9.6.9 once everything seemed to work.
    Then I wanted to add some new media to TV Shows and Movies however despite the turbo scan, deep scan and SHIFT click options PMS did not make any new files appear in the Media Manager nor mark deleted files as missing...bummer.
    I downgraded to PMS 9.6.7 in the hope that it was a problem with the latest PMS, to no avail however.

Playing around I could only get the new files to appear if I added a fresh section and rescanned everything, but only the first time around anything added after that again will not be picked up by the PMS as above. It seems the only way now to make new items show is to re-add the section manually everytime which is ok for the sections which autoscan completely however clearly not for the sections in which I spent ages to manually change/add metadata.

It is clear that through these surprising problems after using Plex for so many years (since 2009) it would be very useful to have a simple way of making an autobackup of the manually added text/data/posters etc.

Apart from this does anyone have the tip of the day to solve this scanning problem?

Regards,

Dreamwolf

Don't know if I had the same problem but I even made a post today related to it...but found a solution a bit later.
    Had it twice so far that when I added a new movie to the library it showed up during the update scan, but when it is looking for the metadata, posters,etc a bit later on it dissapeared again from my library.
    First time I also created a new library and redo everything on each movie (don't like the abbundance of genres they add on a movie so only use a few of them).
    But now I really did not want to start over so looked and tried a lot first.
    See my post for more details, but in short when I changed the language for the default freebase primary metadata scanner it recognised the file again and found the data.
    Strange thing was that it was an american movie and the language is set to english by default?
    Can try this and change the text it adds manually by copying it from IMDB or so.
    Did not try to change the language to english again and rescan...

Ps might be you need to alter the name of the file first (capital to normal or visa versa) before it so it will detect the file again during the update!
  • Ikke123Ikke123 Posts: 4Members
    Ps it will not change the descriptions for all your movies to that new one, only for the new movies it detects at that point.
    For me it is not an issue since i speak both, only a bit sloppy in the library (but you can always get it from the internet and paste it over the other language)

Also changed it back to english afterwards, but so far did not try to add a new movie to see if it works normal again.
  • jdloftisjdloftis Posts: 19Members ✭✭
    Dreamwolf wrote:

Ok, problem solved in Application support I deleted the Plex folder, in the Application Support/Plex Media Server the Plug-ins folder and in preferences the PMS preference list, then restarted the PMS and now it was updating again as normal...pfffewww that saved me a lot of work on doing a clean install...

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you deleted. Can you be a little more specific about what file(s) you deleted? And what path? If I understand correctly, you deleted a .plist file at this path: Application Support>Plex Media Server>Plug-ins>Preferences.
    Tooth wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you deleted. Can you be a little more specific about what file(s) you deleted? And what path? If I understand correctly, you deleted a .plist file at this path: Application Support>Plex Media Server>Plug-ins>Preferences.

Hi Tooth,

First shut down Plex Client and the Plex Media Server.

In finder select 'Go to folder' and type ~/library, press return. This will take you to the Mac library folder where the Application Support Folder is located. In that folder you should see a 'Plex' folder and a Plex Media Server' folder, I first deleted the 'PLEX' folder entirely (delete to Apple bin just in case...) then inside the 'Plex Media Server' folder delete the 'Plug-ins' folder.
    After this go 1 step back to the library folder and you will find the 'Preferences' folder, find and delete the 'com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist' file.

Restart the Plex Media Server and hopefully you will have a functioning system again! Mine has been working perfectly normal since without having to re-enter data manually.

Good luck!
  • jdloftisjdloftis Posts: 19Members ✭✭
    Plex has been working flawlessly for me for over a year now. But suddenly, in the last few weeks, it doesn't recognize when new TV shows are added to my TV folder.

Here's my setup: I've got my TV files stored on an external hard drive (formatted as Mac OS Extended [Journaled]) which is connected to my Mac Mini via FW800. Both the Plex Media Server and Plex client sit on the Mac Mini. I've set the PMS to update the library when changes to my TV folder are detected, but suddenly it stopped recognizing new TV shows being added to my TV folder.

Here an example of what I've noticed: When a new episode of The Colbert Report is added to the Colbert Report folder (/Volumes/TVShows/Colbert Report), the "date modified" time stamp on the Colbert folder updates correctly. However, the "date modified" time stamp on the parent directory that Plex is watching for changes ("TVShows") doesn't change. I think this might be why PMS isn't updating my library. I think PMS is looking at the TVShows folder and sees that the time stamp hasn't changed, so it thinks that no new shows have been added.

Am I on the right track? If so, any ideas how I can correct this?
    Tooth wrote:

Plex has been working flawlessly for me for over a year now. But suddenly, in the last few weeks, it doesn't recognize when new TV shows are added to my TV folder.

Here's my setup: I've got my TV files stored on an external hard drive (formatted as Mac OS Extended [Journaled]) which is connected to my Mac Mini via FW800. Both the Plex Media Server and Plex client sit on the Mac Mini. I've set the PMS to update the library when changes to my TV folder are detected, but suddenly it stopped recognizing new TV shows being added to my TV folder.

Here an example of what I've noticed: When a new episode of The Colbert Report is added to the Colbert Report folder (/Volumes/TVShows/Colbert Report), the "date modified" time stamp on the Colbert folder updates correctly. However, the "date modified" time stamp on the parent directory that Plex is watching for changes ("TVShows") doesn't change. I think this might be why PMS isn't updating my library. I think PMS is looking at the TVShows folder and sees that the time stamp hasn't changed, so it thinks that no new shows have been added.

Am I on the right track? If so, any ideas how I can correct this?

Hi,

Easiest way to tell if this is the cause, do a turbo scan, check if anything has been picked up. The, run a deep scan and see if anything has been picked up.

If the Deep Scan found new stuff, but the turbo scan didn't - then it is the dates not updating causing your issue.

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_MediaManager#Manually_Refreshing_Sections