Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Streaming DVD formats

mickdalymickdaly Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass
I am a former Sagetv user with a big library of movies, mostly Handbrake-ripped DVDs on my server.

When I stumbled over Plex (via my Roku player), I was excited. Set Plex Media Server up on my server, Plex app on my Roku, pointed it to my library and ...

discovered that Plex does not stream DVD formats - what use is that?!

read about MakeMkv Automator, but found out it's for Macs only!

Is there any hope or help out there?

Comments

• stormeriderstormerider Posts: 758Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    MakeMKV works under windows as well. The automator might not, however.

There's always the batch processing feature of Handbrake; you can use it to convert them to MP4-- that's the format best supported by the Roku; PMS can transform most formats, but the Roku is very, very picky about its specifications as to what it will play correctly. MP4s with too many reference frames will be problematic, MKVs that aren't compatible can crash the Roku, etc. All in all, converting to MP4 has been the most stable format for Roku playback we've found.
  • nerpissadnerpissad Plex Ninja Posts: 1,502Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    hi mickdaly,

you say you've ripped your DVD's with handbrake. hasn't that converted the DVD's into mp4 files instead of VIDEO_TS or .iso's? it's only streaming VIDEO_TS and in most cases .iso's that is not supported. most, if not all, other formats should work just fine.
  • mickdalymickdaly Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass
    edited April 2012

MakeMKV works under windows as well. The automator might not, however.

There's always the batch processing feature of Handbrake; you can use it to convert them to MP4-- that's the format best supported by the Roku; PMS can transform most formats, but the Roku is very, very picky about its specifications as to what it will play correctly. MP4s with too many reference frames will be problematic, MKVs that aren't compatible can crash the Roku, etc. All in all, converting to MP4 has been the most stable format for Roku playback we've found.

I misspoke - I used AnyDVD to rip them. Won't mp4 versions lose a lot of the resolution I have with my DVD formats?
  • mickdalymickdaly Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass
    edited April 2012
    nerpissad wrote:

hi mickdaly,

you say you've ripped your DVD's with handbrake. hasn't that converted the DVD's into mp4 files instead of VIDEO_TS or .iso's? it's only streaming VIDEO_TS and in most cases .iso's that is not supported. most, if not all, other formats should work just fine.

I chose to have AnyDVD convert to DVD formats to preserve the quality.
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    mickdaly wrote:

I chose to have AnyDVD convert to DVD formats to preserve the quality.

Using something like MakeMKV will not change the audio/video in any way - so also no change in quality, You will loose menus but you will also end up with a streamable MKV format.
  • dzats2040@yahoo.comdzats2040@yahoo.com Posts: 5Members
    AnyDVD is not a ripping software. It only removes copyright DVD protection, so the ripping software can actually do its job.
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    Danny Plex wrote:

AnyDVD is not a ripping software. It only removes copyright DVD protection, so the ripping software can actually do its job.

AnyDVD does rip to either an .iso or Video_TS structure neither of which are supported by Plex for streaming.