Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server IP address in Windows?

ejbSFejbSF Posts: 2Members
Unfortunately, discovery may not work, depending on your network. That's ok, you can always add the server manually by going to Preferences -> Plex Media Servers -> Add Server Manually. On that screen, enter the IP address of the Plex Media Server.

I've installed Plex Media Server on a Win 7 system. When I go to Roku's Plex channel, it is not able to discover the Plex Server, so I need to add it manually, as suggested in the above how-to post. Where/how do I find the Plex MS IP address?

Any help is appreciated.

Ed

Comments

• jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Posts: 2,925Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    ejbSF wrote:

I've installed Plex Media Server on a Win 7 system. When I go to Roku's Plex channel, it is not able to discover the Plex Server, so I need to add it manually, as suggested in the above how-to post. Where/how do I find the Plex MS IP address?

Any help is appreciated.

Ed

on your windows box that is running pms, click start then run, type cmd, hit enter, then type ipconfig, hit enter, it will return a list of devices, look for one that has a 192.x.x.x. or maybe even a 10.x.x.x that will be your PMS IP.
  • ejbSFejbSF Posts: 2Members

on your windows box that is running pms, click start then run, type cmd, hit enter, then type ipconfig, hit enter, it will return a list of devices, look for one that has a 192.x.x.x. or maybe even a 10.x.x.x that will be your PMS IP.

Thanks. All works fine.
    Ed
  • jessicagjessicag Posts: 1Members
    I know this sounds stupid, but what is a windows box?
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 758Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    jessicag wrote:

I know this sounds stupid, but what is a windows box?

"box" is IT slang for machine or computer. So in this case, a computer that runs Microsoft Windows.
  • aussie6484aussie6484 Posts: 1Members
    somewhat related. how do i find the plex media server ip address on mac so i can manually enter it on my roku?
  • schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,787Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    aussie6484 wrote:

somewhat related. how do i find the plex media server ip address on mac so i can manually enter it on my roku?

A handful of ways:

• System Preferences -> Network. For each connection, the Status will show something like "Connected" followed by "Wi-Fi is connected to NETWORK and has the IP address x.x.x.x".
    • Run ifconfig in Terminal
    • In a browser on that Mac, go to http://localhost:32400/servers As long as your PMS is running, it'll show you some XML that includes something like
      address="x.x.x.x"

• hirayuhirayu Posts: 3Members
    aussie6484 wrote:

You can find your IP address from the Mac System

From the Apple menu pull down “System Preferences”

Click on the “Network” preference pane

Your IP address will be visible to the right

You can also find your external ip address by just visit the site Ip-Details.com B)