Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Server & Google Chrome

smischsmisch Posts: 18Members
I'm having some issues with the refresh button scanning my folder but not seeing new video that I have added. And also it doesn't seem to like opening in Chrome? I'm in the set up stage but it's working a but sluggish right now

My first question is which is the best browser for the Plex Media Server to open in? It currently opens in my default browser (chrome) running on Windows7. Does anyone know if it is more compatible, reliable or faster when working with IE or Firefox?

Shaun

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    smisch wrote:

I'm having some issues with the refresh button scanning my folder but not seeing new video that I have added. And also it doesn't seem to like opening in Chrome? I'm in the set up stage but it's working a but sluggish right now

My first question is which is the best browser for the Plex Media Server to open in? It currently opens in my default browser (chrome) running on Windows7. Does anyone know if it is more compatible, reliable or faster when working with IE or Firefox?

Shaun

Hi,

Try running a deep scan to detect the new media
    http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_MediaManager#Manually_Refreshing_Sections

Chrome is generally the best, check to see that you don't have any extensions/addons running that the Media Manager may not like.
  • smischsmisch Posts: 18Members
    Thanks for the tips. I have uninstalled the only 2 extensions that I had (bit defender and Skype). I ran a deep scan and it's still not seeing anything new that I have added and I've added video that it previous recognized just to make it pick something up.

Any other Chrome settings that I should tweak?
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    smisch wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I have uninstalled the only 2 extensions that I had (bit defender and Skype). I ran a deep scan and it's still not seeing anything new that I have added and I've added video that it previous recognized just to make it pick something up.

Try this;
    - Restart PMS
    - Run a deep scan
    - Upload your Plex Media Server.log and Plex Media Scanner.log and let us know which file it was you are trying to add
    http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_TipsTricks#Plex_Log_Files

Any other Chrome settings that I should tweak?

Try running incognito, if that gives no better result, then you could try firefox just to compare the 2.
    I tried Firefox and it see's the exact same video as Chrome. It must be the codec or format of my video? What is the optimal format and codec for PMS working with ROKU?
    Just to conclude, for anyone reading with a similar problem... The reason that my content was not appearing was the titles of the files. I checked TVDB for the correct info and then followed the naming guide and the video was found
  • mauirixxxmauirixxx Posts: 155Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    As far as "running slow" is concerned, a bunch of users have pretty much confirmed that IE9 is actually the "better" browser to use for managing Plex (and man does it pain me to say that), which I've confirmed in my own use - this only applies to the Windows version though - the Linux version has no such lag when being managed.
  • mbprosmbpros Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I actually have found with IE9 if I do a deep scan I do not have progress notification like I do with Firefox or Chrome.  I'm not sure if there is some problem with my IE (or my computer) as I definitely see progress notifications when doing Deep Scan in Firefox or Chrome.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Steve