If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Prevent Ubuntu 12.04 from going to sleep

claudius139claudius139 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
I installed PMS on Ubuntu 12.04, everything is working perfectly but I have a problem I cannot fix (after hours of searching), the fact that I want my Ubuntu server to go to sleep after an hour, so far so good, but when I use a Plex client, Ubuntu doesn't recognize that as activity and It's going to sleep in the middle of a movie watching session.

Can somebody help me find a solution to prevent Ubuntu from going to sleep when there is activity on a samba share?

Thank you

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,395Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    It's likely that "sleep prevention" hasn't been implemented for Linux yet, we'll get to it in a future release.

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• claudius139claudius139 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Wow! quick answer! Thank you Elan! and always loved Plex by the way, It's installed everywhere around the house, Ipad, Iphone, Apple TV 2, Mini Mac and iMac!

I understand that this is something that can be add to PMS in the future and I appreciate that (let's hope parental control will be there too! ;-)) but are you telling me that you think there is no possible in Ubuntu, with a script maybe, to fix that?

Actually I'm not a linux expert so I will take your word for it believe me!

Thanks again
  • whetstonewhetstone Posts: 36Members ✭✭

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but was sleep prevention ever implemented for Linux? I couldn't find any subsequent reference to this. Thanks.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,851Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Sleep prevention? Simply turn off power management and your system will not sleep.

If you are referring to PMS not letting the host go to sleep, it does not operate that way. PMS routinely runs tasks in the background and writes to the log files. These activities require the disks be spinning.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

@ChuckPA said:
    Sleep prevention? Simply turn off power management and your system will not sleep.

Energy consumption is a priority in my home, and although I built my system to be highly efficient, it goes against my grain to leave it on 24/7. As it stands now, whenever my wife wants to watch a Plex movie on Roku, she has to find me (or wake me up) if I'm not at my desk so I can turn off power management (she's intimidated by my computer). It would be great if she could just hit the space bar to wake it up, then Plex would keep it awake as long as it's serving content.

If you are referring to PMS not letting the host go to sleep, it does not operate that way.

I don't understand how to reconcile that with Elan's response. It seems reasonable that it could operate that way and his comment certainly indicates that was the intention, at least in 2012.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,851Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

It's a 5 year old statement. Back then, yes it was possible. Since then , No.

If you want the system to sleep and be woken by the spacebar, your only viable means is Windows. Linux isn't going to do it for you.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Not what I wanted to hear, but I always appreciate clarity. Thanks!

I'm new to Linux, but I imagine I can use a script in LInux, triggered by a desktop widget, that would reset the power management scheme.

If you're new to Linux, I very strongly update. Ubuntu 12 is ancient. Ubuntu 16 is extremely popular and stable. Ubuntu 17 is new and has a few kinks in it.

I don't know how much longer Ubuntu 12 can be supported (run time library age becomes problematic) . It's already 5 years old.

Useful links

edited October 12

The original poster mentioned Ubuntu 12.04, but when posted, that was latest version. I'm running 16.04 (Mint 18.2/Xfce, Z270/7700K/32GB/SSD). Still finding my way around, though.

I understood the learning curve would be steep, which is why I put it off for so long. But I'm done with Windows. Until a couple of months ago (and still working along side my new machine for now), I've been using a tweaked out XP machine I built in 2008 using then-2-year old components. It still works great except for browsing, and PMS v0.9.9 where transcoding for some videos pushes the Operon 185 dual core to 100%, occasionally halting playback and throwing an error.

with an i7-7700, you're all set for full hardware transcoding with HEVC HDR capability. That's a nice big toy :)

I used to have Opterons (two big Opteron 848 boxes). Great math crunchers but not the best at video.

The learning curve for Linux will be steep. You'll find it's often easier to do work at the command line but is transitioning to GUI as time passes.

Useful links