Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Soft Subtitles - Still 'Borderless yellow' ?

samukassamukas Posts: 210Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hey everyone! Out of curiosity, since it's been a while since my Roku died, I never had a change to see both the new plex channel versions and roku firmwares.

Are SRT soft subtitles still rendered by Roku as yellow and pretty much borderless, making them pretty hard to read?

I complained about it a lot on the forums, and to the Roku guys via PM, but I'm thinking they never solved it, I'm just curious :)

Comments

• max.o.anderson@gmail.commax.o.anderson@gmail.com Posts: 37Members ✭✭
    Yes. It's the default on Roku 2.
  • samukassamukas Posts: 210Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks for the answer. They really do not listen to requests lol
    Hum... I just noticed in the Roku Forums (and in the "simplevideoplayer" sample in the SDK) that they added an attribute to change the subtitle color. Unfortunately, still borderless, but...

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51569&p=350385&hilit=subtitlecolor#p350385

Could this make it into a future version of the channel? I think Red, Green, Purple and all those weird colors are not needed, but at least the chance to choose between Yellow and White would be appreciated.
  • schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,787Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Excellent! I secretly worry that borderless white is more likely to be hard to read than borderless yellow. But I'll file an issue regardless and we can play with it.
    edited September 2012
    I was quite surprised when I saw that, I tried it briefly with the samplevideo but couldn't come to any conclusion regarding Yellow vs White. It would be nice to have the option though :)

The border is necessary but I've pretty much given up bugging the Roku support guys about it, they just don't care.

Other options such as font size and vertical position would be nice as well, but just the border would make me a happy "roku-er". It is a pain to watch Netflix w/Subtitles on the Roku compared to the AppleTV, for example. If I were able to capture the HDMI-Out signal that comes out of both, I'd definitely send them some embarassing pictures.
    Hum... interesting. It seems that Dramafever has a version of their channel with improved subtitles with a thick border.

I'm not familiar with their channel or if it ever got out of beta, but either they're using undocumented code, or the only solution I'm seeing is that they 'coded' their own player, kind of like Hulu+ and Crackle did?
  • schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,787Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Based on a very quick reading, I actually would have guessed that they burned the subtitles into the video with the border. It's hard to be sure though without actually having the channel.
    I also thought of that, but because of this..

In the future, there will be support for you to change color, size, and language of the subtitles.

...figured that they were building their own player.