Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Manager wont update m4v files

Mee2323Mee2323 Posts: 2Members
I have a folder with m4v files in it and the Plex Media Manager wont' recognize it or update showing the videos.

Does Plex not support m4v files?

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    Mee2323 wrote:

I have a folder with m4v files in it and the Plex Media Manager wont' recognize it or update showing the videos.

Does Plex not support m4v files?

Hi,

m4v files are supported (assuming they are not itunes store purchase in which case they are full of Apple DRM, and only Apple devices and software will be able to play them) How are the files named? Have you see the naming guide?

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Naming_Guide
  • Mee2323Mee2323 Posts: 2Members
    Trudge wrote:

Hi,

m4v files are supported (assuming they are not itunes store purchase in which case they are full of Apple DRM, and only Apple devices and software will be able to play them) How are the files named? Have you see the naming guide?

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Naming_Guide

Thank you, sir! Works perfectly now. Plex has been perfect. Wirefree and cable TV free and it's never been better.
  • psyloxpsylox Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    Remove DRM from iTunes purchases.... .m4v movies

This is not Illegal, because you Purchased the Movies !!
    And you want your purchased movies available on other devices then iOs
    (Just as a purchased DVD / Blue-ray)

ciao
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    psylox wrote:

Remove DRM from iTunes purchases.... .m4v movies

This is not Illegal, because you Purchased the Movies !!

Yes, it is illegal in most countries, and you do not purchase the movies, you purchase a license to view them under specific conditions - I would suggest you read the small print on your purchases to better understand what it actually is you are doing.
  • psyloxpsylox Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass
    edited March 2013

i please accept my apologize Trudge

• aillenaillen Posts: 2Members

You have to do a conversion first. I also have experienced the same problem, because m4v files is protected by apple's DRM, the movie  from iTunes couldn't played on non-apple device.You can try AVS4Mac M4V Converter Plus, so easy to transfer m4v format.

• rutineradrutinerad Posts: 1Members
    aillen wrote on July 8 2013, 6:46 AM: »

You have to do a conversion first. I also have experienced the same problem, because m4v files is protected by apple's DRM, the movie  from iTunes couldn't played on non-apple device.You can try AVS4Mac M4V Converter Plus, so easy to transfer m4v format.

As previously stated, m4v files do not need to be DRM-protected, but those bought from Apple are.

This discussion has been closed.