Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server folder size

mikegrafmikegraf Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass
Size of Plex folder on C: drive issues
Firstly, truly love Plex and the way it operates (and especially the iOS client).

I installed on my Windows PC on the D: drive, but have noticed that my C: drive is slowly filling up. Tracked this down to the Plex Media Server folder (in \Users\[name]AppData\Local directory) that has now grown to be over 11 Gb in size (11 Gb of space which I really cannot spare).

I had hoped that the application, being stored on the D: drive (where space is not so limited), would also store its cache or program information there, however it is obviously building it up on my C: drive.

Is there any resolution to either move the folder to another drive (than C:) or anything that I should check to help free up space? Otherwise I will need to uninstall Plex given my C: drive is shortly going to run out of space.

Appreciate the help

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    mikegraf wrote:

Firstly, truly love Plex and the way it operates (and especially the iOS client).

I installed on my Windows PC on the D: drive, but have noticed that my C: drive is slowly filling up. Tracked this down to the Plex Media Server folder (in \Users\[name]AppData\Local directory) that has now grown to be over 11 Gb in size (11 Gb of space which I really cannot spare).

I had hoped that the application, being stored on the D: drive (where space is not so limited), would also store its cache or program information there, however it is obviously building it up on my C: drive.

Is there any resolution to either move the folder to another drive (than C:) or anything that I should check to help free up space? Otherwise I will need to uninstall Plex given my C: drive is shortly going to run out of space.

Appreciate the help

Hi,

There is a reg key you can change to locate the metadata anywhere you want it.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/24575-support-for-storing-application-support-files-anywhere/page__p__155038#entry155038
  • mikegrafmikegraf Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass
    Trudge wrote:

Ninja thanks for the (really) prompt reply... quick question. Apart from changing the Registry key, do I need to do anything else?

That is, should I recreate the folder structure?
    or copy over the 11 Gbs from C:\Users\...\Plex Media Server to D:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server (as an example)
    or will Plex automatically recreate the folders as needed and slowly (over time) rebuild the information?
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    mikegraf wrote:

Ninja thanks for the (really) prompt reply... quick question. Apart from changing the Registry key, do I need to do anything else?

That is, should I recreate the folder structure?
    or copy over the 11 Gbs from C:\Users\...\Plex Media Server to D:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server (as an example)
    or will Plex automatically recreate the folders as needed and slowly (over time) rebuild the information?

I'd do it like this;
    - shutdown PMS
    - Do the Reg key
    - copy everything over
    - restart PMS
    - drink beer (and watch movies) :)