Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media Servers for Plex | Desktop or Western Digital My Book Live

bruceleeroybruceleeroy Posts: 2Members
Best media server option for Plex
I want to setup the best Media Server option for Plex. I have 2 Macbook Pro's, PS3, Xbox 360 and a Pretty Nice Sound System.
knowing all that what is a better option for me:

-Using a Western Digital My Book Live(I like it for the backup options) connected to ethernet or
-Using a desktop of mine to run Plex

Thanks

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭

I want to setup the best Media Server option for Plex. I have 2 Macbook Pro's, PS3, Xbox 360 and a Pretty Nice Sound System.
    knowing all that what is a better option for me:

-Using a Western Digital My Book Live(I like it for the backup options) connected to ethernet or
    -Using a desktop of mine to run Plex

Thanks

HI,

There is no Plex server sofware for the My Book - a desktop is your only option here.
  • bruceleeroybruceleeroy Posts: 2Members
    Great thats what I will do then.
    Thanks
  • joeycannolijoeycannoli Posts: 4Members
    Are there any External Network drives with PLEX sever software?
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

Are there any External Network drives with PLEX sever software?

This page will list the various options that can run the Plex Server, be in PC/OSX or the various linux versions/NAS's -> http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/

Keep in mind that if you want to be able to transcode 1080p media, you are looking at a very high end NAS in order to meet the CPU requirements.
  • andersonmagildoandersonmagildo Posts: 1Members
    edited March 2013
    You can use the mount point of your "my book live" and point Plex to this point.
    But you need to use a computer.