Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Vizio Co-Star?

dvdchancedvdchance Posts: 307Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Any feedback on running Plex on Vizio's new streamer?

http://bit.ly/L2V87T

Looks pretty interesting.

Comments

• RaynesRaynes Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass
    I don't think anyone actually has it yet.

This looks like an excellent little box though. I'd love to have it. Unfortunately, like the Roku, it only supports h.264 video. That means that, also like the Roku, videos encoded differently will need to be transcoded. I don't think I'll be buying one, because the one thing I was hoping for was more video codecs.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,903Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I don't mind transcoding, I just want a box that can handle all my content wirelessly. The fact that Ethernet works great on the Roku, but wireless is useless when in plex, Roku is now in my closet not being used. If the Visio has a better wireless antenna, and plex has an app for it eventually, I may be in.
    Well, Plex already has an app for it. Google TV is on a number of different devices, including this one. Plex should Just Work(TM) on it.
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    dvdchance wrote:

Any feedback on running Plex on Vizio's new streamer?

http://bit.ly/L2V87T

Looks pretty interesting.

Hi,

There is a bit of a clue around the 30 second mark....

• jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Posts: 2,916Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    This will be my next purchase, as soon as it's avail. I don't care about media not being in x264 support as 99% of my movies are in that format, I am hoping it's better than the roku as that had the slow caching when you have a big library, plus with my current setup when I would change the roku to 5.1 from stereo it would crush the hell out of blacks.
    I wonder if the remote is Bluetooth? That's my favorite thing about my Roku...it doesn't need to be in sight to use the remote
    That isn't actually because of the bluetooth. The remote uses bluetooth for games. It's actually an RF remote, which is why you don't need line of sight.

Also, this box will support DNLA. Even if the Plex app didn't work properly, the DNLA stuff probably would.
    edited July 2012
    Raynes wrote:

That isn't actually because of the bluetooth. The remote uses bluetooth for games. It's actually an RF remote, which is why you don't need line of sight.

Also, this box will support DNLA. Even if the Plex app didn't work properly, the DNLA stuff probably would.

Edited, shouldn't do quick reads when I am in the middle of project, Raynes is correct.
    http://support.roku.com/entries/20288987-how-is-the-roku-game-remote-different-from-other-roku-remotes

RF is not bluetooth. Yes, it does have bluetooth for various purposes, but RF is the reason why you don't have to point your remote at the Roku.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
    So technically I could mount this thing on the back of my TV and still use the remote no worries?
    Should be able to, yes.

Also, good news, http://www.vizio.com/costar/specs says that the remote does support bluetooth. It's a universal remote and supports IR as well.
  • dvdchancedvdchance Posts: 307Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2012
    I wonder how much power it uses in comparison to the Roku2?
    Does it have on - standby or is it always on like my Rokus?
    I may have to buy it!
    The only thing keeping me from buying it at this point is how terrible Google TV is reported to be. But damn it, I *do* want a web browser on my TV!
  • pjmcdpjmcd Posts: 774Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Russ wrote:

I don't mind transcoding, I just want a box that can handle all my content wirelessly. The fact that Ethernet works great on the Roku, but wireless is useless when in plex, Roku is now in my closet not being used. If the Visio has a better wireless antenna, and plex has an app for it eventually, I may be in.

My Roku2 XD works great in Plex for 720p wirelessly. I also have a wired Roku2 XS which is a bit better over wired ethernet. Wireless performance is quite variable.

philip
    I have horrible wireless performance on my roku2 XS over wireless...plex-only problem. Everything else works great over wireless... Plex with Ethernet is flawless, but that's not an option.
    Russ wrote:

I have horrible wireless performance on my roku2 XS over wireless...plex-only problem. Everything else works great over wireless... Plex with Ethernet is flawless, but that's not an option.

Have you considered powerline adapters?
  • rdb4133rdb4133 Posts: 81Members ✭✭
    Russ wrote:

Or MOCA?
  • darrindarrin Plex Dev Team Posts: 2,044Members
    To answer the topic headline here - yes we demoed Plex on the Vizio at IO. We had only a couple hours on it but it looked great to us!
    darrin wrote:

To answer the topic headline here - yes we demoed Plex on the Vizio at IO. We had only a couple hours on it but it looked great to us!

Now if they would just release the damn thing :)