Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex and external hard drive

likwid25likwid25 Posts: 1Members
hi. i have an external hard drive that is set up through my router on my home network. i would like to store all my movie and music files on this hard drive and be able to access it through plex without my laptop having to be on. does anyone know of a way to do this?

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    likwid25 wrote:

hi. i have an external hard drive that is set up through my router on my home network. i would like to store all my movie and music files on this hard drive and be able to access it through plex without my laptop having to be on. does anyone know of a way to do this?

Hi,

The Plex clients need to talk to the Plex server, which needs to be running on a Windows/OSX or Linux machine somewhere on your home network. Unless you have "another" machine somewhere to run the server, you'll need to have your laptop running to run the server.
  • killer13387killer13387 Posts: 1Members
    Yeah, this was the whole reason I signed up to Plex. I have an external on my network and use it for google tv and laptops etc.

I may as well plug the external into the tv, or the sony google tv box.

Getting a refund | I don't pay for windows media player :-\
  • junngillistjunngillist Posts: 2Members
    What about using a raspberry pi as an intermediary between the external HD and a Roku running plex. Could not the plex server be installed on the Raspberry?