Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Wake on Lan

dellentydellenty Posts: 17Members
Ability to wake up my media server from plex
Hi Guys

I use plex on three macs in our house all connecting to my MacPro server. I have set up a python script to wake the server via the scripts menu which works some times but not always (the script buggy not plex) but isn't the easiest thing to select in the menu system.

I was wondering if you would consider adding this as a feature. You could even ad it as your fist "green" feature as we could all set our computers to sleep more often and save the planet a bit more ;)

How i would like to see this work

A setting in to enable Wake on lan
A setting to set the mac address
A setting to send WOL on plex launch
A setting to send WOL on plex wake from sleep
A setting to send WOL on network/share connect

Currently plex just ignores shares it cant find :(

Cheers
Andrew

--

Comments

• dellentydellenty Posts: 17Members
    PS for the moment there is also an iphone/ipod app called remoteboot

This wakes computers with the WOL ability very reliably. (on an Local network)

:rolleyes:
  • joshua02joshua02 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    i know it's an old msg but i'd love this feature as well. my windows7 box is used purely to DL and stream my movies to my MacMini/Plex setup. I'd love a way to have plex send a wake on lan signal to my windows 7 box. Any thoughts?
  • wkearney99@hotmail.comwkearney99@hotmail.com Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    It's generally consider a bad idea to put server machines to sleep. For just this sort of reason. In most situations the client machines aren't expected to be controlling the wake/sleep status of a server.

Here's a thought, you probably have a rough idea what times you use this stuff. How about setting the server to wake itself up during those times? Or set up a script on the client machines that does it. Cron works wonders for this sort of thing. Worst case you wake it up more often than necessary. Something along the lines of a script that pings for the server's IP address and then uses WOL if no ping responds.
  • pereza1pereza1 Posts: 214Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2009
    being on the "green" side of things, i'm working on optimizing when my minis/plex machines are up and operational. one of the mini's is acting as a SMB server.

on the plex/mini acting as a server, i'm testing various scenarios using Faronics' PowerSave product on the server to automatically put the mini to sleep when no network activity is detected (no serving of files/downloading of files) and the CPU load is low (not watching a movie). the server mini also has eyetv running but will only "wake up the mini" if a show is scheduled to be recorded. i need to test if I or plex initiates a sleep request, if the powersave app can cancel the sleep request if the network traffic/cpu load conditions are met.

on the client plex/mini, there is a open source daemon for OSX that claims to initiate commands on sleeping and waking called "sleepwatcher." my logic is that once the client mini is awaken from sleep, that a WOL magic packet is sent to the server mini. so far, i haven't gotten sleepwatcher to perform the WOL command...i need to work on it.
  • DyStiCDyStiC Posts: 54Members
    Armando wrote on 07 December 2009 - 09:52 PM:

on the client plex/mini, there is a open source daemon for OSX that claims to initiate commands on sleeping and waking called "sleepwatcher." my logic is that once the client mini is awaken from sleep, that a WOL magic packet is sent to the server mini. so far, i haven't gotten sleepwatcher to perform the WOL command...i need to work on it.

Any progress on this? i have a DiskStation NAS which support Wake-On-Lan and it would be great if Plex or OSX woke the NAS as soon as it was needed.
  • miscarriagemiscarriage Posts: 1Members
    I'm also very interested in this feature!!!!
  • pereza1pereza1 Posts: 214Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    never went back to this (never got it to work :()
  • RogerSLORogerSLO Posts: 11Members ✭✭

After 5 yrs, any news about Plex app and WOL?

• lagittajalagittaja Posts: 2Members ✭✭
    edited September 2015

@RogerSLO said:
    After 5 yrs, any news about Plex app and WOL?

Well, believe it or not, I think I've "solved" this. Maybe not exactly WOL but..
    I tried getting my PC to wake up from Windows 7 sleep when I launched the Plex app on my Android phone.
    (E: The reason I attempted this was because another user on MuroBBS forum claimed that his PMS wakes up when he/she opens up the Plex app. Didn't find any concrete evidence so I figured I'd try it myself)

What I had done:

• WOL in BIOS enabled. Or in this case, Wake on PCIe in my motherboards APM menu as the NIC is located on the PCIe.
    • NIC (Intel 82579V) configured to Wake on Magic Packet + wake on magic packet from power off state through Power management
    • Added the Windows feature "Simple TCPIP Services" as suggested by some other guide
    • I had added port 9 in UDP in Windows Firewall as suggested by some other guide

No joy.
    Then I tried enabling my NIC's "wake on pattern match" feature just for the giggles. This is described as:
    Enables this device to bring the computer out of standby or hibernation when it detects a packet with a specific pattern. The specific patterns are determined by the operating system.

Lo n behold, as soon as I opened up the Plex app on my phone, the computer woke up.
    I was a little dumbstruck, did that actually work?
    So far I've only tested it a handful of times waiting between 1-15 minutes before I opened the Plex app on my phone after I had set my computer to sleep.
    Only downfall seems to be that, regardless that my PC wakes up in mere seconds, the Plex apps timeout is short enough for it to tell me that it doesn't find the server. And I need to select my PMS from the dropdown menu. A small nuisance given the circumstances.

Other Intel NIC users (or Realtek/whatever if you've got the "wake on pattern match" feature) could you please verify this?

• Luc716Luc716 Posts: 2Members ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Anyone else finding this works?

My server isn't waking up on the back of opening the Plex iPhone app. I have WoL enabled and use it all the time via a separate app. I've got it set to only wake on a magic packet, which I presume is the same as a pattern match. Having the server wake up from opening Plex on my Fire TV would be nice!

• lagittajalagittaja Posts: 2Members ✭✭

Magic packet isn't the same as pattern match unfortunately.
    Wake on pattern match is a newer feature.
    If you have this option in the NIC power management settings:
    "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer"
    Then if you untick that option, it's the same as wake on pattern match, a magic packet and/or pattern match can wake your computer.