Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Original Xbox

I own an old Xbox classic (the black one), back in the day, I had it all modded, running the XBMC as its main dashboard and it was great, anyway, I've thinking I could bring it back to life, so my question is, is there and version of the Plex/XBMC to host only my music and stream it at work, or for this I need to wipeout the xbmc and install linux instead?

I have been reading the forums but it seems not many people is doing this, any thought guys? thx!

Comments

• xopahxopah Posts: 29Members
    I think your best luck is here:
    http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/07/05/xbmc4xbox-update/
    As the XMBC team stopped develop XBMC for the actual Xbox.
    I highly doubt that Plex nor XMBC team will support that platform in the future.
    You basically got more processing power in today's high-end mobile phones.
  • i621148i621148 Posts: 1Members
    I am using Plex running on a Mac Pro.
    The clients are an ipad, two android phones (HTC Aria) and two old skool modded xboxes.
    I have found that the ipad can handle whatever Plex has to offer and for some reason the android clients have a way that you can type in what bitrate to stream so they also seem to work.
    Each xbox has XBMC on it and I just add Plex as another UPNP client (I already have a Seagate BlackArmor UPNP server.)
    It seems to be a really good way to organize the media in one place. Before I had to scan all network drives with each individual xbox to be able to have a media library.
    Now I can connect to one central media library and let it do the work.
    Here is the bad part. Any xvid avi I have added to the library seems to stream just fine through Plex but it is not transcoding any mp4's or mkv's that I have downloaded for the xbox. They just show up with sound and a white screen or lock up. This is what I was hoping Plex could do as I was using DropFolders to automatically transcode down these so I could watch them off a network drive.
    Boxee seems to transcode these kind of files ok for the iPad but there is no Boxee xbox client.

JECS wrote:

I own an old Xbox classic (the black one), back in the day, I had it all modded, running the XBMC as its main dashboard and it was great, anyway, I've thinking I could bring it back to life, so my question is, is there and version of the Plex/XBMC to host only my music and stream it at work, or for this I need to wipeout the xbmc and install linux instead?

I have been reading the forums but it seems not many people is doing this, any thought guys? thx!