Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How do I make Plex show the tree structure of my movie library.

Hello.

How do I make Plex show the tree structure of my movie library instead of just all the file names in a bunch?

I have ripped several DVD using Leawo DVD Ripper and using Samsung AllShare I have no such problems. I'm not going to re-name each an every file just to be able to see what is what so what do I do?

Best Regards
Peter

Comments

• wickning1wickning1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 119 Plex Pass
    edited November 2012
    That isn't really what Plex is all about. If all you want is to browse your folders, there's no reason to use Plex over AllShare. The advantage of Plex is that it can look up metadata for your files on the internet and present them with descriptions, content ratings, poster images, genres, release dates, and lots more. Then you can browse your collection by genre, or in order of most recently released, etc.

That said, if you have properly set up your media libraries, all of your movies should show up, just without the directory structure and possibly without metadata.

This question is really a Plex Media Server question as the Samsung client will only show what the server is indexing. I'd recommend you start looking in that direction for more information. Here's the official naming guide:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Media_Naming_and_Organization_Guide

A tool I find insanely useful, especially for naming TV Shows, is FileBot.
  • sleepyEDBsleepyEDB Members Posts: 15
    Thanks for the link to FileBot...seems like a great program! I've just installed Plex, and I've already spent more time manually organizing just a few titles in my collection than I did with the entire installation and set up of my PMS and Samsung TV app. This is just what I needed!

Also, just thought I'd point out that the FileBot link in your post is a bit malformed. There appears to be an extra " at the end.

sleepy
  • hd1080hd1080 Plex for Samsung Moderator Members Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    sleepyEDB wrote:

Thanks for the link to FileBot...seems like a great program! I've just installed Plex, and I've already spent more time manually organizing just a few titles in my collection than I did with the entire installation and set up of my PMS and Samsung TV app. This is just what I needed!

Also, just thought I'd point out that the FileBot link in your post is a bit malformed. There appears to be an extra " at the end.

sleepy

I fixed his link ;)
  • JImmyBOnesJImmyBOnes Members Posts: 22
    then make a small layout...
    it kind of sucks when you got over 250 movies on plex and need to scroll like a **** to get there
  • M18M18 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 88 Plex Pass
    u dont have to scroll at all for a specific movie...
  • hd1080hd1080 Plex for Samsung Moderator Members Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    JImmyBOnes wrote:

then make a small layout...
    it kind of sucks when you got over 250 movies on plex and need to scroll like a **** to get there

You can use the UP and DOWN arrow on your remote to jump to the next page.