Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server for Debian

1356743

Comments

  • dzsekodzseko Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    Unfortunately this is not the 'after installation' log, but I found only this as the oldest one.
    Thank you for your advice in advance.
  • deswilsondeswilson Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    Hi, Do you know when the newest release will be added to the repo?
  • pagan0nepagan0ne Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    I am trying to update (well, uninstalled old version, installed new version) plex on Debian Squeeze 6.0.6 and am getting the following during install:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# apt-get install plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      plexmediaserver
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/86.9 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 199 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously deselected package plexmediaserver.
    (Reading database ... 133916 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (from .../plexmediaserver_0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb_amd64.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Setting up plexmediaserver (0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.postinst: 34: start: not found
    


    The package is fully installed, with the following issue:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# sudo service plexmediaserver start
    exec: 129: start: not found
    


    Now, when i look at /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver it appears that it is trying to link to:

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    21 Jan  3 22:32 /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver -> /lib/init/upstart-job
    


    And obviously since this is debian squeeze and not ubuntu:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# ls /lib/init/upstart-job
    ls: cannot access /lib/init/upstart-job: No such file or directory
    



    and my sources.list:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    # 
    
    deb http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
    
    deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
    
    # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian squeeze main
    



    and, yes, i have apt-get update'ed before installing.... so, this current package built for Debian Squeeze because it does not have upstart, apparently relies on upstart. Or am i wrong? what is going on here? If I delete the symlink to the upstart file (which doesnt exist) and copy the original /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver file back, i still get the error:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# sudo service plexmediaserver start
    exec: 129: start: not found
    



    the ONLY way i can launch plex is with:


    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# sudo su -c /usr/sbin/start_pms plex
    6 3000 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support
    8192
    




    Which is less than ideal, as it prevents the service manager from being able to well, manage plex?
  • yakumoyakumo Posts: 1,093 Plex Ninja
    deswilson wrote:

    Hi, Do you know when the newest release will be added to the repo?


    As of right now.
  • yakumoyakumo Posts: 1,093 Plex Ninja
    edited January 2013
    pagan0ne wrote:

    I am trying to update (well, uninstalled old version, installed new version) plex on Debian Squeeze 6.0.6 and am getting the following during install:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# apt-get install plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      plexmediaserver
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/86.9 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 199 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously deselected package plexmediaserver.
    (Reading database ... 133916 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (from .../plexmediaserver_0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb_amd64.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Setting up plexmediaserver (0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.postinst: 34: start: not found
    


    The package is fully installed, with the following issue:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# sudo service plexmediaserver start
    exec: 129: start: not found
    


    Now, when i look at /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver it appears that it is trying to link to:

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    21 Jan  3 22:32 /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver -> /lib/init/upstart-job
    


    And obviously since this is debian squeeze and not ubuntu:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# ls /lib/init/upstart-job
    ls: cannot access /lib/init/upstart-job: No such file or directory
    



    and my sources.list:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    # 
    
    deb http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
    
    deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
    
    # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian squeeze main
    



    and, yes, i have apt-get update'ed before installing.... so, this current package built for Debian Squeeze because it does not have upstart, apparently relies on upstart. Or am i wrong? what is going on here? If I delete the symlink to the upstart file (which doesnt exist) and copy the original /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver file back, i still get the error:

    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# sudo service plexmediaserver start
    exec: 129: start: not found
    



    the ONLY way i can launch plex is with:


    root@Cinethon:/etc/init.d# sudo su -c /usr/sbin/start_pms plex
    6 3000 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support
    8192
    




    Which is less than ideal, as it prevents the service manager from being able to well, manage plex?


    Strange.
    Well I could have by misstake added the ubuntu package to my repo instead of the debian one but then some one else should have had the same issue.

    However upgrade to the latest package and things should work as normal I have just added them to the repo and upgraded on my amd64 test server

    yakumo@May:~$ ps aux | grep plex
    plex     17268  0.0  0.0  12592   660 ?        S    11:18   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/start_pms
    plex     17276  0.0  0.3 405728 14440 ?        Sl   11:18   0:00 ./Plex Media Server
    plex     17307  2.9  1.2 378984 46448 ?        SNl  11:18   0:04 Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system] /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Versions/2/Python/bootstrap.py --server-version 0.9.7.9.375-d056f10 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle
    plex     19767  0.0  0.2 359196  9292 ?        Sl   11:18   0:00 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server
    yakumo@May:~$ sudo service plexmediaserver stop
    Killing Plex Media Server: done
    yakumo@May:~$ ps aux | grep plex
    yakumo   20015  0.0  0.0  14180   988 pts/0    S+   11:22   0:00 grep plex
    yakumo@May:~$ sudo service plexmediaserver start
    Starting Plex Media Server: done
    
  • HenriMatthijssenHenriMatthijssen Posts: 25 Plex Pass
    For me the update is working correct. Make sure that you do 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade'. PlexMediaServer is nicely started again after the update.
  • dzsekodzseko Posts: 5
    MoxZ wrote:

    Could this be your problem ?
    Dec 31, 2012 18:41:35 [0xa5efdb70] ERROR - Error listing directory [/media/Új kötet] - boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: Permission denied: "/media/Új kötet"
    PMS does not have access to read your dir.
    Do your folder have the right ownership and file permissions? There is a stycke thread about file permissions.


    I have tried several folder in the filesystem (like /home/user/movies) not just only with 'the external HDD' and those unfortunately did not work as well. :(
    Is there any manual about 'file permission' process?

    Tnanks
  • pagan0nepagan0ne Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    MoxZ, i had just done the update when posting, i did a:

    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    


    and nothing was marked for upgrade, so i did a:

    sudo apt-get insroot@Cinethon:~# apt-get remove plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
      avahi-utils
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      plexmediaserver
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 199 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 139435 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing plexmediaserver ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.prerm: 7: stop: not found
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    root@Cinethon:~# apt-get install plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      plexmediaserver
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/86.9 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 199 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously deselected package plexmediaserver.
    (Reading database ... 133917 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (from .../plexmediaserver_0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb_amd64.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Setting up plexmediaserver (0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.postinst: 34: start: not found
    root@Cinethon:~# 
    


    and it re-installed plex, as expected, with the same error. The package being installed is: plexmediaserver_0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb_amd64.deb
    Is this the most current version? as it is the one i was having trouble with last night as well?


    EDIT: so, i removed ALL sources from my sources.list file, and cleared the apt package cache, and it is apparently downloading plex from a ubuntu repo some how, this does not appear to be an issue with your repo at all. Sorry for the confusion. Investigating where apt is getting its repo info from since sources.list is EMPTY now.

    EDIT2: Apparently Debian stores external repos in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ files as well, and they take priority over sources in /etc/apt/sources.list, so i was installing the Ubuntu version. Running:

    root@Cinethon:~# rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list
    root@Cinethon:~# apt-get update
    root@Cinethon:~# apt-get remove plexmediaserver
    root@Cinethon:~# apt-get install plexmediaserver
    


    resolved the issue. The current version in the repo is: http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian/ squeeze/main plexmediaserver amd64 0.9.7.9.375-d056f10 [87.1 MB]
    THANKS FOR THE ASSISTANCE! Wonderful thing Plex is!
  • yakumoyakumo Posts: 1,093 Plex Ninja
    This is the most reason version plexmediaserver_0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb_amd64.deb the same as you posted. But if that is the version from last night you have the ubuntu repo added because I added this a couple of hours ago.
  • Installed the latest 0.9.7.9.376-48ee3bb on ubuntu 12.04 box and the CPU is pegged crazy high during stream from apple tv.

    owner cpu command
    plex 263 % /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plex Transcoder transcode http://127.0.0.1:32 ...
  • JGSJGS Posts: 75
    Many thanks for providing these packages!
  • DoveBallsDoveBalls Posts: 10 Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    pagan0ne wrote:


    EDIT2: Apparently Debian stores external repos in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ files as well, and they take priority over sources in /etc/apt/sources.list, so i was installing the Ubuntu version. Running:


    That was my problem as well,  was getting
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.prerm: 6: /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.prerm: start: not found
    


    But editing my sources.list.d/plexmediaserver file showed the ubuntu repo that must've been added with the first deb I tried to install directly from plex.

    Either way removing the lucid repo here and leaving your debian repo fixed it all up.
  • dzsekodzseko Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    MoxZ wrote:


    Thanks for your help. (Probably) the newest release update solved "section giving" problem.
    Now there is a permission difficulty but somehow this will be solved.

    Thanx
  • HorarHorar Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    Hello,

    I've experienced all the w00t problems (in previous posts) regarding to starting the server and finally fixed a lot of them; now while w00t actually made it work by rebooting/reinstalling, it didn't work here, here is what i can give to you :

    caribou@caribox:~$ lsb_release -a
    LSB Version:    core-2.0-ia32:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-ia32:core-3.2-noarch
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.6 (squeeze)
    Release:        6.0.6
    Codename:       squeeze
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ uname -srv
    Linux 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 01:53:57 UTC 2010
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian squeeze main
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo apt-get purge plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      avahi-utils
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      plexmediaserver*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 146 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 49523 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing plexmediaserver ...
    Killing Plex Media Server: done
    update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver exists during rc.d purge (use -f to force)
    dpkg: error processing plexmediaserver (--purge):
     subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     plexmediaserver
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo mv /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver.old
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo apt-get purge plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      avahi-utils
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      plexmediaserver*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 146 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 49523 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing plexmediaserver ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.prerm: line 2: /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver: No such file or directory
     Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver ...
       /etc/rc0.d/K20plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc1.d/K20plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc2.d/S20plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc3.d/S20plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc4.d/S20plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc5.d/S20plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc6.d/K20plexmediaserver
    Purging configuration files for plexmediaserver ...
    Removing user `plex` ...
    Warning: group `nogroup` has no more members.
    Done.
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      plexmediaserver
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 146 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/85.4MB of archives.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously deselected package plexmediaserver.
    (Reading database ... 44005 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (from .../plexmediaserver_0.9.7.9.375-d056f10_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up plexmediaserver (0.9.7.9.375-d056f10) ...
     Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver ...
       /etc/rc0.d/K20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc1.d/K20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc6.d/K20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc2.d/S20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc3.d/S20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc4.d/S20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
       /etc/rc5.d/S20plexmediaserver -> ../init.d/plexmediaserver
    Killing Plex Media Server: done
    Starting Plex Media Server: done
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver status
    It seems that Plex Media Server isnt running (no process found).
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ ls -la /var/lib/plexmediaserver/
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x  3 plex nogroup 4096 Jan 10 17:08 .
    drwxr-xr-x 42 root root    4096 Jan 10 17:08 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  3 plex nogroup 4096 Jan 10 17:08 Library
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo ps aux | grep plex
    caribou   3663  0.0  0.1   3280   728 pts/0    S+   17:11   0:00 grep plex
    
    caribou@caribox:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/start_pms
    6 3000 /root/Library/Application Support
    8192
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::system::system_error> >'
      what():  epoll: Function not implemented
    /usr/sbin/start_pms: line 29:  3811 Aborted                 ./Plex\ Media\ Server
    


    :'(

    Edit : Fixed by updating the kernel B)
  • stannastanna Posts: 2
    Any idea when this is going to be updated to PMS V 0.9.7.10.382 ?
    I have an LG TV that has been affected by the rebooting bug that is resolved in the newest release.

    Thanks for providing this package - it allows me to run on OpenMediaVault perfectly with little Linux knowledge!
  • yakumoyakumo Posts: 1,093 Plex Ninja
    stanna wrote:

    Any idea when this is going to be updated to PMS V 0.9.7.10.382 ?
    I have an LG TV that has been affected by the rebooting bug that is resolved in the newest release.

    Thanks for providing this package - it allows me to run on OpenMediaVault perfectly with little Linux knowledge!


    Sry for the delay was bussy last week with work and getting Plex Home Theater to run under wheezy, so I missed there waas a new PMS releas.
    It has now been updated.
  • stannastanna Posts: 2
    Thanks for this - my TV is now not rebooting every 10 seconds :)
  • yakumoyakumo Posts: 1,093 Plex Ninja
    stanna wrote:

    Thanks for this - my TV is now not rebooting every 10 seconds :)


    =) Great
    I have also added the newset release 0.9.7.11.386
  • Hi,
    I installed the latest version (0.9.7.11.386-d353989) of plex on debian squeeze and the installation work well.
    I want to authorize an ip without authentication XXXX/255.255.255.255 but it dont work.
    if i put a mask of 255.255.255.0 it works.
    Is it I who am wrong in the mask 255.255.255.255 to allow that ip ?
    of course I let 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255


    Thank you in advance for your answers :)
Sign In or Register to comment.