Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server for Debian

Comments

• yakumoyakumo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,093 Plex Ninja

Weezy repo updated with 1.4.3
    for jessie users with systemd please use plex ubuntu repo.

• huntrmhuntrm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited March 3

Quick Q: I've got latest version of Plex installed on Debian 8 and I'm unable to start it up automatically on reboot.

If I execute the following, Plex hangs:
    user@plex:/etc/init.d$ ./plexmediaserver start Starting Plex Media Server:

After few carriage returns, I get done but it was never started. Plex was installed under this user account, which does have sudoer privileges.

Now, if I type:
    user@plex:/etc/init.d$ sudo ./plexmediaserver start [sudo] password for user: Starting Plex Media Server: done

The program starts up with no problem. Everything is correctly installed in /etc/init.d and I have updated rc.d.

Any ideas on how to easily fix?

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,735 Plex Team Member

Debian 8 uses systemd as the control mechanism

sudo systemctl enable plexmediaserver will make it autostart at boot
    sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver will start it if stopped after boot
    sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver will stop it if running.

• huntrmhuntrm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Goddd, I forgot about the legacy rc.d and it being removed. Thank you for your help.

• FiverockerFiverocker Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want to downgrade my Rasperry Pi (raspian linux) Plex Server installation from the latest 1.4.3.3433
    to the older 1.3.4.3285. I already got the .DEB file of version 1.3.4.3285, but don´t know how I can downgrade without loosing my settings and cached files... I guess if I uninstall my current Plex server and reinstall the DEB file manually all is lost? Can somebody help me?
    Thanks!
    K.

• frederick.graysonfrederick.grayson Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

All you need to do is install the older version right over the newer version.

• FiverockerFiverocker Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Thanks, I didn´t dare to think it was as easy as that! Will try!

• 5entinel5entinel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

@huntrm said:
    Quick Q: I've got latest version of Plex installed on Debian 8 and I'm unable to start it up automatically on reboot.

If I execute the following, Plex hangs:
    user@plex:/etc/init.d$ ./plexmediaserver start Starting Plex Media Server:

After few carriage returns, I get done but it was never started. Plex was installed under this user account, which does have sudoer privileges.

Now, if I type:
    user@plex:/etc/init.d$ sudo ./plexmediaserver start [sudo] password for user: Starting Plex Media Server: done

The program starts up with no problem. Everything is correctly installed in /etc/init.d and I have updated rc.d.

Any ideas on how to easily fix?

Check the permissions of /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/ And make sure the user who is running plex (in my case, the user is "plex") has permissions to write to the logs.

• mikaoioimikaoioi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@yakumo said:
    Weezy repo updated with 1.4.3
    for jessie users with systemd please use plex ubuntu repo.

Thanks!
    For plex pass users, should we switch to wheezy main instead of plexpass main?
    (i mean, are you going to update plexpass too?)

• MokoyFabMokoyFab Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

@mikaoioi said:
    Thanks!
    For plex pass users, should we switch to wheezy main instead of plexpass main?
    (i mean, are you going to update plexpass too?)

Hello,
    same question... :)
    Thanks for your help.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,735 Plex Team Member

As info for those not certain how 'the magic' works,

Debian 8 uses systemd (systemctl) and works with the Plex package for Ubuntu.
    Debian 7 uses init (/etc/init/rc.d) needs Yakumo's version of that same package .

If uncertain which your system is, cat /proc/1/comm will respond with init or systemd

• Fliptop72Fliptop72 Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

I am unable to play any media since 1.4.4 update. everything worked fine on 1.4.3. how if i can do i roll back.. I realy do not want to instll Kodi!!!

@Fliptop72

Can you grab me the log files please? (Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs) and attach the ZIP file here (document attach above ^^) ?

Thanks very much.

I see some things I need to go ask about. There is information about the chromecast which is new. I wasn't expecting this and need to learn.

Followup:

I have a quick check for you to perform please?

Go into "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs" and look at each of the files there.

If any are considerably smaller or even zero-length, we've found the problem. (interrupted / failed download)

We will need to delete them and have PMS download fresh.

Before you delete them, if there are any, I would like you to capture the listing (ls -la) of the directory containing all of them and insert here (the text) with your next post. I will write this up for the Dev team.

The codecs were all 0 bytes, wasn't sure what you meant by "capture the listing" so if it helps I captured a screen shot before deletion.

listing == list of names showing lengths.. But if all zero.. this is a problem. completely failed download for all.

Please make sure PMS has write-permission on that directory??

• ickeicke Members Posts: 1

plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d
    └─db_folder.conf
    Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Wed 2017-03-22 09:20:46 CET; 27s ago
    Process: 5608 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Media\ Server (code=exited, status=134)
    Process: 5605 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" || /bin/mkdir -p "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 5608 (code=exited, status=134)

Mar 22 09:20:41 openmediavault systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
    Mar 22 09:20:46 openmediavault systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
    Mar 22 09:20:46 openmediavault systemd[1]: Stopping Plex Media Server for Linux...
    Mar 22 09:20:46 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
    Mar 22 09:20:46 openmediavault systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
    Mar 22 09:20:46 openmediavault systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.

Debian 8.7

Any suggestions?

• MattyB12CMattyB12C Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Hi,
    I just installed the debian wheezy package (thanks yakumo) on my OMV box. There's some stuff I'd like working on the server, basically the support for older silicon dust dtv tuners. It looks like I need pms 1.5 but this points to 1.4.3 I think. Is it just waiting for someone to be comfortable the recent release is stable or is this version the non plex pass one? Is this even a thing?