If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server for Debian

Comments

• BrianMarkussenBrianMarkussen Posts: 20Members ✭✭

Hi

Sorry for the late respone, my server installation had a break down.

I had been so stupid to install it on a usb stick. I didnt have anymore sata slots :-)  My apache2 server was not to be restored, so no webacces :-(

Now iam usin a ssd disk on e-sata and my system is up and running again, my plex is also running and starting up.

Looking under user is only my account? dont know if plex should be there, dont see how it could?

Brian

• PepsiBluePepsiBlue Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2013
    guy2545 wrote on April 26 2013, 4:36 AM: »

I'm using OMV as well and it is a great NAS setup.

I have notice two problems usually pop up in regards to plex and OMV.  First, for whatever reason during the installation of PMS sometimes the plex user does not get setup.  On your OMV GUI double check the Users tab and make sure that the user "plex" is listed there.

Would you mind elaborating more on creating the Plex user account? I'm using OMV too and I'm noticing that I can't get the program to autostart and maybe this is the problem.

In particular, what groups and shell should I setup?

• yakumoyakumo Posts: 1,095Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    PepsiBlue wrote on May 27 2013, 9:02 PM: »

Would you mind elaborating more on creating the Plex user account? I'm using OMV too and I'm noticing that I can't get the program to autostart and maybe this is the problem.

In particular, what groups and shell should I setup?

Here it was the debian install script should do adduser --quiet --system --shell /bin/bash --home /var/lib/plexmediaserver plex

user: plex

shell: /bin/bash

home: /var/lib/plexmediaserver

• eblofelteblofelt Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Hopefully this is the correct thread for this question.  I was interested in installing plex on the recommendation of some coworkers but there seem to be no packages listed for wheezy/amd64.  Is that a placeholder/tbd?  Assuming it is a placeholder, are there plans to populate it?  If not, I guess I'll try pinning to the squeeze version.

Thanks for maintaining the repo!

Hi use the squeeze repo for wheezy that package is working on both systems.

=)

• eblofelteblofelt Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Worked like a charm.  Thanks!

• garyigaryi Posts: 608Members Plex Pass

Hi could someone tell me the latest version? I have installed today on OMV and its version 9.7.22? I did sudo apt-get update thingy but nothing new there.

Sorry about that.

Repo updated with latest none plexpass version.

• garyigaryi Posts: 608Members Plex Pass

Thanks dude!

• wideoteka.netwideoteka.net Posts: 183Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

is there any chance to install on debian newest version for plexpass users ?

regards

majkelos wrote on June 16 2013, 9:32 AM: »

is there any chance to install on debian newest version for plexpass users ?

regards

See my links =)

• ned the nerdned the nerd Posts: 13Members
    Christian Svedin wrote on June 15 2013, 9:44 AM: »

Sorry about that.

Repo updated with latest none plexpass version.

How log does it take to arrive in repo, just tried apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, still no update?

Thanks

Samsung BD-E5500 BD Player
    HP Proliant Microserver (Ubuntu 12.04LTS)
    Sony KDL-32D3000 TV
    ned the nerd wrote on June 16 2013, 1:21 PM: »

How log does it take to arrive in repo, just tried apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, still no update?

Thanks

The new files are there since I wrote the post. I have installed from the repo on a test machine.

What repo do you have added in either /etc/apt/source.list or /etc/apt/source.list.d/plexmediaserver ?

• ned the nerdned the nerd Posts: 13Members

I currently have the following in my sources.list

deb http://www.plexapp.com/repo lucid main

Thanks.

Samsung BD-E5500 BD Player
    HP Proliant Microserver (Ubuntu 12.04LTS)
    Sony KDL-32D3000 TV
    edited June 2013

That is a big issue. 

taht repo is for ubuntu lucid.

Check first post in this thread for the right repo for debian.

it says squeeze there and that is what it should be even for wheezy

Edit

here is the correct repo for Debian

deb http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian squeeze main

ned the nerd wrote on June 17 2013, 1:36 PM: »

I currently have the following in my sources.list

deb http://www.plexapp.com/repo lucid main

Thanks.

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Many thanks.

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • tekkbebetekkbebe Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi Moxz, Tobias, et al.,

Thanks for all the good work.  I noticed some people having issues on removing and resintalling pms ( I saw post by woot and others).  I had an issue a while back and noticed the plex user was not deleted when I removed pms.  Upon reinstall pms would not run.  I removed pms, deleted the plex user and then reinstalled again.  Then the issues was resolved.  It seems to be an issue with UID mistmatch.

c-ya,

tekkbebe (from OMV)

• mcflymmcflym Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am really new at linux... excuse me for my stupid question:

How can i upgrade to plex 0.98 manually?

thanks yor your reply!

• ProfessorKaos64ProfessorKaos64 Posts: 21Members Plex Pass

MANY thanks for devising this script!  I was confused at first because I was using the Squeeze repo, but worked like a charm!  Can we maybe just copy the package to the wheezy dir to avoid confusion?  Thank you though!  I have always loved debian, and I LOVE plex!  Thanks!

• tekkbebetekkbebe Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When installing plex on Debian Squeeze it seems to take the 1st normal user with a UID 1000, or just above, and give it ownership to these paths:

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver
    /etc/default/plexmediaserver
    /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver

What is the purpose of this?  Is is to let a user start/stop/status plexmediaserver?  Could someone please give me some background.