Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

AppleTV3 JB is almost there...

MichielMichiel Plex NinjaPosts: 849Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
You can tell it’s the holiday season as the good news keep on coming for Apple TV customers. After numerous attempts and trials, our developers have finally managed to produce an untethered Apple TV 3 jailbreak. We are now performing the final tests on the hacking software which is due to be released very soon.

http://www.appletv3jailbreak.com/2012/12/apple-tv-3-1080p-untethered-jailbreak.html

Looks like its finally coming people! :) Let's hope Plex will work.

Comments

• f00b4rf00b4r Posts: 2,914Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2012
    tcviper wrote:

You can tell it’s the holiday season as the good news keep on coming for Apple TV customers. After numerous attempts and trials, our developers have finally managed to produce an untethered Apple TV 3 jailbreak. We are now performing the final tests on the hacking software which is due to be released very soon.

http://www.appletv3jailbreak.com/2012/12/apple-tv-3-1080p-untethered-jailbreak.html

This is a dupe of another thread.
    Also very unlikely to be true, especially as they speak about already existing ATV3 jailbreaks (there are none in the wild).
    I know everyone is really wanting this but can we stop spamming the forum with this unsubstantiated rubbish until there is either some kind of evidence or news from a CREDIBLE source?
    All it serves to do is get people's hopes up, drive ad revenue generating traffic to anyone who registers a domain name, and spam this forum.
  • rsavarsava Posts: 2,067Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    tcviper wrote:

Yeah, this is the same site you linked to a few days a go. It has a blog entry for Nov 2014 (I guess they survived the Mayan EOW!) that is nothing more than an ad link to Amazon.
    Is it your site?
  • MichielMichiel Plex Ninja Posts: 849Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    No it's not my site, why would it be?
    tcviper wrote:

No it's not my site, why would it be?

In that case can I interest you in some magic beans.....

:D
  • MattyKMattyK Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass
    edited December 2012
    Because ATV3 is nowhere near being jailbroken. To my understanding, there is not enough addressable memory in the chipset to load the updated image. Would likely require some kind of hardware connected ePROM-style flash. :(
  • adriandbadriandb Posts: 946Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2012
    MattyK wrote:

Because ATV3 is nowhere near being jailbroken. To my understanding, there is not enough addressable memory in the chipset to load the updated image. Would likely require some kind of hardware connected ePROM-style flash. :(

I don't usually say "never", but if that's the case then it's never gonna happen.
  • dauntless101dauntless101 Posts: 46Members
    I think our only hope is that Apple will eventually add an app store to future releases.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,903Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think our only hope is that Apple will eventually add an app store to future releases.

They HAVE TO. And if Apple pulls a stunt where only a new version of an Apple TV has an App Store, and previous versions do not get it, I will be extremely upset. The Apple TV is the dream box for Plex, and I cannot wait for the day when the Plex logo is right next to YouTube on my Apple TV 3 screen, and the device is not jailbroken :) But if this jailbreak ends up being ligit somehow, I will definitely be happy about that, too, just not holding my breath. AppleTV Hacks has not moment end on this story, so I'm sure it's bogus!
  • rsavarsava Posts: 2,067Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    unisonruss wrote:

They HAVE TO. And if Apple pulls a stunt where only a new version of an Apple TV has an App Store, and previous versions do not get it, I will be extremely upset. The Apple TV is the dream box for Plex, and I cannot wait for the day when the Plex logo is right next to YouTube on my Apple TV 3 screen, and the device is not jailbroken :) But if this jailbreak ends up being ligit somehow, I will definitely be happy about that, too, just not holding my breath. AppleTV Hacks has not moment end on this story, so I'm sure it's bogus!

D@mn-it! I ALWAYS have to read your posts in Spicoli's voice!
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,903Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    rsava wrote:

Awesome! Totally awesome! Alright, Hamilton :D
  • jjjdewijsjjjdewijs Posts: 3Members
    I have always wondered how Apple manages to get new icons added to the AppleTV screen without me touching the device. Icons like the iTunes festival just show up on your appleTV without doing anything to it.

Can we not just replicate this and via an external dns hack (via a router) or something, do exactly the same thing to an not-jailbroken AppleTV?
    JurgendW wrote:

I have always wondered how Apple manages to get new icons added to the AppleTV screen without me touching the device. Icons like the iTunes festival just show up on your appleTV without doing anything to it.

Can we not just replicate this and via an external dns hack (via a router) or something, do exactly the same thing to an not-jailbroken AppleTV?

No. Unfortunately it is not relevant in this case.
  • adriandbadriandb Posts: 946Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    rsava wrote:

hilarious... now I do too.
    edited December 2012
    MattyK wrote:

Where is this information from?
    All the information I have seen, including the latest conference at which the iPhone Dev Team and a new respected iOS security expert were interviewed extensively, pointed to the reason being the lower attack surface of the ATV3 being the reason i.e. it runs much less services than the iPhone/iPad to attack and exploit.
    f00b4r wrote:

Where is this information from?
    All the information I have seen, including the latest conference at which the iPhone Dev Team and a new respected iOS security expert were interviewed extensively, pointed to the reason being the lower attack surface of the ATV3 being the reason i.e. it runs much less services than the iPhone/iPad to attack and exploit.

That certainly wouldn't help. Then again, fewer services running == less required memory space :)

It ought to be fun (not really) trying to retrace the myriad steps I've taken researching the issue (like all of us), but I'll do my best to find you a link regarding the memory issue.
  • BlackBradPittBlackBradPitt Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    MattyK wrote:

Nowhere near? I cringe when I hear that in tech, especially in the jailbreak community where it could all change in just the time it takes to retrace your research steps. Isnt that basically why print media is dying. Especially tech printed news. Just changes to quickly.

unisonruss wrote:

They really dont "have to" do anything. They have so much money in just cash alone right now even if the AppleTV died today it wouldnt hurt them. Don't hold your breath for an app store until they have exhausted every negotiation with studios and cable providers. Only then will we see one and it'll be in partner with them or too crush them for not playing along. You can be sure their telling them, look what we did for music (which they basically just took over) we could do the same with appletv apps. It's like a gift and a threat at the same time. hahaha. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and everyone other cell company have seen that first hand.

Nowhere near? I cringe when I hear that in tech, especially in the jailbreak community where it could all change in just the time it takes to retrace your research steps. Isnt that basically why print media is dying. Especially tech printed news. Just changes to quickly.

They really dont "have to" do anything. They have so much money in just cash alone right now even if the AppleTV died today it wouldnt hurt them. Don't hold your breath for an app store until they have exhausted every negotiation with studios and cable providers. Only then will we see one and it'll be in partner with them or too crush them for not playing along. You can be sure their telling them, look what we did for music (which they basically just took over) we could do the same with appletv apps. It's like a gift and a threat at the same time. hahaha. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and everyone other cell company have seen that first hand.

Umm... wut :blink:
  • Anita1Anita1 Posts: 1Members
    Don't cha worry. Apple would definitely add an apps store for future releases. They would surely inform people about its new apps, other special deals and other new products.
  • ashjimashjim Posts: 9Members ✭✭
    f00b4r wrote on December 18 2012, 9:03 AM: »

No. Unfortunately it is not relevant in this case.

Why is this not relevant?

ashjim wrote on April 11 2013, 7:32 PM: »

Why is this not relevant?

It's not relevant to a jailbreak.
    There is work being undertaken to do something similar by hijacking an app but is is likely that to replace or add an icon a jailbreak will still be required (or risk having something that breaks even without the user updating the firmware - not a good situation).