Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

UTF-8 Subtitle Charset

sipkhoonsipkhoon Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
Add UTF-8 to subtitle charset selection
I have all my subtitles saved as UTF-8 format.

For all the Chinese Traditional (Big5) and Chinese Simplified (GB) subtitles, I always resave them into UTF-8 encoding, so that I don't have to change the VLC setting, every time when I switch from Big5 to GB subtile, or the other way.

But in Plex, I can't have UTF-8 as my subtitle charset, so all my Chinese language UTF-8 subtitles are not usable in Plex.

Please consider adding UTF-8 to subtitle charset.

Thanks!

Comments

• bmfrostybmfrosty Posts: 384Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Can you provide a sample file?
  • sipkhoonsipkhoon Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    Yes, the sample is as attached. ;)
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 9,000Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    bmfrosty, please let me know what your recommendation is here :)
    edited July 2008
    I'll do some testing when I get home tonight. I know I've had UTF-8 subs work alright in .ass format. I just checked the file, and it seems to be using <LF> instead of <CR><LF> or <CR>, and it's missing that little three byte header that microsoft likes to throw on UTF-8 files. Also, it seems to be valid UTF-8 as the characters are viewable in windows notepad when I change the font to Arial Unicode. I've attached a file with some simple modifications (one with microsoft's 3 byte header and another one with all the <LF> changed to <CR><LF>). Sip, If you could try out these files and report your findings, it would be appreciated. Also, if you could tell us what font you are using, it would be helpful.

[attachment=203:sakura_modified.zip]
    bmfrosty,

Both srt files have the same result as the original, they are not encoded as chinese characters.

I use Arial unicode font for VLC and Plex.
    Just replicated here. It looks like it's just not detecting it as Unicode.

@elan

Does the srt loader know how to deal with utf-8?
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 9,000Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    I'll check it out.
    No luck with 0.5RC1.

The Chinese characters in UTF-8 subtitle files still are not encoded properly.

;)
    sip wrote on Jul 29 2008, 01:33 AM:
    No luck with 0.5RC1.

The Chinese characters in UTF-8 subtitle files still are not encoded properly.

;)

Sorry, it didn't quite make that release. Hopefully I'll have a chance to look at it soon.
    Thank you Elan. Hope can watch Japanese movies with Chinese subtitle soon. :)
    There's probably a workaround. Try converting the srt subtitles to SSA and then playing them. I don't know if there's an app in OS-X that will do that for you though... I'll poke around and see what I can find.
    I use Jubler to convert srt to ssa, but it doesn't help. The characters appear as square boxes... :(
    Make sure you set the font in SSA to something unicode, and throw that font in a directory where plex will look for it... I can get you that directory name when I get home tonight.
    Libass will find fonts in:
    /tmp/plex

throw whatever font you want to use in there, and make sure that it's specified in the ssa/ass file.