Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Home Theater v0.9.9.41

elanelan Sheriff of PlexvilleMauiPosts: 8,855Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
Download from http://plexapp.com/plexpass/plex-ht.php
Login: plexpass
Password: barkleyrules

Comments

• diamondswdiamondsw "Vitriolic yet well-intentioned" Posts: 847Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have oh-so-many bug reports to test against this new release, and two more weeks until I'm home and can do so.

Merry Christmas back to the Plex team, and a happy and prosperous 2013!
  • bigdave914bigdave914 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    YES! Finally. Thank you! :D
  • djmayhemdjmayhem Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Being able to mark items in On Deck and Recently Added as "Watched" is my favorite thing ever. I love you. I love you all, so much.
  • uberman15uberman15 Posts: 175Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2012
    I'd like to be able to get rid of "Channel Directory" and "Queue" from the home screen. Is this possible?

Also, is the new startup splash screen (where it says Plex for Home Theater) going to stay? Personally, I like the simpler version of the stable releases. If it is here to stay, I have to say the lower case "for" with capitalized "HOME THEATER" looks odd next to each other. Not a big deal, but it did sort of stand out to me when I first started it up.

EDIT: Btw, thank you so much for dirty region rendering. That along with the ability to mark On Deck items as watched were pretty much the only thing I wanted for the desktop client. Now, it's here.... so grateful.
  • ArsenalArsenal Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    The Airplay video playback is amazing. So much better than Air server on the same system that used to drop 90% of the frames with the old Plex Media Center running in the background. Now I can output 1080p videos from my iphone 5 and it works perfectly. Looking forward to music support as well.
  • pewtertankardpewtertankard Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Love the new features but this causes me too many problems for it to replace the old Plex media center front-end just yet.

Firstly, although I know I entered my PlexPass email/password credentials correectly, Plex Home Theater wouldn't log me in. I resorted to the PIN code and this worked... until PHT crashed and since then I've not been able to log back in. PIN code is still "generating" apparently.

By the way, is this Mac distribution package signed? I asked for the AirPlay to be turned on (very nice feature, by the way) and, since then, every time I start PHT, my Mac asks me whether or not I want to accept incoming connections; with a signed package I should only have to do this once.

Secondly, my skin of choice is reFocus back to black which doesn't really work yet with PHT (redraw issues on the top level menu... going down a level to, say TV series, just gives me a black screen... etc.. It may be that playing with different skins is what caused the above crash. Either way, if this is common with other skins, then I wouldn't recommend this one for the big time just yet

Given that I need a stable build to get me through Christmas, I don't think I'll be playing with this too much until nearly New Year. Thanks so much for working on the feature updates though and I certainly agree that AirPlay and the mark-as-watched features for the On Deck stuff are valuable features.

Merry Christmas.

Phil
  • henkjanvrieshenkjanvries Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    The biggest reason why i dont run pht now is that it doesnt work with remotebuddy. Ive everything set up with RB and now that doesnt work. And the native harmony setup doesnt work either. Therefor im restricted to keep working with the older version.

Id like to see this adressed.
  • ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,475Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The biggest reason why i dont run pht now is that it doesnt work with remotebuddy. Ive everything set up with RB and now that doesnt work. And the native harmony setup doesnt work either. Therefor im restricted to keep working with the older version.

Id like to see this adressed.

Could you provide information on your setup? Hardware/OS version etc. Also I know of one case where harmony remote didn't se to work on a Snow Leopard install. This is a preview release so for some setups will likely be issues.

/Mark
  • maynardfergusonmaynardferguson Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass
    Arsenal wrote:

The Airplay video playback is amazing. So much better than Air server on the same system that used to drop 90% of the frames with the old Plex Media Center running in the background. Now I can output 1080p videos from my iphone 5 and it works perfectly. Looking forward to music support as well.

using the mac version as a test and my ipad 3 as mirror source, I wasn't able to get it to work at all. I saw the "plex home theater" in the airplay options but it didn't give me the option to mirror or anything else.
  • gardzgardz Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Is there a change log for this new version that highlights all of the new features?
  • preshitpreshit Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This is brilliant. I welcome the AirPlay playback. Now off to test the release.
  • ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,475Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    gardz wrote:

Is there a change log for this new version that highlights all of the new features?

Apart from the features that Elan mentioned were not there including PVR (He didn't mention weather but thats not there either), its pretty much frodo sync from xbmc. So you should be able to find what it does and doesn't cook over there.

/Mark
  • andrew@andrewwong.comandrew@andrewwong.com Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    How do you get AirPlay to work? I choose AirPlay on my iPad and the sound goes out on my iPad, but the video continues to play, but the PlexHomeTheatre doesn't show any change. Video or sound does not appear on the PHT.
  • henkjanvrieshenkjanvries Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    ziggimon wrote:

Could you provide information on your setup? Hardware/OS version etc. Also I know of one case where harmony remote didn't se to work on a Snow Leopard install. This is a preview release so for some setups will likely be issues.

/Mark

Ive got a macmini2.3 i5 with 10.7.5

Ive got the latest plex server and remotebuddy 1.22.1

Reason why i use rb is that it helps with changing between eyetv and plex and ive got so much more on the remote than just what natively is used by plex ifs essential it works.

Perhaps rb doesnt see the new version because the app is called plex home theater in stead of plex bevause in thebehaviourslist. pht isnt shown as app that can be used
  • BenBuchBenBuch Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Airplay integration is great, but i cant choose the airplay device i want to stream to (have 4 different airplay devices), streaming to more than one device/different audio outputs would also be nice.
    Turning airplay on/off would be great not only in the settings area, but also in the audio options during a running movie.

Great things to come, but i was really hoping for a UI redesign.
  • HealeydaveHealeydave Posts: 277Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2012
    Wow, when you said in the Blog post it would crash a lot , you weren't kidding!

It won't even launch on my MacMini which is running the previous client and latest PMS just fine!

Edit:
    Deleted and added new log after creating an advanced settings.xml.

Ive got a macmini2.3 i5 with 10.7.5

Ive got the latest plex server and remotebuddy 1.22.1

Reason why i use rb is that it helps with changing between eyetv and plex and ive got so much more on the remote than just what natively is used by plex ifs essential it works.

Perhaps rb doesnt see the new version because the app is called plex home theater in stead of plex bevause in thebehaviourslist. pht isnt shown as app that can be used

I run EyeTV + Plex on my Mini (No RB though), and could . And as said before there is at least one other than you with remote issues. But I'm sure it will be addressed before PHT goes live, this is a preview, so bugs are expected. Its been passed on to the devs that there are some remote issues. But for remote buddy, you could try and change "Plex Home Theater" to Plex and see if RB picks it up. If so, then you need to change some settings in RB.

/Mark
    drh wrote:

Wow, when you said in the Blog post it would crash a lot , you weren't kidding!

It won't even launch on my MacMini which is running the previous client and latest PMS just fine!

Hi,

After you quit the Laika client, can you from terminal kill off the old Plex Helper process and then start Plex Home Theater?

/Mark
  • diamondswdiamondsw "Vitriolic yet well-intentioned" Posts: 847Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2012
    Hmmm... RemoteBuddy may be an issue. Generally the author has to update his profiles when there's a major new release of Plex or XBMC - is there any way you could seed him with a copy of the new PlexHT? I'm likewise very, very tied to RemoteBuddy for my HTPC setup.

AirPlay can be very finicky to get working right, between video, audio, and mirroring all being semi-independent of each other (at least from what I've seen of AirServer and other packages). Best of luck there - it's an extremely worthwhile feature.

Client-wise, this release feels very much like Plex 0.9.5 Laika - a lot of under-the-hood updates and resyncing to maintain A/V capabilities, but no major updates to the UI. While we have to maintain compatibility with content as a paramount concern, the main UI now hasn't changed since 0.9 (and even that wasn't hugely different from Plex of years before). I'd echo the request for some more client streamlining (collapse items in the main listing, add/improve the filter interface, bring back single season collapsing, etc). Channel ("app") browsing and access is still very clunky compared to what other platforms offer. The interface is still based on drilling, drilling, drilling through hierarchy - there's no use of 2-dimensionality, shortcuts, or quick jumps to get around Plex quickly (at least, not the default skin). Lots and lots of clicking buttons over and over - I've broken one remote already.

I know there's a lot of UI ideas percolating - the work on the web and iOS clients show that - and hopefully the foundational updates made here will allow for this to show up before long. As it stands, the version number might be 0.9.9, but I really don't think this UI is what you want to show off as "1.0".
  • HealeydaveHealeydave Posts: 277Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    ziggimon wrote:

Hi,

After you quit the Laika client, can you from terminal kill off the old Plex Helper process and then start Plex Home Theater?

/Mark

Still crashes, I did a killall PlexHelper from terminal and tried it first, then although I was pretty sure the previous command would have worked fine, I also tried force quitting PlexHelper from Activity Monitor, but PHT still crashes about 5 seconds after showing the splash screen.
This discussion has been closed.