Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Retroplex for PlexPass beta

se.bastianse.bastian Plex EmployeePosts: 488Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited September 2013 in Retroplex
for those living dangerously...

Hi there,

for PlexPass users that have updated to the latest beta of "Plex for Home Theater" and wish to use Retroplex with it (and why wouldn't you :P  ), you can. It's a bit more involved, but you can. I have created a branch of Retroplex on its GitHub pages (here), called "next-beta", which works with the latest beta, and should always do so. You can download and install it manually following the guide below. Once the PlexPass beta release becomes a stable public one, Retroplex main skin will be merged with the changes and you will be able to continue to use it as usual, via Preen.

This will also be a good place to report any funnies/strange issues/love/hate for the next generation Retroplex and make sure it all works perfectly for when the next amazing public release of Plex for Home Theater becomes available :)  It should work as intended but it may just as well have issues here and there. If you find anything that seems suspicious, please report it in this thread so that it can be fixed.

Ok, so how to get Retroplex for PlexPass beta release?

1. Download the "next-beta" branch here (click on the "ZIP" button).
2. Unarchive it if needed, and rename the folder to "skin.retroplex"
3. Move the folder to /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Plex Home Theater/addons

That's it!

I should probably state that this is useful ONLY for PlexPass users that wish to install the skin for the latest beta release. If you use the latest stable Plex release, do not install this version of Retroplex: it won't work. It just won't. No, really.

Thanks for all the support everybody, and don't hesitate to comment if anything comes to mind :) 

Sebastian.

UPDATE: Sept 10th 2013

- Fixed season stacking in Recently Added
- Fixed myPlex login dialog

UPDATE: Feb 19th 2013

- Fixed the unwanted red button bg appearing
- Added duration to episode infos in "Big List" view

UPDATE: Feb 17th 2013

- Added "press up/down in home lists to quickly go back to main menu"
- Fixed underlines showing in home left side menu, introduced by latest update

UPDATE: Feb 16th 2013

- Fixed the missing "unwatched" indicators everywhere
- Added "unwatched" indicators to "Search" results
- Added "unwatched" indicators to TV Show "Banner" views
- Fixed missing "HD" indicators everywhere
- Fixed missing "Studio" flags in big posters view
- Fixed the video player settings windows lists not having focus
- Fixed "Media Detailed Info" window not showing for home items
- Hide Retroplex logo in "Now Playing" if the setting for hiding it is enabled
- Changed home lists selected media font
- Tweaked several details for more smooth prettiness

Comments

• MediaJunkieMediaJunkie Posts: 238Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Awesome, really happy I can continue to use your most terrific skin! Can't wait to try it out as soon as I get access to the plexpass forums :D
  • BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 8,379Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    What happened to the tan border that goes around the whole screen. I thought it made it look more "retro" but it still looks nice.

Sometime there is a slight "flicker" for lack of a better word when going back to then home screen or on first launch. i do use my own images for slideshow on homescreen so that may have something to do with it. i noticed when if i disable all slide shows when on the home screen you can see whatever previous screen i was on in the background.
  • theziggenstheziggens Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass
    This is GREAT news! I really wanted to try the new client, but the missus would have a fit if I didn't sprinkle some RetroPlex magic on top! Thanks so much for your hard work. The skin is truly amazing!
  • plkplk Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Looks great, thanks so much!
  • radarradar Posts: 503Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks Sebastian.
  • se.bastianse.bastian Plex Employee Posts: 488Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    BigWheel wrote:

What happened to the tan border that goes around the whole screen. I thought it made it look more "retro" but it still looks nice.

Thanks for the catch (too obvious that one)!
    Fixed in the latest version, please update.

Thanks for the kind words all :)
  • claudius139claudius139 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hello Sebastian, I love your skin! I'm using it with PHT now but I would like to know one thing; can you pin point me which XML I should modify to reduce or remove the grainy effect on the background images? That's the only thing I don't like really and because I might be the only one, I will not ask for this to be in the setting screen so I can modify it myself if you give me that information!

Thank you again for that skin and having it so fast for the new Plex Home Theater

Claude
  • BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 8,379Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited January 2013
    im pretty sure it is the includes.xml in the 720p folder and the actual images are in skin.retroplex/media/backgrounds/
  • claudius139claudius139 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    BigWheel wrote:

im pretty sure it is the includes.xml in the 720p folder and the actual images are in skin.retroplex/media/backgrounds/

I think the grainy effect is done in real time no? If yes, what is the parameter in which XML for that effect?

Thank you
  • roaringhirschroaringhirsch Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    You nailed it! Thanks Sebastian, that's exactly the skin I missed ...

Micha
  • MaciejKMaciejK Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    Could you add a possibility to see which episodes are already watched/unwatched? Actually the option exist it just doesnt show anything!

maciej
  • jensujensu Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Great, switching back to retroplex feels like coming home :)
    Thanks a lot sebastian!

Cheers,
    Jens
  • jaustojausto Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass
    Great! I love it! Quick dumb question Sebastian:

Retina support is that at theme level or plex must be updated first?

Thanks
  • polux400polux400 Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    I just discovered your skin.

Simply amazing (in French interface) !

Thank you sir ! :)

Will

EDIT : May be my fault, but i can't find the fonction to change subtitles/audio for the currently watching media ?
  • downinitjrdowninitjr Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Anyone else having a problem making any selections/changes from the audio/subtitle settings menu while watching a video? It is not functioning correctly for me. I cannot see anything being selected when accessing this screen using the current version of Retroflex with Plex for Home Theater.
  • wvanderspekwvanderspek Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass
    Yes i have this problem to, but it is only with HD Content. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I hope there is a fix for this problem.

Maybe se.bastian can tell us how to fix this?
  • se.bastianse.bastian Plex Employee Posts: 488Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    downinitjr wrote:

Anyone else having a problem making any selections/changes from the audio/subtitle settings menu while watching a video? It is not functioning correctly for me. I cannot see anything being selected when accessing this screen using the current version of Retroflex with Plex for Home Theater.

Yes i have this problem to, but it is only with HD Content. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I hope there is a fix for this problem.

I'm not sure to understand: are we talking about the pop-up settings windows which appear when you click on either the audio (the note icon) or the video (the rectangle icon) settings in the video OSD? If yes, they seem to be working for me, as well as setting anything inside them seems to stick just fine. I do see some visual glitches (the video settings list flows outside the background), but they work.

What's considered as "HD content" in this context (in case that should be the problem)?

I'm eager to get this working if there's something wrong with the skin, but would need some more info. Oh, and also, does it work well in MediaStream?
  • IsmeldaIsmelda Plex Ninja Posts: 992Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    How do you adjust the sound offset? I mean I can bring on the window for it but after that no key seems to work on it...
    edited February 2013
    Ismelda wrote:

How do you adjust the sound offset? I mean I can bring on the window for it but after that no key seems to work on it...

unlike the audio volume sliders, for the offset after you are "on it" you have to hit the select button (or Enter on keyboard) then you can use left/right to change when the secondary popup shows

as far as i know if you are playing a file with dts or dolby surround sound, your receiver(or tv) is doing the decoding and controls the volume so the sliders won't work (i am assuming this is why you get this while playing "HD" content). It probably doesn't work in the default skin either. I am not 100% on this
  • downinitjrdowninitjr Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    se.bastian wrote:

I'm not sure to understand: are we talking about the pop-up settings windows which appear when you click on either the audio (the note icon) or the video (the rectangle icon) settings in the video OSD? If yes, they seem to be working for me, as well as setting anything inside them seems to stick just fine. I do see some visual glitches (the video settings list flows outside the background), but they work.

What's considered as "HD content" in this context (in case that should be the problem)?

I'm eager to get this working if there's something wrong with the skin, but would need some more info. Oh, and also, does it work well in MediaStream?

Yes this is regarding the pop-up settings window for the audio. When the window pops open I am unable to select any item by moving up or down, the red highlight bar is not present. The video pop-up window appears to work just fine. When I open that one I am able to select items by scrolling up or down, and the selected item is highlighted with the red selection bar. I just redownloaded the skin again from git to make sure and it still is the same. I don't think this has anything to do with HD vs SD content. I believe whoever chimed in is experiencing some other difficulties.